Tailgate Net with Kayak Extension?

It's a keeper

Tailgate Net with Kayak Extension?

Post by It's a keeper »

Does anyone use a tailgate net to keep their truck bed contents secured while transporting their kayak with a bed extender like one from Harbor Freight? I am wondering if anyone has had good results by cutting our part of the tailgate net to make their kayak fit through? Please post up with pictures if you have a good system. I have been putting my kayak up on top of my tailgate. It works, but a lot of the kayak sticks out and I don't like this technique if the kayak will be sitting on the tailgate for a long time in the hot sun.

It's a keeper
Attachments
Tailgate net
Tailgate net
pronet_tailgate_net.jpg (18.42 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
dockaycee
Location: Jourdanton, Heritage Redfish, Malibu Pro-Ex, and 3 X-Factors

Re: Tailgate Net with Kayak Extension?

Post by dockaycee »

What I've done in the past is made my own bed extender where the cross bar is at the same height as the tailgate then had a cross bar that sits on the bed rails. This way I can still fill the bed with all the camping and fishing gear that is needed. I could even open the tailgate to access the cooler without having to remove the kayaks.
Those were the days. I have since moved on to a modified jet ski trailer that securely holds all my kayak and fishing gear and is loaded and ready to go right now.
4x4kayak2112
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by 4x4kayak2112 »

cut it out to where its just a little smaller than our kayak, and where the red is sew in some bungee......just like.... :roll:

you get the idea
Attachments
pronet_tailgate_net.jpg
pronet_tailgate_net.jpg (12.94 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
length
Location: Opinions are like rear ends every one has one and they all stink from time to time!

Post by length »

It's a keeper wrote:Does anyone use a tailgate net to keep their truck bed contents secured while transporting their kayak with a bed extender like one from Harbor Freight? I am wondering if anyone has had good results by cutting our part of the tailgate net to make their kayak fit through? Please post up with pictures if you have a good system. I have been putting my kayak up on top of my tailgate. It works, but a lot of the kayak sticks out and I don't like this technique if the kayak will be sitting on the tailgate for a long time in the hot sun.

It's a keeper
If that is an older body style ford I have a V door air gate that I built a long time ago. I built it specifically for gooseneck trailers. You can have it if you come get it 242 & 1314 (s Conroe). I will even clean it up and help install.
Attachments
PA020155.JPG
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I sure do you like my bed extender, with the regular tailgate laying open.
Since this photo, I've picked up 4 foam cradle blocks, use one on the bar, one in the middle of the tailgate and the other two inside the bed under the kayak. It's a fast and easy way to load and unload boats and supports them beautifully on a long drive, even in the hot sun.
If you have the 2" receiver hitch, there is a seller on ebay selling a bed extender shipped for under $50.
eweberdc
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by eweberdc »

Be careful with those t-bar bed extenders. I got pulled over with my kayaks on one the other day for having more than 4 feet of kayak past the bumper. To keep them legal I believe you have to install tail lights on the t-bar, and maybe reflectors.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

got'em
You only need them at night, and I bought trailer lights at Harbor Freight for $12.
In the daytime, all you need is a red rag at the end of the kayak
It's a keeper

Post by It's a keeper »

Thanks "length" for the offer. I have a short bed 2007 Ford F150 4X4.

So "Ron Mc", do you secure your bed contents down so it doesn't fly out the back end?

I am thinking about getting a tail gate net and cutting out a hole so the kayak will fit through. I will want the net somewhat snug, but not too much so it is easy to put on and take off.

"4x4kayak2112", I like your idea of using some bungie cord to stabilize the hole area in the net.

I guess I might be the first to do this project.

It's a keeper
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

hi bro, everything is bungied in the front of the bed, and I stuff the hatches in the boats.
I use 4 tie-downs - more than I need. One through scupper holes and through the ends of the bar winched to the back tie downs in the truck bed - a long one on each side from the tip of the boat winched to the forward tie downs in the bed (or one each if I'm hauling 2 boats), and a short one over the bar and the boats - boats are going nowhere.