Intro

Tenore

Intro

Post by Tenore »

Hello everyone, my name is Donn and I recently joined TKF. I live in West Houston. I am not new to kayaking but my Nucanoe Flint is my first fishing kayak. Currently I am fishing around the Galveston/Freeport area, the Colorado River (Columbus to Austin region). I also frequently go to Austin/hillcountry area to fly fish.

I am interested in finding people that are looking for kayak fishing buddies and will try to post when I am planning a trip.

Regarding fishing, I am new to coastal saltwater fishing. However, I am experienced with fly fishing and tenkara fly fishing having grown up around mountain streams in Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Intro

Post by Ron Mc »

Welcome to TKF.
I've made a few trips along the CO/NM border with trout wizards and with family, as well.
You don't get to fish as many days with the family, but you get to ride the Cumbres-Toltec.

When summer gets here (any day now), the best respite from the humidity is taking a fly rod into a cypress tunnel in a hill country limestone creek.
Our endemic bass think so, too - we call them Texas brook trout.

Tenore

Post by Tenore »

The Cumbres Toltec Railroad offers some great fly fishing possibilities since the train makes a stop at Osier where they break for lunch. Hike from Osier station to the Los Pinos river for fishing. I would take a backpack and spend a couple of days there and then catch the train and head back to Chama. Almost zero fishing pressure in that remote area and its a very short hike to be in total wilderness. Cheers.
bassfisher152

Post by bassfisher152 »

Welcome! I am also relatively new to coastal fishing in Texas. I have been bass fishing most of my life and occasionally fly fishing in California and Oklahoma. I live in North Houston now and also frequent Freeport/Texas City areas. I would be up to share any spots or tips I have with you. Let me know if youd like to plan a trip sometime.
Tenore

Post by Tenore »

Sounds good. I will also try to keep in touch next time I am planning a trip. Thanks!
heybwebo

Post by heybwebo »

I’m just getting into fly fishing and looking to get a kayak. How do you like the Flint in the bays?

Can you stand to sight fish?
Is paddling difficult with the wind?
How far can you paddle in a day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk