Offshore kayaking

Poncoloco

Offshore kayaking

Post by Poncoloco »

What up guys, I’m new to the site and being kayaking for about 3 - 4 years already. Not much experience but just enough to get around. To the experienced kayakers, any suggestions how to kayak off shore in Galveston for beginners
Being kayaking by Dike Beach, West Bay, Galveston Bay and want to try a different experience.
SWFinatic

Re: Offshore kayaking

Post by SWFinatic »

Welcome! What kayak do you have?
Poncoloco

Post by Poncoloco »

I do have an old town 12’ sit on top PDL
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I haven't kayaked BTB in Galveston despite being in Houston, but I have made the drive to Corpus Christi and would highly recommend it on a nice flat day. And the bay system down there is fun and productive as well.

If I were to kayak BTB in Galveston, I'd definitely look for one of those days where the water is green to the beach and flat. I'm not sure how far out you have to go in Galveston to get to deep enough water to catch kings, etc., that are readily available in CC at a mile out. Sharks and big reds can be found pretty close in Galveston if that's what you are after.
Poncoloco

Post by Poncoloco »

Good to know and I must try very soon. Also I’m looking for groups that enjoy BTB in Galveston, I don’t want to aventure by myself out there.
Thank you for the tip
dnordin

Post by dnordin »

I am just getting back into kayaking but I used to go BTB in Galveston frequently. This time of year the water can be very calm, check the pier cam at 91st pier to get an indication of how the surf is. Its usually flatter in the morning.
On a good day you can pick up Spanish mackerel pretty close to shore specks/reds too.
One thing I feel I need to point out is that it can be dangerous to go BTB by yourself. I used to do it all the time, but I got in trouble once, and it was not a fun day.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

If you are looking to get offshore, be sure to go with some people. Check out the BTB board within TKF. Once the summer comes, people will start to post up trips. That will be a great opportunity to join in on the fun with some knowledgeable people. Tight lines!