Long time fishing, first time kayaking

MTStringerS

Long time fishing, first time kayaking

Post by MTStringerS »

Joined a few years ago when I thought I was going to get my family into kayaking. Life happened! Anyway I am back and getting ready to get into the kayak world. I have been fishing since I could walk and I love every minute of it. Just tried out a Hobie Outback last week for a day on the Texas bay near Aransas Pass. Loved it. It confirmed my decision to go forward with a kayak purchase.

Heading out to the ACK demo days next weekend to pick out my new kayak. I love the hands free of the Hobie's but want to try a few just so I can be sure that Hobie is the one for me and to choose the right model. They are a little pricey and I don't want to spend that much without trying em out. I had a great time in the outback but I am leaning towards the PA14. I am a bigger guy at 6'2 and 260 so I think it will be a good fit but hopefully the demo will confirm it.

I fish the highland lakes a lot for bass and anything that will grab a hook but I want to do more fishing on the coast. So I want a 'yak that will do just about anything I ask.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. I have been reading the forums quite a bit so I thought as I get going I should post a little too.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Long time fishing, first time kayaking

Post by kickingback »

Welcome and good luck on the purchase. A PA14 is a good choice for inshore, offshore and fresh!
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

MTStringer8 wrote:Joined a few years ago when I thought I was going to get my family into kayaking. Life happened! Anyway I am back and getting ready to get into the kayak world. I have been fishing since I could walk and I love every minute of it. Just tried out a Hobie Outback last week for a day on the Texas bay near Aransas Pass. Loved it. It confirmed my decision to go forward with a kayak purchase.

Heading out to the ACK demo days next weekend to pick out my new kayak. I love the hands free of the Hobie's but want to try a few just so I can be sure that Hobie is the one for me and to choose the right model. They are a little pricey and I don't want to spend that much without trying em out. I had a great time in the outback but I am leaning towards the PA14. I am a bigger guy at 6'2 and 260 so I think it will be a good fit but hopefully the demo will confirm it.

I fish the highland lakes a lot for bass and anything that will grab a hook but I want to do more fishing on the coast. So I want a 'yak that will do just about anything I ask.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. I have been reading the forums quite a bit so I thought as I get going I should post a little too.
The PA14 is a great all around kayak especially for lakes IMO. If you fish the saltwater marshes much you'll find it's not that good- really hard to paddle it. Also it's heavy. For me hauling mine on a trailer has worked best. If I had to load it in and out of a truck bed I wouldn't do it- too heavy. I think demo days is the best way to test them out. Hope the forecast for Austin this weekend doesn't come true. Some talk about a wet weekend.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

First in for most, I would like to say welcome to the world of Kayak Fishing! Going to ACK is a great way to figure out what Kayak will best suit you. I wish you well on your endeavors to finding the best Kayak for the kind of fishing you are going to be doing. I personally, have a Hobie outback. If you have any questions or need any kind of advice, please don’t hesitate to give me a call. 832–588–7091
MTStringerS

Post by MTStringerS »

SWFinatic - thanks for the advice. Right now I probably will be putting it in and out of a truck. I am sure the excitement and newness of it all will overpower the weight for at least a few trips. I might be changing my tune after a long hot day on the water. The truck bed might be pretty high. :shock:

And Yakety Yak, I really appreciate the welcome. I have always love just getting out on the lake or the bay and enjoying nature and fishing and I think a kayak puts you that one step closer to really being there. Not sure if that is just my sentimental old age kickin in or what. Thanks again and I might just take you up on the advice offer one of these days.

I will post a pic of my new or used kayak once I find it.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I just pulled the trigger on a new 2019 Hobie PA 14. Going to pick her up today!!!!! Got the 10% fishing show discount by putting $100 down over the phone during the show to ACK. Paid in full yesterday! Now I have two! :dance:
MTStringerS

Post by MTStringerS »

That's great. I am jealous kickingback. I think I am going to pick up a used 2017 PA14 this weekend. Have it set up to go look at it on Saturday. I think I am in the minority but I was hoping for the papaya orange one. The used one is dune.

Enjoy!!
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by TKFStubb »

Great choice! As long as you invite some some of us on your trips to break it in?
MTStringerS

Post by MTStringerS »

Well I am hoping to break it in right at the BTB Bob Hall outing coming up in a week or two. Maybe I will see you there.