Looking at kayak options

aroundthebend

Looking at kayak options

Post by aroundthebend »

Have a Heritage fishing kayak. May be getting a Honda CRV soon and looking for options to get another kayak.
Any shorter/lighter ones out there that would still be functional? This one is rather bulky for carrying from vehicle to shore unless I got a cart for it.
JW FunGuy

Re: Looking at kayak options

Post by JW FunGuy »

I will be interested in what replies you get, this seems to be my standard joke. “ I want a kayak that is light enough to car top (on my pickup topper) paddles fast, can hold up to oyster shell and is stable enough to stand up in and cast a fly rod. “
I said that to a rep at an ACK demo and he laughed and said if I can come up with it I will be a rich man. :lol:

The only answer I have found is if I’m by myself I use a cart if it is a long way to the water, or fish with a buddy and double carry each other boat.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

aroundthebend wrote:Have a Heritage fishing kayak. May be getting a Honda CRV soon and looking for options to get another kayak.
Any shorter/lighter ones out there that would still be functional? This one is rather bulky for carrying from vehicle to shore unless I got a cart for it.
Which Heritage do you have?
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

I recommend the sea eagle brand kayaks. Inflatable, some people will laugh, but they are built solid. The 385fta is what I have. I bought the trolling motor kit too and it came in handy when I took my wife up to Caddo lake with me.
It only weights 45 lbs empty and fits in a car trunk deflated.
I've run it over oysters a few times and it's been fine. No holes poked in it yet, and I have patched any deeper gouges (still held air but I figured better safe than sorry) . I've got the patch kit on board for whenever it does inevitably happen. It's got 4 Chambers so In theory you are quadruple redundant to limp home if need be.
MYTACO

Post by MYTACO »

Chubs wrote:I recommend the sea eagle brand kayaks. Inflatable, some people will laugh, but they are built solid. The 385fta is what I have. I bought the trolling motor kit too and it came in handy when I took my wife up to Caddo lake with me.
I've run it over oysters a few times and it's been fine. No holes poked in it yet, and I have patched any deeper gouges (still held air but I figured better safe than sorry) . I've got the patch kit on board for whenever it does inevitably happen. It's got 4 Chambers so In theory you are quadruple redundant to limp home if need be.
I would agree. I have two SeaEagles. Great warranty, too ...they literally sent me a brand new yak when a seam split. Very solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Well I will say an inflatable is a good option. I have a NRS Pike, they are made for fishing and have a “dropped stitch” floor like what they use in inflatable standup paddle boards so you can stand up and fish. I use it primarily in rivers and have taken it up to high mountain lakes in N.M. I will say that I have been too chicken to use it in the salt, but then I don’t have to.
Also I had some delam. Problems and NRS said that was not up to their quality standards and sent me their brand new model! :)
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Academy still has the Heritage Redfish 10 listed.
When rigged with a skeg, it works pretty well even in coast wind.
aroundthebend

Post by aroundthebend »

Ron Mc wrote:Academy still has the Heritage Redfish 10 listed.
When rigged with a skeg, it works pretty well even in coast wind.
That looks interesting, and fits more my budget :)
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

somebody posted an inexpensive retractable skeg option recently, but I can't find it by searching.
If you go that route, maybe ask on Rigging forum and see if they volunteer the link again.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Ron Mc wrote:somebody posted an inexpensive retractable skeg option recently, but I can't find it by searching.
If you go that route, maybe ask on Rigging forum and see if they volunteer the link again.
That was possible me on the same kayak

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 3&t=245665
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I would also look at the Crescent UltraLite. It gets great reviews, decent features, and a frame seat. Another is the Vibe Yellowfin 100.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

The Viking Profish 400 is relatively light weight at 63 lbs (manufacture rated). I don't stand up in mine but it is a kayak that has a unique blend of speed, stability, comfort, tracking and is light weight. Viking in Rockport did have a used one for $600. Not sure if it's still for sale tho.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Chubs wrote:I recommend the sea eagle brand kayaks. Inflatable, some people will laugh, but they are built solid. The 385fta is what I have. I bought the trolling motor kit too and it came in handy when I took my wife up to Caddo lake with me.

They'll hold up to oysters, but be real careful around barnacles at low tide.