Problems with Ocean Kayak rudder systems

2nd_alarm

Problems with Ocean Kayak rudder systems

Post by 2nd_alarm »

Another newbie here, I don't own a kayak yet but will be buying one between now and the end of November. I am 5'8", 210 lbs and plan to fish the costal bays mostly but also the rivers near San Antonio & San Marcos. I'm leaning towards the OK Prowler angler 13 or 15, but the Tarpon 140 and the Heritage Redfish are still in contention.

I have a question about the OK rudder systems and there quality. I read an article on the Kayak Fishing Stuff website and this is what they said about the OK rudders:

[quote]We decided that we didn't like the rudder on the Prowler 15 so we have been installing our own (Feathercraft) and we had heard that the 13' would have a new improved rudder but its basically an old rudder that was used on Necky Kayaks and still leaves a lot to be desired as the components are cheap and will eventually fail, the up-down mechanism on the rudder is also problematic. The new Prowler 13' also has a molded in center 6", we can now install the rudder without cutting the bolw out of the center hatch, we do this by rigging the rudder cables through the flush mount rod holders. If you decide to get a Prowler 13' with their (Ocean Kayak)rudder system (we wont sell them that way) there will be an access hatch cut in the back of the tank well to run the cables, I don't think it will be a issue with leaking but still is something to consider.

[/quote]

Has anyone experienced any problems with the OK rudder system :?: It is adviseable to go with an aftermarket brand (i.e. Featercraft) :?:

Any and all advise on this or any other kayak subject would be greatly appreciated.
Backwater Drifter
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Backwater Drifter »

I just bought a 2006 OK Drifter with out the ruder. The dealer I bought it from said if I wanted a ruder they will install an after market one because OK’s was not all that great. (Not made very well) I did allot of research before I bought my yak and a ruder is not something I was looking for at the moment. However, I did run across allot of forums that said the OK’s Ruder was poorly made. As for the Prowler 13 I took a demo out and did not care much for it. But, my girlfriend on the other hand loved it. So I guess what I am saying is you will have to test them out for yourself and see which you like the best for what you want to do and the environment you are going to do it in. I know probably not much help but at the end that’s what it came down to for me. Good luck!!! :) :
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

In my opinion, the general consensus about OK rudders is correct. Go with another rudder system instead of OK's even if you purchase an OK yak.
2nd_alarm

Post by 2nd_alarm »

Thanks guys. Any recomendations?
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

You need to private message "TD" on this site. He's owned quite a few kayaks and I think he has some of the best knowledge when it comes to rigging and installing rudders. He has pictures of them too with instructions. WS makes good rudder systems also. I think the KFS (Kayak Fishing Stuff) staff likes the Feathercraft rudder system.
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

The feather craft rudder is a good rudder. We install that rudder on everything from the Manta Ray to the Hobie Quest. I personally don't fish with a rudder, haven't found a situation that I needed it. I would try to find someone who has installed one befor to help you since they can be a little difficult. Feel free to call with any questions.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
stag3

rudder installation

Post by stag3 »

there is a good video on the FTU website. It is for a WS rudder, but I guess a lot of it applies to any brand.

Stag3
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Birdsnest »

I'm pretty sure that's been on KFS since before OK redesigned their rudder. Remember that KFS also makes a little coin by selling an aftermarket rudder with any kayak.

The OK rudder system is decent and I don't think the Feathercraft is much of an upgrade at all.

My favorite aftermarket rudder is the Yakima blade. Kinda hard to find, but very well made and light weight.

If you use the "search" feature and look up "yakima rudder" you should find some good info.

At the end of the day you might consider sticking with the manufacturer's rudder, and thats not such a bad thing when you factor in cost.
harv418
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by harv418 »

Ocean redesigned their Rudder in 2005. The problem was it was flimbsy. But the rudder they are now putting on their boats is beefy. I have been using it for two years hard. My only beef with it was that mine originally came with rope for the steering cables and had to be replaced with some 600lb cable.

Take a look at the new Rudder...it'll hold up.