Eager to learn

LaydenJ

Eager to learn

Post by LaydenJ »

Hello everyone, name is Layden. I live in Sugar Land and am looking to get into kayak fishing. I have a little experience with canoes but none whatsoever with kayaks. Im an avid fisherman and have the itch to get into yaking. If anyone in the houston area could take the time to show me the ropes id greatly appreciate it, or if someone can at least point me in the right direction that'd be appreciated as well.
mwatson71

Re: Eager to learn

Post by mwatson71 »

When can you fish? Weekdays, weekends only? Do you have a kayak or would you need to rent or borrow? I have introduced several friends and neighbors to the beauty of kayak fishing.
LaydenJ

Post by LaydenJ »

Usually weekends only but I can always take a day off. I’d have to borrow or rent a yak. I don’t wanna shell out $500+ and not be comfortable with what I’m doing.
LaydenJ

Post by LaydenJ »

I guess it’d also be important to note that I’d need a rundown of suggested gear/ clothing that’s specific for kayak fishing before o went with anyone. Also I’m a heavier guy at 5’ 10” 230 lbs if that needs to be taken into consideration
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Aside from a kayak, I think the most important piece of gear is a PFD. I am trying to think on the fly of what I load each time. PFD, rod holders, rods, dry bag for phone, net, anchor, an assortment of lures, stringer if I plan on keeping anything that day. This time of year I am already out of my waders. I usually wear an AFTCO samurai hooded shirt and shorts, polarized sunglasses if I am fishing day, 360 light and headlamp if fishing night. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

I think most kayaks will handle a guy your size with adequate gear so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Tbolt0405

Post by Tbolt0405 »

In addition to my fishing stuff, I also have a small first aid kit. The only things that I've added is a snakebite kit and a SWAT-T tourniquet.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Tbolt,

The first aid kit is a good reminder that I need to put mine in my kayak and not leave it in the car. I once jumped out of my kayak in the shallows out of excitement trying to chase some reds and sliced my leg up on an oyster bed. Bled like crazy and fortunately my fishing buddy had his first aid kit handy. A quick peroxide rinse and neosporin probably saved me from a whole lot of nastiness.