Petite, athletic female... Moken 10 Lite or Moken 12.5 for first kayak? Opinions please...

rsdroid

Petite, athletic female... Moken 10 Lite or Moken 12.5 for first kayak? Opinions please...

Post by rsdroid »

Hi all, new the forum. Have kayaked a few times recreationally and really enjoyed it. I had been planning on buying one, but recently got into fishing as well. Now looking to combine the two, as I already love kayaking and think it will be the ultimate for fishing. Have been out kayak fishing in a friend's cheap Pelican sit inside and loved it, even in that.

I started out looking at the cheapies at Academy, then the Eagle Talon at Dicks while it was on sale. After realizing everything I would have to do to it to get the Talon where I wanted it, along with buying a cart for it, I decided I should just go for better quality to begin with.

Wound up at Austin C&K and saw the Feel Free Moken series. While it's definitely more money than I was originally planning on spending, I know it will be worth it.

I went ahead and ordered a Moken 10 Lite, the attraction being the wheel in the keel and the smaller size and weight being more manageable for me, especially out of the water. Loading it into my truck, hauling it up and down steep banks for the load in points in the rivers in the Hill Country, etc. I'm 5'1", 125, and will be taking it out by myself a lot of the time. I will mostly be fishing in the rivers and lakes around here, Canyon Lake, the Blanco River, Guadalupe, Pedernales, etc.

I did consider the Moken 12.5 too for the presumably extra speed the longer length would bring and I'm now having second thoughts because I would also like to occasionally fish at the coast as well. I would like to fish protected bays down there as well as maybe taking it out just off the beach, just a little past where I can wade out to while surf fishing. I know longer is better for this, but I'm leery of going too long and heavy. I don't want the size to be a deterrent to taking it out regularly locally, which is where I will be 95% of the time. Like I said, I'm athletic and I've worked on ranches and handled heavy objects a lot, so I'm more capable than many females my size, but this is also for fun! LOL.

Anyone (or your SO) have experience with the 12.5? Is the length worth the extra weight and how manageable is it in and out of the water for someone my size? Or should I stick with something I know for sure I can easily just load and go? Especially when I will only be at the coast a few times a year?

FYI, I'm staying away from the Lure series due to weight, plus I like sitting right on the kayak and feeling a part of it.

Thanks!
TigerLandSportsman

Re: Petite, athletic female... Moken 10 Lite or Moken 12.5 for first kayak? Opinions please...

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

I have the moken 14. I love the wheel in the keel. I also went from a 10' to it.

It's not hard to load by myself. I start by getting the front on the bed extender, and then push from the back.

It's a tough call for a small as you are, because you center of gravity it a lot lower and smaller. I needed the extra length for stability. I'm 6'5", so the 10' was manageable, but felt very unstable.
Rsparrow

Re: Petite, athletic female... Moken 10 Lite or Moken 12.5 for first kayak? Opinions please...

Post by Rsparrow »

I think you got yourself a very nice Yak. Be easy for you to handle and will give a bunch of options for fishing. While it might not be the best choice for all the fishing locations, it will work. For some it will excel. That is true for any boat. I second guessed my purchase too but after several very enjoyable trips, that feeling went away. Enjoy!
rsdroid

Post by rsdroid »

Thanks for the replies. I'm not too worried about being able to load and unload a heavier yak into my truck bed, but I am worried about getting it from the truck to the rivers and back. From the specs, it's an extra 20 pounds before gear.

When I looked at the 10 Lite in person, I think I'll even be able to stand in it. I have good balance, and there's a little space in front of the seat. If I can't, it's not a deal breaker.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

rsdroid wrote:Is the length worth the extra weight
if:
- you already have enough space for stuff you want to take with you
- you don't plan to paddle for 10+ miles a day
then answer is 'No'.
crusher

Post by crusher »

Buy for your 95% of the time. 10 ft is probably the right choice.
And in a year or two, buy a second one that's bigger if you still want a longer, faster kayak. Most of us own one more than we need. :oops:
TigerLandSportsman

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

crusher wrote:Buy for your 95% of the time. 10 ft is probably the right choice.
And in a year or two, buy a second one that's bigger if you still want a longer, faster kayak. Most of us own one more than we need. :oops:
Very true. I did not get rid of the 10' when I got the longer one.
rsdroid

Post by rsdroid »

Thanks all. I'll stick with my original gut choice in the 10 Lite. It's the only one I sat down in and it immediately just felt right. I could reach everything easily and it didn't feel like a barge. Can't wait to get it!
yacknewby

Post by yacknewby »

You might want to consider using a Yak cart, especially in the Hill country. Just a thought.
rsdroid

Post by rsdroid »

Well, have had my Moken 10 Lite out a few times now and I'm loving it! Paddles great, easy to maneuver in and out of the water. I think this was the perfect choice for me. Added a rod holder on the front right track and a drink holder on the left. I put a no drill, DYI anchor trolley on the right side, but probably going to switch it to the left side as I find myself fishing off the right side more. No crate yet, still deciding if I want one. Stowing anchor line and tackle box where the crate would go at the moment. Right now only taking two rods with me so I'm using the right rear flush mount rod holder to stash the anchor. I found a perfect size $15 cooler at HEB that fits in the very rear of the tank well and has a reach in lid. Being only a 10 footer makes it easy for me to reach all the way back there, even as short as I am. I think if I had a longer stern tank well, it would be hard for me to reach the back of it from the seat. Very happy with my set up so far!
Attachments
IMAG1201.jpg
IMAG1197.jpg
IMAG1195.jpg
Last edited by rsdroid on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

As I was reading along I was hoping you wouldn't change your mind. Very nice set up and nice yak.
I have the 11.5 Lure. I just love these feelfree kayaks!
And.. Welcome to TKF! :)
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

rsdroid.... Is that one pic of your yak on the water at the Guadalupe just off of Rebecca Creek boat ramp 11? If so, I thought I might recognize that pic. If not, it looks really similar to that area. It's a really great area to kayak or even kayak fish at. I've fished the area a few times. If the fishing doesn't attract ya, then it's the scenery. :)
rsdroid

Post by rsdroid »

Cityfisher wrote:As I was reading along I was hoping you wouldn't change your mind. Very nice set up and nice yak.
I have the 11.5 Lure. I just love these feelfree kayaks!
And.. Welcome to TKF! :)
Thanks! Glad I stuck with it too! So easy and fun!
rsdroid

Post by rsdroid »

Yakety_Yak wrote:rsdroid.... Is that one pic of your yak on the water at the Guadalupe just off of Rebecca Creek boat ramp 11? If so, I thought I might recognize that pic. If not, it looks really similar to that area. It's a really great area to kayak or even kayak fish at. I've fished the area a few times. If the fishing doesn't attract ya, then it's the scenery. :)
Bingo! It is beautiful through there!
themadhunter

Post by themadhunter »

Yakety_Yak wrote:rsdroid.... Is that one pic of your yak on the water at the Guadalupe just off of Rebecca Creek boat ramp 11? If so, I thought I might recognize that pic. If not, it looks really similar to that area. It's a really great area to kayak or even kayak fish at. I've fished the area a few times. If the fishing doesn't attract ya, then it's the scenery. :)
Damn you got all that from a pic of a hill and a pasture? ImageImage
Impressive bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

themadhunter wrote:
Damn you got all that from a pic of a hill and a pasture? ImageImage
Impressive bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Even though I live in Houston, I try and fish many different areas to see what's out there. :)