Areas around Austin, TX?

niswanger

Areas around Austin, TX?

Post by niswanger »

Hello all,

Mid-40’s guy here that decided to ditch other time-wasters in his life to get back on the water. Picked up two Hobie kayaks (2008 13’ Revolution and 2011 PA 14). I’m about done rigging them and looking for some good water. I have lots of bass fishing experience in my younger years and gulf flats fishing when we lived in Florida. For now, I am looking for the following things:

1. Good water around Austin with good launch ramps (I live in Round Rock). Looking for deep water to get acclimated to using these mirage drive kayaks. I made my trailer such that I can use a launch ramp for my PA14, you can see how here: https://youtu.be/3pg1h-6Z4UQ?t=2m41s
2. Good spots with #1 in mind to catch largemouth bass.

Thank you,
Roy
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Areas around Austin, TX?

Post by Ron Mc »

Lake Georgetown - Corps of Engineers parks at each end - depending on lake level, getting down from Tejas Camp may be difficult, but it's great fishing.
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Ron Mc wrote:Lake Georgetown - Corps of Engineers parks at each end - depending on lake level, getting down from Tejas Camp may be difficult, but it's great fishing.
Yes, I've thought about Lake Georgetown, but having a look at Tejas I feel it's not an area/option for me. One of my requirements stated good launch ramp and deep water. See, I don't want to take out these pedal Mirage Drive kayaks and break them on my first trip. So to this end, which of the 3 parks for launching do you recommend? Jim Hogg, Russel or Cedar Breaks?

Also, how's the bass fishing on Lake Georgetown?

Thanks,
Roy
rbdavis3591

Post by rbdavis3591 »

Walter E Long Lake (aka Decker Lake) with its two boat ramps. Also if both boat ramps are occupied you can also launch your kayaks from the shore.
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Thank you sir. Ha, I think it's been a few years since I've been to Decker Lake. I think my father took me there when I was a wee little boy. He was stationed at Bergstrom.

-Roy
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

niswanger wrote:
Ron Mc wrote:Lake Georgetown - Corps of Engineers parks at each end - depending on lake level, getting down from Tejas Camp may be difficult, but it's great fishing.
Yes, I've thought about Lake Georgetown, but having a look at Tejas I feel it's not an area/option for me. One of my requirements stated good launch ramp and deep water. See, I don't want to take out these pedal Mirage Drive kayaks and break them on my first trip. So to this end, which of the 3 parks for launching do you recommend? Jim Hogg, Russel or Cedar Breaks?

Also, how's the bass fishing on Lake Georgetown?

Thanks,
Roy
bass fishing is great on Lake Georgetown - those creek arms at Jim Hogg is what I'd recommend - probably find the most structure there.
Also hybrid stripers and white bass
TitosNTrout

Post by TitosNTrout »

I’m a hobie guy as well and you shouldn’t have a problem breaking the mirage drive in Gtown. Get a fish finder and keep an eye on the depth. I’ve hit oyster shell at full speed and while it bent the rod that holds the fin slightly there was no significant damage.

On another note brushy Creek is a good option. Fish the rock wall and the golf course side with pumpkin shaker head or a square bill. Should be able to hook a couple.
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

TitosNTrout wrote:I’m a hobie guy as well and you shouldn’t have a problem breaking the mirage drive in Gtown. Get a fish finder and keep an eye on the depth. I’ve hit oyster shell at full speed and while it bent the rod that holds the fin slightly there was no significant damage.

On another note brushy Creek is a good option. Fish the rock wall and the golf course side with pumpkin shaker head or a square bill. Should be able to hook a couple.
Mind sharing a link to an example of a pumpkin shaker head? I assume a square bill is a square bill crank bait, but isn't that area shallow? I live just 3 miles from that body of water. I've orders several 1/2, 3/8, 1/4 ounce of these jigs/spinner type baits: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/z-man-t ... hatterbait

Back in my bass days my favs were: Purple culprit worm rigged w/o weight 4O hook weedless, Hedon Zara Spook, Hedon Luck 13 plug, several Rapala stick baits, and finally 6" live shiner plopped in lilly pads using a surf rod and 40lb test line tied to the tip (like a cane pole setup) :)

-Roy
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

Come fish the Colorado River with me on Saturday morning. Bring the PA
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Welderdude wrote:Come fish the Colorado River with me on Saturday morning. Bring the PA
Would love to; however, I can't for 2 reasons: 1. I'm not fully rigged just yet (just another weekend day or so and I'll be ready). 2. One of my 3 sons is in the heat of high school marching band season, this Saturday is West Lake Marching festival.

This time of year though picking up for fishing (water cooling) it's also marching season. I'm looking forward to some easy jaunts to get acclimated first, then by spring I'll do some serious fishing outings.

-Roy
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

I feel your pain. Hit me up when you can go...I am in georgetown and not opposed to fishing the barren bitch. Have caught some nice ones out of there
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Welderdude wrote:I feel your pain. Hit me up when you can go...I am in Georgetown and not opposed to fishing the barren bitch. Have caught some nice ones out of there
Soon, I'll be ready soon. So Lake Georgetown is known as the barren bitch because it's just void of good fish or something else? As far as the Colorado, how the water depth any areas you have to portage or drag your yak?

-Roy
Endo

Post by Endo »

Decker Lake and Bastrop Lake both have decent boat launches.

Granger Lake is another spot, but it can be pretty stumpy and low-vis, so sounds like that is not what you are wanting on your maiden voyage.

Does Town Lake have back-in boat launches? I thought it did, but you'd have to use the googles. I just carry/drag to launch on town lake areas.

I'd mention Lake Austin, but I think it is a mere ghost of what it was for bass, after the grass carp boondoggle. I haven't fished there in a long time.

There's always Lake Travis.

Others mentioned Georgetown Lake and even though I live close to it, I've never fished it, but do know it has the ramps you are looking for.

On a side note, I was confused by what you meant by pulling your mirage drive, but you should always remove it when launching and trailering your yak. Only drop it in once you are in the water with sufficient depth and ready to go. Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say though.

Good luck!

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I don't know if you consider Lake Fayette "around" Austin, but that's where I go when I am looking for some bass. 2 great boat ramps and no problem with my Hobie Outback there. Water is 35 feet deep in some spots, but Cuervo Jones swears by crankbaits in creek channels. Having experienced some of that, I'd have to agree with him.

Another option is Lake Bastrop, and the lake in the Bastrop State Park (two separate lakes). I have not fished either of them, but you might want to check it out on Google Earth.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

shoffer wrote:I don't know if you consider Lake Fayette "around" Austin, but that's where I go when I am looking for some bass. 2 great boat ramps and no problem with my Hobie Outback there. Water is 35 feet deep in some spots, but Cuervo Jones swears by crankbaits in creek channels. Having experienced some of that, I'd have to agree with him.

Another option is Lake Bastrop, and the lake in the Bastrop State Park (two separate lakes). I have not fished either of them, but you might want to check it out on Google Earth.
Lake Bastrop (I prefer launching from South Shore Park) and Fayette (I prefer launching from Oak Thicket Park) are two great kayaking lakes, especially in the colder months since both are power plant lakes. The lake at Bastrop State Park is dry due to a dam failure a couple years ago.