Another one comes online - Fly Rod Selection and Fly Sizes!

FlyOnTheWater

Another one comes online - Fly Rod Selection and Fly Sizes!

Post by FlyOnTheWater »

Well I have been lurking on this board for at least 3 months. And I mean daily! Wow, this board has an enormous amount of knowledge (and energy)! I have come to realize that I need a Kayak to enhance my fishing experience. If it wasn't for this board I don't think I would have realized the great benefits of Kayak fishing here in the Lone Star State! I am currently Yakless, but that will change in the upcoming months. I am currently interested in the WS Tarpon 140, 120 and the Ride. I will leave this to future post's though. I am planning on going out to Athen's on March 13th for the Fly Fish show. Should be a good one! I am very interested in the Kayak presentations scheduled for this years event.

Ok, the reason for this post. I have been hooked on the Fly for cold water angling for the last 6 years (Bows on the Guad and some out of state cold water trout adventures). But, now I am ready to take my angling adventures to the next limit. I need to put aside my conventional tackle and start warm water fly fishing (i.e.: Perch, Bass - small & large mouth, and White Bass). I have a 2 piece, 8 ½ foot, 5wt, Full Flex rod. I am concerned if my Full Flex rod will be sufficient for the larger species. Sure it will do fine on the Perch, but what about the Bass and Whites that swim the lakes and rivers? What is everyone else using in regards to the fly rod (i.e.: Weight and Flex level)? I see a lot of you are using 4 and 5 wt. rods. What is the Flex rating on your rods? My local fly shop told me that the Full Flex rod will limit my fly size selection. Which is true! But, I am needing an idea of the fly sizes that I can throw (flies to include Clousers, Cypert's Minnows, Wooly's….the normal stuff). Give it time I am sure I will need a different rod for the warm water species, but I am looking for everyone's input here.

Thanks!
Dave Speer

Post by Dave Speer »

Considering that you already have a 5 weight, I'd recommend moving up to a 9' 7 weight. You'll be able to throw bigger flies when you go bass fishing and you'll have enough oomph to fish the coast too. With a 7 you shouldn't have any problem fishing Clousers in #4 or #2 and you don't need to get any bigger than that. The 7 will help you throw big poppers and deer hair bugs. There will be some limit to what you can throw but you'll see an amazing difference.

Also if it were me I would get more of a tip flex rod, in other words a faster rod. A progressive taper would be alright too but since your #5 is fairly slow, you will be able to cover more bases with a faster rod. On the days you just want to play with the bream, you can take the 5 and if you catch a nice bass that's OK too. When you want to break out the bigger flies, or when the wind is up, the fast 7 will help you handle it. Of course there is no substitute for good casting, and good casting instruction if you can get it.

BTW, your 5 weight is more than adequate to handle any freshwater species in Texas with the exception of VERY large catfish/gar. What you need a heavier rod for is so that the heavier line can deliver larger flies. Rod numbers have very little to do with fighting power in freshwater.
Wetbutt

Welcome Aboard

Post by Wetbutt »

My wife and I both got kayaks before we got serious about fly fishing. You will love it. I don't think that there is a better fishing machine in the water. You will find that the sport is full of wonderful people. Good fishing
Ken & Donna
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

Your 5 will do for the most part. It is slower which is not neccessarily a bad thing. Wind and larger flies will make it harder to cast a long distance. A 6 weight tends to be the top hill country rod. I would not go less than an 8 weight for the coast.

Check my web site for fly gear recommendations.
freefl2

Come visit us at the Fly Fish Texas event

Post by freefl2 »

Welcome to the board, and glad to see you finally stopped lurking around. I always felt like someone was watching us here :shock: :lol:

Come by and see me at the Fly Fish Texas event, I will be in a Orange Sage hat and a Sand colored Ride. Or grab Yaqui in the Blue Ride and have him hunt me down. We are doing the seminar at the event, well actually Yaqui suckered me into it :lol: but I can't wait, it will be a lot of fun! REI may be donating a few boats to compare the differences in Sit On Tops like the Ride and Sit Insides like the Loon or Pungos. Each has their pros and cons, as well as some safety tips, rigging tips, and most likely a Q&A session at the end.

Maybe we can arrange a ride in The Rides, however it may have to be off site since this is a fisheries center and I am not sure of the insurance regs yet.

As far as your rod, I use a 4wt Sage SPLCA and it is like a buggy whip, it is a challenge to fight Whites,Whities, Sandies, whatever they are called this week lol. 5wt will be a good rod for them. You may consider getting into a faster rod at some point to combat the wind and step up to a 8wt for Bass and Redfish. I know guys say "if you own a 5 get a 7" or "if you own a 4 get a 6" etc. but look at the poll do yourself a favor and get a saltwater capable reel it is only a little more, and covers both fresh and saltwater and if there is any chance of you going to the brackish water or the coast then you don't have to buy a third rod for that. I think an 8wt may be the ideal wt for your application.

[url]http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4537&highlight=fly+rod
[/url]
FlyOnTheWater

Post by FlyOnTheWater »

Wow, thanks everyone for the warm welcome and once again all the helpful input that is always available on this site. It feels great to have posted here and already getting responses. I should have jumped in sooner….lol!

