Brazoz Below PK

tmds3

Brazoz Below PK

Post by tmds3 »

I have been doing some reading about trips down the Brazos below PK and have some questions.

1. Is this something a bunch of rookies could do?
2. How many hours to the first highway(16) and then the second highway(4)
3. Where would be the best place to put in and take out.

We are still looking for our kayaks but they will be between 8-12 feet and will be doing some fishing as we go as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
tmds3

Re: Brazoz Below PK

Post by tmds3 »

Bump For Info
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Your best bet is to use the services of Rochelles since they own two of the landings.

You will launch at HWY 16 so not sure what you mean by asking how long to get there. It is 20 miles down to HWY 4. Figure about 12 hours of actually paddling time. Most do an overnight camp and little fishing. If you really want to fish allow 2 nights and 3 days.

They also offer a 10 mile trip starting at HWY 4 that makes a nice day trip, but not as scenic. It can be done on its on or tacked as an extra day on the 20 miles trip. Then they have an additional 10 miles to HWY 180 if you want a 40 miler.

Run "Rochelles canoe" through search and check there site for info.
tmds3

Post by tmds3 »

Hirschhunter wrote:Your best bet is to use the services of Rochelles since they own two of the landings.

You will launch at HWY 16 so not sure what you mean by asking how long to get there. It is 20 miles down to HWY 4. Figure about 12 hours of actually paddling time. Most do an overnight camp and little fishing. If you really want to fish allow 2 nights and 3 days.

They also offer a 10 mile trip starting at HWY 4 that makes a nice day trip, but not as scenic. It can be done on its on or tacked as an extra day on the 20 miles trip. Then they have an additional 10 miles to HWY 180 if you want a 40 miler.

Run "Rochelles canoe" through search and check there site for info.
Thanks for the answer, I thought you could put in at the dam or near it, didn't know the put in point was at the highway. Will check them out.
M.saxatilis

Post by M.saxatilis »

tmds3: At rochelles, one can camp and hire a shuttle that will put you in at Hwy16 put in. Then paddle down to Hwy4 bridge and you will arrive at your campsite at Rochelles. I have taken this 20 mile trip and it is one of the most scenic trips on local water.

The recomendation to take this section in three days two night segments gives you plenty of time to fish and just relax. Low pressure paddling.

Having paddled it a couple, of times in a canoe, I cannot give recomendations in a kayak, YET, but this will come with time.

The dam is upriver from Hwy16 bridge about two miles or so. There is no public acess from the dam to the Hwy 16 bridge that I know of.

Your real concern should be shuttling boats and gear. It is well worth the price to hire R's to do this job for you. Finding a suitable place to park your car for three days might be a problem.

Other than that calling the Brazos River Athority to find out when they will be letting water out of that dam should be your next concern. When that happens water rises fast and high, so be advised.

Last check for weather forcasts in this area during this time frame. It can make a safe trip dangerous if there happens to come a flash flood.

Just my two cents worth.

M.s