Request for saltwater kayak recommendations

Joyful Pursuit

Request for saltwater kayak recommendations

Post by Joyful Pursuit »

Hello all,

I am not exactly new to kayak fishing, but I'm getting back into it after a few years of hiatus. Some advice would be appreciated as I begin shopping for a new boat. I'm sure there's other topics I could glean some information from, so send me some links if I'm retreading old ground. For example, the link to KayakBasics in the stickied "how to find the right kayak for you" is 404'd.

So, previously I owned a cheap pelican that I used on the rivers and lakes of central Texas. Unfortunately, it was lost in a flood after I moved to Houston, hence the hiatus. Now, while a cheap craigslist boat was perfect for the man that I was, the man that I am wants something NICE to mess around with on the coast. However, googling has caused some serious analysis paralysis to set in, so I'd like to make a shortlist from suggestions here to go out and paddle around in.

The main activities for this boat will primarily be saltwater fishing inshore with some river/lake fishing on occasion. I'm 6ft, 240 lbs (on the downward trend) with no disabilities to worry on. I'd spend up to $1000 on the boat, plus whatever rigging needs to be done. If you can make a case for spending more, I'd listen.

Thank you for your time/advice.
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Request for saltwater kayak recommendations

Post by Neumie »

Welcome back to the sport.

If your priority coastal fishing then I recommend something which will paddle efficiently and has decent tracking. What rivers are you planning on fishing? Lager ones such as Brazos or Colorado? Given your build you'll want one with about 400lbs weight capacity (here's a post I made about determining weight capacity of kayaks: Click). I would recommend something around 13 feet in length as I feel that's a good all around length for a kayak.

In this day in age buying new for $1000 is somewhat hard. Some new options I'd recommend would be the Vibe Sea Ghost 130, Wilderness Systems Ride 135, Old Town Topwater 120, Viking Profish 400, Ocean kayak Prowler 13, and the Perception Pescador on the low end of the weight capacity. Going used opens up quite a bit more.
SteveRetrieve

Post by SteveRetrieve »

I have a Viking Profish Reload I’d sell you for $1000 :) it’s rigged and ready.

Choosing which kayak to buy is pretty tough. No boat is perfect, it’s all about prioritizing what’s most important to you.

Stability usually means a wider boat; wider boats are typically heavier and harder to paddle; longer skinnier boats are better paddling boats but less stable, etc.

Another BIG factor that a lot of people overlook is transportation. Are you going to car top it? Is it light enough for you to manage by yourself after a long day on the water? How are you going to get it from the car to the water across the mud or sand?

For me, I liked what the wider, heavier kayaks had to offer, but I REALLY didn’t want something that was a beast to transport and paddle. Those spontaneous “throw the kayak on the car and go fishing for a few hours just because” trips would be less frequent because of the hassle.

Best of luck out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I'll add what I always say about salt kayaks - if your plan is to travel distance in coast wind, you want long, low, narrow and fast (=efficient).
That Viking reload is a great choice, and still tough to beat a T160.
There are a couple listed on the for sale page
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... um.php?f=3
crusher

Post by crusher »

I'd suggest buying used to get more for the money and if you want to move to something else next season, then subtract $100 and sell it.
Ocean Trident/Prowlers are nice all-round kayaks. Most Ocean, Wilderness, Viking, or Jackson kayaks can do you fine so long as you follow above guidelines on wide/narrow/fast/stable.... With Neumie, I think 13ish ft is a nice length for versatility.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

You might contact Rockport Ryan at Rockport Kayak. He's replacing his Viking rental fleet with new boats and has Profish 400's(13.5 ft) and Reloads(15 ft) for sale, very reasonably priced. Unless you're going with a pedal kayak, one of Ryan's fleet would serve you well. If I was buying another kayak, I'd be all over one of those 400's. The Reload is a fantastic yak, but it's too big for me. I paddled a Reload Z at Roy's Demo and it was a rocket ship! Like Ron said, the T160 is also a great yak.

Good luck shopping. TexasJim
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

If your plan is to fish inland and inshore, I'd find a used T160. For all around use, mine has served me very well. I can load it onto the top of my Sequoia by myself for those spontaneous trips previously mentioned, it is fast and stable, tracks well, and has endured hundreds of hours in the salt with no problems other than the normal oyster rash. I rented several other paddle kayaks before buying the T160 and found that it suited my needs and wants to a "T".
Barrynoids

bsp Request for saltwater kayak recommendations

Post by Barrynoids »

I just got a kayak and have been fishing a few times and I only have been to the light house and hickory mounds i am looking for some more good spots for fishing out of a kayak I was planning on going tommorow and wanted to fish some different spots any advice?
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I'm always looking at used kayaks for a deal I can't pass up. I come across just about every kayak model and manufacturer available except for the Vibe Seaghost 130. If you find a used one for sale it won't last more than a few days. There's a reason they're rarely for sale. The Seaghost 130 has a good blend of stability, length and speed. IMO they provide the most bang for your buck.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Along the lines of SteveRetrieve's comments, car-topping is easy GOING to the launch. After paddling five miles, my kayak feels like it's full of water when I try to put it back on the top of my truck(it's not). I quickly made an extended receiver hitch T-Bar, so I can haul my 12-foot yak in my truck bed. One hundred pound kayaks are just looney, to me. Not just the lifting aspect, you have to push them thru the water. Lighter and faster for me. Also, buy a good, light paddle. TexasJim
hydroman19

Post by hydroman19 »

I had been looking at the Vikings and Ocean Kayaks for awhile; I'm picking up my first boat end of this week. I was considering a Viking 400, but found a deal on a Profish GT and a 12 footer is easier for me to store. I've read a lot of good things about Viking stability and handling, not to mention they're light!