Anchors

tito82x

Anchors

Post by tito82x »

I'm sure it's been asked. I'm needing a new anchor for a second kayak. I currently use 3# grapple anchor on my kayak but wanted to see what everyone else uses

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Anchors

Post by kickingback »

Depends on the conditions.
I have a 3 lb, a 5 lb, and a 10 lb flat dumbbell that I use for "still" fishing where the current will not move me as far and it is less likely to hang up. Mostly small lakes or ponds or marsh.
I use a 3 lb Bruce anchor for sandy areas to hold by digging in to the sand by the current. more for stronger currents with no debris. mostly offshore near beach or in sandy deeper marsh.
I use a 3 lb folding claw for my kayak most of the time with it tied to release easily if stuck by way of small zip ties.
I have a 10 lb folding claw and 100 ft of line for offshore.
Many anchors for many needs. Some may say I over kill but I am ready to fish any area. :wink:
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Most of the time I sue a stake out stik. The other times its a 2.2 pound claw anchor. Be careful when anchoring in current. After anchor caught, small current liked to pull my kayak under.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I carry two different stakeout poles (8 ft and 3.5 ft) when fishing the flats and haven't carried an anchor in years. A 5 lbs weight or Bruce style anchor if I were to need a true anchor. Never really liked the folding style style anchor, never really seemed to catch.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Neumie wrote:I carry two different stakeout poles (8 ft and 3.5 ft) when fishing the flats and haven't carried an anchor in years. A 5 lbs weight or Bruce style anchor if I were to need a true anchor. Never really liked the folding style style anchor, never really seemed to catch.
You have to add some heavier chain which makes the top of the anchor rest on bottom and the claws can then dig in to the bottom easier. The chain is the key to making the anchor work effectively.
tito82x

Post by tito82x »

I've always considered a stake out stick but always been hesitant. How well do they hold? I usually fish open bays mud/sand and wind can usually kick up quick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
TG05

Post by TG05 »

I started with a small folding grapnel anchor but quickly moved to a Bruce or claw style anchor with a bit of chain. It holds much better. I have a small plastic cable tie on it to break off in case it ever gets stuck.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

They work great for quick anchors. I have a home made stake out pole and I use it through my scupper holes. I bought a valve to use to hold it up or down when deployed or stowed. A simple turn of the handle and it drops straight to the bottom. It is a 8' fiberglass tree stake I bought from Amazon and added a "t" handle from pvc and attached a rope to use it as a stand alone if the winds are too hard and putting stress on the scupper hole to prevent damage. It will not hurt it in calmer waters.
There is a YouTube video that explains how to make it....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e68T5KkMn7g

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

kickingback wrote:You have to add some heavier chain which makes the top of the anchor rest on bottom and the claws can then dig in to the bottom easier. The chain is the key to making the anchor work effectively.
Yeah, I never added the chain. I guess that's part of what turned me off to anchors, all the weight. I'm also not much of an anchor up and fish from the kind kayak kind of angler.
tito82x wrote:I've always considered a stake out stick but always been hesitant. How well do they hold? I usually fish open bays mud/sand and wind can usually kick up quick
The few times I've anchored upped and fished It's held well. I have about 6 feet of rope/bungee attached to the top and use my anchor trolley to get it all the way back. Deepest water I use it in is Estes Flats which is 4-5 feet where the bottom is grass and slightly soft. I always shove it in the bottom as far as I can.
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

I use a 5 lb folding grapnel-type anchor. The 3 lber just looked ...tiny. I leave the points closed up in low wind, no current situations, or if I want to drift slower than the wind. I never needed anything else.

Kirk B.
andreww

Post by andreww »

With me is Marine kayak anchor. This 3.5 lb. anchor holds my 10' kayak, plus another kayak teathered to my kayak, rather well. no drift, no current movement, just a very reliable anchor. the other features i like about the design of the anchor is the locking mechanism for the prongs. the device locks the prongs in place while in the bag and locks the prongs in a spread-out position when in the water. very simple but very effective. A real convenience to have. i recommend this anchor to anybody who has a small craft (where a 3.5 lb. anchor is sufficient).