Best Fly Tying Vises

FishDFly

Best Fly Tying Vises

Post by FishDFly »

For one of the best articles on buying a fly tying vise go to:

www.flyshop.com and click on the article. The pros and cons of nearly every vise on the market including new 2004 vises are compared.

Post by Guest »

WOW... great article. Thanks.

BTW - AFter reading their review of my DK Kingfisher vise which I bought new for $75, I am even more pleased with my purchase.

here's their verdict on my vise

Verdict:
This is a simple, elegantly finished, well-built tool. It is small and light enough to use as a traveling vise and, in C-clamp model, will perform adequately as a primary bench vise for the trout and light saltwater tyer. I've seen no other traditional vise which can match the fit, finish and functionality at this price. For tyers looking to make the upgrade to a high quality, traditional vise, this one is worth a hard look.

The Kingfisher carried a suggested retail price of $115. Dyna-King also sells the Kingfisher in a beginners kit form, which includes a tying book, basic tool kit, CD ROM (featuring Dave Engerbretson and Leroy Hyatt) and materials to tie a few flies, for a suggested price of $185.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

that was me......
popasan

Post by popasan »

GoinCoastal wrote:WOW... great article. Thanks.

BTW - AFter reading their review of my DK Kingfisher vise which I bought new for $75, I am even more pleased with my purchase.

hey Joe, i had a chance last weekend, while i was in Houston, to take a closer look at the DK Kingfisher....really nice.....
i just upgraded my vice.....i got the Dyna King Barracuda and love it.... :)

Larry
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

Very NICE Larry!!! I do not think you will be disappointed. I have really liked my Kingfisher. I got the c-clamp model. When I bought it, I didn't really shop a bunch of different vises other than to price them over the net. When I went to San Antonio last fall on business, I stopped at Gruene Outfitters and just looked around at materials and vises. Of course, they only had a couple of vises in my price range. WHen they offered to sell the demo model with packaging for $75, well that fit my budget very well.

After tying on it, I love it!!!!!!! Especially, the jaws!!! I love the way the differnt size hooks lock into the grooves on the jaws and very minimal adjustment if any. I was really pleased to see them rate it so favorably in that article. Makes that $75 purchase even sweeter.

I just love Gruene Outfitters!!!!! Love that vise too!!!!
fredtoo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fredtoo »

instead of the c-clamp, try the weighted base. Cabela's has them for $10. I really like the flexibility of being to move it where I want, and even to twist it around if I like.

also can lean your elbows on the desk if you like.

fredtoo