Sili Skin

Flyfisher
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Sili Skin

Post by Flyfisher »

I'm starting to see "soft plastic" type of fly patterns show up here in Houston in fly shops. These are tied with a new product called "sili skin". Anyone tried to tie with this material?

[url]http://www.saltwateredge.com/miva/4.12/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SE&Product_Code=FS03&Category_Code=FS[url][/url]

Here are a few flies tied with the stuff:

http://locofoam.com/salt_water_flies1.htm

The locofoam site in the above link also sells sili skin.

I know this probably goes against the grain of "old school" fly tiers.
FLIES ONLY

Post by FLIES ONLY »

I haven't yet....but I'm about to order some from Feather Crafters. I've seen/felt some of the flies. I think because of the soft "realistic" feel of the sili skin the fish may hold on to it a little longer. Pretty pricey stuff if you don't get good at tying with it quickly. What the hey....gotta give it a try. 'Tis the season to tie flies....falalalalalala.....
livetofish
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by livetofish »

Get some shiny gift wrap from Target, craft foam from Michaels and Super77 glue by 3M while you are in there. Spray the craft foam with the glue, wait until tacky and lay the gift wrap on the foam. Get all the bubbles out and lay something heavy like phone book on the foam. Be sure to wipe all the glue clean with acetone and place the shiny side down on the concrete and the phone book on the foam side. For some reason, the stuff does not stick very well to concrete but very hard and tight to paper. You have a season's supply of the stuff the next morning.

Great material to try crease flies. I have caught some nice bass and a few specks on these. No reds to speak of yet. I am tying up a few for the Padre Is. surf this summer.

LTF
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

Dasu
Great tip, thanks.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

I talked to Cary Marcus with Umpqua about that stuff. He played with some of it and liked it. His only caution was to be very sure of where you stick it cause it aint comin' off!
Flyfisher
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flyfisher »

I ordered a bunch and I'll let you know what I think about it.

Ray