Spoon fly

Fishing Elvis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Spoon fly

Post by Fishing Elvis »

Just curious what kind of material everyone uses to make the spoon fly and if there is somehwere online to order it. Also, what type of hook do you use? I'm mainly interested in making the dupree type spoon fly instead of the cave's wobbler type with the mylar tubing. Thanks.
FLIES ONLY

Post by FLIES ONLY »

I make 2 sizes. One is on a Mustad 34011 size 4. The lareger one is on the same style hook, size 2. The smaller one is the one I primarily use.
For the body use Mylar self adhesive tape doubled over on itself or mix colors for a 2-toned fly. Berkley Steelon 45# for a weedguard has worked really well. It's easy to shape. The hooks are not a real heavy wire and lend themselves quite well to bending in the curve required to make the spoon shape.
If you are in the Houston area Anglers Edge and Fishing Tackle Unlimited (both locations) have a wide variety of colors of mylar tape. Craft stores will have some, but not a big selection.
Hope that helps. If you have any quetions let us know!
livetofish
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by livetofish »

Ted/Snookdude,
does FTU have 3/8" and 1/4" prismatic eyes?

LTF
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

LTF - I pretty sure they've got both. At least they normaly do, but they have been a little low on supplies lately
fredtoo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fredtoo »

flies, could you elaborate on the type and application of epoxy?

thanks,
fredtoo
FLIES ONLY

Post by FLIES ONLY »

raw10628
I've been using Devcon 2-ton epoxy....it's a 30 min epoxy. I mix it up on a small piece of waxed paper (about the size of a quarter). Mix it up with a toothpick till you get it mixed together well. Then I apply it with a small disposable paint brush (24 for $3.00 at Hobby Lobby). Put it on the hook-shank (concaved) side 1st, then flip it over and put a coat on the convex side. Stick it on the fly drier. Set it and forget it . Leave it on all night. If it's still a little tacky the next day, put a little Sally Hard as Nails on it and that will fix the tackiness. Holler at me if you have any questions.
Dasu,
I'm pretty sure they should. Sometimes they run a little low.