Here's what I decided on...

BoneDigger

Here's what I decided on...

Post by BoneDigger »

I purchased a 2 piece (Series I) TFO road in a 5 weight. I also purchased a STH IM Pop reel off of Cortland.com to finish out the package. The line was a Scientific Anglers floating weight forward line put on at the shop. I purchased an aluminum tube for the rod.

The gentleman at BackCountry also gave me some casting lessons for free. I immediately went home and practiced in my yard. I have a lot to learn...

Today I will be signing up for fly fishing classes at TJC. They start in late March. I am worried that this will become an expensive addiction.

Todd in Tyler
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

Welcome to flyfishing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
FishDFly

Post by FishDFly »

You did good.

One rod and many more to come.

Let's see, fly tying will be next.
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

Welcome to the addiction, and it is indeed an expensive one, though not so much as in years past. If you are able, consider coming down to Rockport in May for Ed Jaworowski's casting seminar. There are still a few spots open for Saturday's class, and private lessons on Monday.

M-D
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

Let me start the group session today....

My name is Joe and I AM A FLY FISHER!!!!!

I started off at an early age just picking up a fly rod every once and a long while. Then last spring I started flyfishing for white bass. I just enjoyed it soooo much. I couldn't get enough. I started fly fishing for perch and bass, then specks and reds. Now I just can't stop it. I tie flies. I talk about line weights and loops and knots. I build fly boxes. I shop at craft stores. I even bought glue-on fingernails to make spoon flies. I am afraid it may never end.

My name is Joe and I AM A FLY FISHER!!!!

Welcome to our group!!!! You don't have to stand up and say anything but the rest of us find that it helps to admit it.

Yes, it is an addiction and it is not a cheap one! But it is a damn fun addiction!
FishDFly

I Am Not Admitting

Post by FishDFly »

I am not admitting to anything, no matter what the threat.

I am not admitting to many rods I have, how many reels, spare spools of fly line, fly vests, flies or anything else that I have that is related to fly fishing. It is all locked up under lock and key so my wife does not count it. Such numerical data might impact future purchases. She also frequents this board to see what is going on.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

FishDFly - That's why we only admit in group therapy!!!!!!
Clip

Post by Clip »

You may find that you need to rent a 10' x 20' mini storage space for your future expansion. :lol:

Just kidding. You should be able to use a 1-car garage or half of a 2-car garage.

You can never have enuff stuff
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Birdsnest »

My friend Jason kept asking me when I was gonna pick up the long rod. This went on for a few years and finally, I told him: "Jason I got a fly rod. I have taken the first step." He smiled knowingly and responded: "Man, you are aware that was the edge of a cliff you just stepped off of."

A couple of years later I'd have to agree. :D

My name is Birdsnest, and I am a fly fisher.

Ha,
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Let welcome you to a brave new world. Not that I have anything against more convetional forms of casting a lure, but in the world of fly fishing, there is just something special. If you like it, you will never look at the sport the same way again, and if it's not really your cup of tea, you will have given it a try and have an idea of what all the hub-bub is all about. I know it'll be the first. Welcome aboard.
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

BoneDigger
My name is.......... you know the drill. Welcome aboard!!!!!!! The good thing about this addiction is that it will supercede all your other addictions. I can't think of a bad thing.
Again, welcome aboard.
FLIES ONLY

Post by FLIES ONLY »

BoneDigger, Take just the fly rod for the rest of the year...don't bring a "backup". Sink or swim with the long-rod. This time next year you will sell all the rest of your stuff. Welcome.....it's not just fishin' it's a way of life.
FLYYAK

fly

Post by FLYYAK »

AIN'T IT COOL :?: :?: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :D
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

Last year I used my casting rod twice. Toward the end of the season I was wondering why I bothered to bring it. This year I think it will be the same with the spinning rod too. :lol:
It does get to you doesn't it?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Barry's Dad

New person to teach....