I am definitely going to start out with my Orvis 5 wt Full Flex and then in time get a faster action rod in another wt class. There are more important purchases before another rod though (2 kayaks…1 for myself and 1 for the wife, or my teenage son). In regards to my son, the teenage years have seem to taken him away from fishing. I guess once you start driving and playing sports for the high school, fishing just doesn't seem to be a top priority….don't you know! Someday though I am sure he will get back into the fishing thing.

Oh I left off the fly tying vise and tools. I have been looking at them recently and researching all the info on this board regarding that hobby. My local fly shop has fly tying nights every Wednesday evenings. The great thing about that is all you need to bring is the vise and tools and they supply the rest. Free instruction and materials….seems like a great way to get started. I guess I just have to bite the bullet and get the vise and tools! The shop I go to carry the Renzetti Traveler Cam vise, so that is probably the one I am going to go with. I do like that vise a lot and it seems to have good reviews and all. I would have a hard time buying another make and model of a vise from some where's else and start showing up on Wednesday evenings for the free fly tying class with a vise I didn't buy from them. LoL!

Freefl2 and Yaqui, I will look you guys up at the Athens event in March. I am real interested in the Wilderness System Kayak line. The Ride and the Tarpon's are my top choices so far. I still haven't seen either one of these yak's though. Up here in North Texas you don't really get to lay your eyes on many yak's. I have been by REI in North Dallas, not much to look at though in regards to SOT fishing models. But, it looks like Mariner Sails in Dallas is the place to go for the WS yak's. I will probably check them out sometime, but I want to see the demo at Athens next month first.

Gee…I better stop typing before I put you all to sleep! Can you tell my excitement I have in regards to the great outdoors with a Yak?
Fishing Elvis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Fishing Elvis »

I'm am also about to buy a new vise. The Dyna-King Barracuda Trekker. There are several places online that you will probably be able to get the vise cheaper. Do a little research online and I'm sure you will find the traveler for a cheaper price. There are usually some on e-bay.
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

Stick with the Renzetti
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

The Renzetti vises are nice. I wanted to buy the traveler, but couldn't part with all the money at once, so I stepped up to a Dan-vise. So far it functions great. It's only $80 because it's mostly made out of <a href="http://heritage.dupont.com/floater/fl_delrin/floater.shtml" target=_blank>Delrin</a>, a synthetic material.
Dave Speer

Post by Dave Speer »

FlyOnTheWater,

you must be talking about Bass Pro on the fly tying. I know they carry some Griffin vises too, you might want to look at the Griffin rotary. I believe it is a touch cheaper and in any case it has a better hold on the hook than the Renzetti. The Renzetti is a popular vise, and it's a good one, but I like my hook to stay put when I'm stacking deer hair.

Anyway both REI and Mariner Sails do demo days. I know Mariner carries both Rides and Tarpons, I guess it depends on what they have in stock at any given time. I have a Ride and I love having a kayak but if I could do it over again, it would be a Tarpon. The Ride paddles a little slower than the Tarpon series and I'm a big guy, so every bit helps. The guys at Mariner Sails are pretty helpful on the kayak stuff. Send me a PM and we'll go fishing sometime since I'm in Lewisville.
Barry's Dad

welcome

Post by Barry's Dad »

Here in North TExas We kayak a lot of places and all the water you could ask for is right here before going to the coast.
If You would like to try a Tarpon 160 the FAST one let me know
I live southwest of Granbury
ol Al
FlyOnTheWater

Post by FlyOnTheWater »

Long-Haired Dave,

Actually I am referring to the Blue Heron Fly Shop for the Wednesday night FREE for all. Blue Heron is a new name in town, however, it is the previous Main Street Outfitter's. Same great people just a new name and changed up some of their locations. Craig opened up a new store over in Colleyville (off of Colleyville Blvd - Hwy. 26 and cross street Hall-Johnson Road). The location down town Fort Worth on Sundance Square closed up. But, there also is another location in Fort Worth (I-30 and Hulen Street).
You are correct though about the Bass Pro tying it up on Wednesday nights. I really haven't been there on Wednesday's yet, a little further drive for me, hmm 30 mins., still not to far off though. Yea, I have heard the tarpon's are a little faster than the Ride's. But, both have their pro's and con's. Sure, I would like to hook up sometime. Always interested in finding the Yak friendly lakes, river's etc…..

Barry's Dad,

Thanks for the offer on the T 160, I know it is the top of the line, but not sure if I want to tote that much boat around.
Yep, I am very familiar with Glen Rose. About 3 years ago I did a Canoe rental at the place off of Hwy 65 right before the bridge on the Brazos. Nice stretch of the river. I don't even have a yak yet and I am already starting to research and build a list of prospective yak fishing location through out North Texas. Yep, there are quite a bit of places to go. I want to stay away from the power boating areas on the big lakes though. But, even on some of the bigger lakes there are a lot of good size NO WAKE coves that could work out.
Hmmm….here are some of the spots that look good so far……definitely the Brazos,
maybe Lake Mineral Wells ( I think this lake has a 5mph speed limit and no jet ski, no water sking etc…) Have you tried Mineral Wells? What about the Grassland Lakes up by Decatur? And then there is Lake Jacksboro, have you been there?

I think we can start another post on Yak friendly lakes, rivers, and ponds in North Texas. I will for sure be looking for all the spots to go this coming Spring, Summer and Fall. But, I don't want to compete with the Power Boater's though.