New Member, new to kayaking, back into fishing after 15 years and wanting to get into saltwater

1964F100

New Member, new to kayaking, back into fishing after 15 years and wanting to get into saltwater

Post by 1964F100 »

I just picked up a couple of older kayaks, wilderness systems tarpon 140 and liquid logic manta ray 14. Got them basically free and decided to give it a try, went out on a camping trip to Martin Dies State Park and caught 8 smaller bass and am hooked on this kayak fishing and looking forward to going more
Crusader

Re: New Member, new to kayaking, back into fishing after 15 years and wanting to get into saltwater

Post by Crusader »

Your tarpon is one of the best fishing kayaks :)

about getting into saltwater -- there is plenty of info around. Just keep in mind -- bay fishing is more like a hunt than fishing. Pierce Marsh is where a lot of beginners start -- give it a try.
1964F100

Re: New Member, new to kayaking, back into fishing after 15 years and wanting to get into saltwater

Post by 1964F100 »

The Tarpon is the one I have been using it works well besides the seat and at around 275 I was not expecting how wet it was the cockpit had about 2 inches of water in it.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

There are probably scupper plugs under your seat - I took mine out on my T160, so the water beneath the seat will drain through the scuppers.
My Kestral only has one scupper at your feet, and your seat is lower than the foot scupper - it's pretty much all paddle run-off that collects in the seat, so I keep a sponge behind me to bail it occasionally.
1964F100

Post by 1964F100 »

all the plugs are out as soon as i sit in it water comes in through the ones at the feet, I ordered some plugs and am going to try them out and see how it goes with them in
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I always plug holes under seat, but I am 180 -- water gets on my seat only if water is too rough or I spill it there myself.