Fly Tying Festival Was Great

Mack

Fly Tying Festival Was Great

Post by Mack »

The Texas Fly Fisherman Fly Tying Festival held today in Houston went had to be the most successful ever. Saltwater and freshwater tyers from a number of states. Featured tyer A.K. Best gave a great presentation--super nice guy, cool stories plus some amazing pictures. TKF's own Lefty Ray was there tying some neat saltwater flys.

Makes me want to fish!!!
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

It was a great time. I picked up a new vise to play around with and watch some awesome tyers.
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

The only problem I had was that I had to start tying the same time Mr. Best was starting his program. It was stil a blast. Next year I'll go for the all day commitment so I will have some time to take in the guest demo's. I understand they are trying to get Jack Gartside lined up for the guest speaker in '05. That would be one I wouldn't miss for sure.
This whole deal has me pumped for the round table at the 'Shack on the 28th. See you there. AC
Spuds (Piscator Eximius)
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club
Location: Houston (The Heights)Texas <'))))>°{ . N 29.45.24 W 95.21.19

Post by Spuds (Piscator Eximius) »

It was major fun and very informative. Thanks goes to Lefty Ray and his insight on kayak fishing. Also picked up a couple of good flys to from him to round out my box. I like his idea of using circle hooks on flys. My main experience has been on using them for snapper and they are truly magic in how they work.

I was lucky enough to catch Steve Flanagen's demo held in the morning. He tied a fly that is very much like what I have been looking for. He tied a rather large mullet/pinfish replica out of sinthetic fibers. It looks awsome! It even has realistiic red gills. Can't wait to try it out. Hope I can cast it. Thanks Steve!

I also was able to reacquaint myself with fly tying at the "beginners" table. I tied a Wooly Booger, my first fly tied in almost 40 years! Don't ask why it's been so long, but I am ready to get back into it.
:roll:
Attachments
Steve's mullet.JPG
My Wooly Booger.JPG
Wetbutt

Good Show

Post by Wetbutt »

Donna and I had a great time. This being retired has sure got a lot to offer. We watched some great flys being created. We both tied some wolly boggers and them bought more stuff. You can't have too much stuff. It was a good time. Ken& Donna
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Amen to that, Ken.
popasan

Post by popasan »

great show......i really enjoyed watching the pros' tie up some great flies.......got there right after lunch and stayed until around 4:30...talked with Greg Berlocher and watched him tie up a few....he also explained to me how he tyes up his multi foam poppers....i am going to have to try it out.....sit in on a few seminars...really fun.....

i saw flyyak, clay, hooch, ken and donna and enjoyed visiting with them.....but......i looked for you AC but no luck.....hope to see you on the 28th in AP......

one thing that surprised me ..... i never saw not one spoon fly...

had a great time..... :)

Larry
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

I was there, just stuck in the back corner. That's what happens when you can't get there until late, all the good spot's are already taken. You may have not been able to see me. I was next to the guy from Waco that was spinning hair flies and had a pretty good sized crowd chummed up. I am planning on being at the 'shack on the 28th. AC
Mack

OK, you got me....

Post by Mack »

OK, you got me, what is "the 28th at the shack" all about?
Wetbutt

APTKF

Post by Wetbutt »

Hello Mack
The Aranasas Pass chapter of TKF is having a getogether at Slowrides Kayak Shack in Aranasas Pass. for more info you can go to the AP subgroup board at the bottom of the messageboard page. It will be a lot of fun.
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

Thanks to everyone that came by. Steve Flanagan, who was sitting on my right, is a very good friend of mine from San Antonio. We kinda followed the learning curve together over the years. There should be a picture of him in either magazine story I go coming out in a few months.