Post by Barry's Dad »

Howdy Bonedigger,
You see I got in this sport at a very early age in fact it was before most on this board were born. Pre 50.s
I am one of what you might call the old Men of the board. You can loose yourself in this sport. It becomes a way of life. No longer will you be just a fisherman you will soon be know a THAT GUY THAT FLY FISHES.
Not that it is bad to be known as a FLY FISHER just makes you a little bit to the side of main stream. Where everything happens just too fast, anyway.
Slowing down on the edge of the river of life and really enjoy the change.
Welcome to the Texas Kayak 'Fly' Fisherman.
With almost 590,000 miles of named rivers and streams in Texas and miles of Gulf Coast line. You will be paddling and fly fishing for years and never have to fish the same water twice unless you want to.
OH on March 13 at Athens is the Texas Fly Fishing show. Best 6 bucks you will spend this year. Check with my Son Barry and you can learn more about the show.
ol Al
popasan

Post by popasan »

Bonedigger,

welcome to the wonderful world of Fly Fishing......here is what websters has to say about addiction:

addiction (n)

habit, compulsion, dependence, need, obsession, craving, infatuation

that just about sums it up......have fun...... :)

Larry
fredtoo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fredtoo »

I may have to resort to color coding to keep up with what reel goes with which rod. I have this fear that I am gonna show up on the coast with a reel full of 4 wt. line for my 8 wt. rod !

Ha ! like I would go on a fishing trip without taking 4 reels and rods each !
BoneDigger

Thanks...

Post by BoneDigger »

I appreciate the open arms of this forum. I can't wait to actually get out on the water and try this fly-fishing thing out. I tried several times with my $29.95 Shakespeare from WalMart but after casting the new outfit in my yard I'm now convinced that it IS indeed possible to cast a line farther than 20 ft!!!

I unfortunately have to miss the Athens fly fishing seminar because of a conflict with a work conference, but I am going to take the class at TJC. If anyone wants to take a newbie out on the water sometime for a lessong in actually CATCHING fish, let me know.

Todd in Tyler
fredtoo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fredtoo »

Unfortunately, with a $29.95 Shakespeare from WalMart...it probably is impossible...I wish that were not the case !

Remember, when you have a weight on the end of your baitcasting or spinning rig line, it's gonna go out there no matter what. If you wanna go further, just put on a heavier weight.

But a fly rig is fundamentally different. The weight of the fly will not help you cast further...it is only going along for the ride, and must be very light weight.

It is the weight of the line itself that carries the fly out there, and this is a significantly more complicated process with a great many more variables...the action of the rod, the weight of the line, where the weight is concentrated in the line, the technique of the caster, and most importantly, how much of the household grocery money did you spend on your equipment !

a couple of lessons from a pro, and some good equipment will put a smile on your face (not neccessarily on your spouse's though).

fredtoo
SamJBfan

Post by SamJBfan »

Just received my TFO Pro series 4 piece 8 wt fly rod and Pfluger Trion reel today. Of course I had to string it up and try a few casts in the backyard. This one sure feels alot nicer than my "$39.00 , Everything you need to fly fish" Combo...
Hopefully it will be a nice weekend to try it out...
Maybe the bass will be biting.

See yall
Sam
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I think you are misguided for attempting to enter the wacky world of fly fishing. It is an addiction worse than sex and dope.
I know, for I have been casting loops (many not so tight) ever since I was a kid. I walk around the house on rainy days wearing my fly vest full of useless stuff. I tie flys till the wee hours of the morning. The instructional dvd's I constantly have on the tv drive my wife crazy. I buy every new fly fishing gizmo that comes on the market. I have spent a fortune on fly boxes to hold my creations. There is no vice that requires the variences of fly tying vices. I never bring the fish home that I catch (on occasion), so, I must stop at the market and purchase the fish we eat.
And, worst of all, are the dreams I have at night, reliving that last tussel with a red or trout.
If not insane now, you will be if you continue your journy into the madness of fly fishing.
Wildwilly

You're getting in at a good time.

Post by Wildwilly »

The white bass will be running out of Lake Palestine in the Neches River and Flat Creek and in the little creeks on the Tyler side too. They are great fun to catch.