Made a Light Rig when Hauling My Kayak in the Bed of a Truck

Neumie
Site Admin

Made a Light Rig when Hauling My Kayak in the Bed of a Truck

Post by Neumie »

My longest kayak is 15' and with a short bed on my truck it will stick out 9.5' past my tail lights; 5 of those feet past my bed extender. So even with lights on the extender I always kept one eye on the rear view mirror because there is still quite a bit of kayak overhang. I decided to build build a setup which placed some lights at the end of the kayak and complied as best as I could interpret the Transportation Code Sec. 547.382.

I used 3/4" PVC, some electrical conduit fittings, LED lights, a 12" x 12" red flag, flat black paint, reflector decals, and a TKF sticker to build the light rig. All of my kayaks have rudders so I utilized the rudder mount to affix the rear portion of the rig after removing the rudder and cables. Since my longest kayak overhangs the bed extender by 5 feet I made the PVC frame just over 5 feet in length so that the strap securing my kayak to bed extender also holds down the light rig. The width in between the PVC is wider than the tankwell so if I choose leave a milk crate or cooler while traveling I can still fit my light rig. The rear LED's are one of the smallest, red, 3-wire lights on the market which allow for brake and turn signals. I then used small, round, red and amber marker lights on the side. The PVC and conduit fittings let me cleanly wire everything within the PVC, except for the 8 foot jacket cable running to my truck's trailer lights plug. I thought it worked great on its maiden trip to Rockport this past weekend.
Attachments
DSC01334.JPG
DSC01332.JPG
DSC01331.JPG
DSC01330.JPG
Last edited by Neumie on Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kirk B.

Re: Light Rig when Hauling Kayak in the Bed of a Truck

Post by Kirk B. »

A most elegant solution. Thanks for sharing.

Kirk B.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Made a Light Rig when Hauling My Kayak in the Bed of a Truck

Post by kickingback »

Very easy solution to a common issue. Well done on making a great addition to hauling your rig safely. You may want to think about making these to sell sometime in the future. I bet you would sell quite a few! :clap:
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Neat!
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

A couple more pics of how it mounts , internal wiring, and approximate cost break down. I didn't realize it cost so much, but I had to buy everything as I didn't even have electrical connectors lying around. Still, I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out. It's lightweight, low profile, easy to put on/pull off, and just an overall clean look (IMO). You could probably built it a little cheaper if you have stuff lying around, but I'm not sure how much more as the LED's and wire were the bulk of the cost.
Attachments
Cost.JPG
DSC01340.JPG
DSC01338.JPG
DSC01336.JPG
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

following Josh for a couple of days, I was impressed with his lights - especially when he first pulled up at Agave Jalisco Saturday morning.
Dred

Post by Dred »

I like. I used a slightly different solution for my similar issue. My yak hangs well beyond my truck bed and/or my trailer.

I fixed 2 12" red LED strips to each side of the back of my yak to give me a running and a brake/turn light on each side. I run then from my trucks 4 pin and I added a 4 pin to my trailer as well.

I'll edit in a pic on Monday.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Dred wrote:I like. I used a slightly different solution for my similar issue. My yak hangs well beyond my truck bed and/or my trailer.

I fixed 2 12" red LED strips to each side of the back of my yak to give me a running and a brake/turn light on each side. I run then from my trucks 4 pin and I added a 4 pin to my trailer as well.

I'll edit in a pic on Monday.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk
Attaching LED's to the kayak is a great option. My issue is I own multiple kayaks of varying length, so I needed a solution which allowed plug-n-play. Post up your pics, I'm sure it'll help others out.
Dred

Post by Dred »

Pics of LEDs rigged. These were shot on the trailer but stop/turn/run lights are powered by standard 4 pin flat.

Full brightness indicating turn or stop plus lights on: ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Dred wrote:Pics of LEDs rigged. These were shot on the trailer but stop/turn/run lights are powered by standard 4 pin flat.

Full brightness indicating turn or stop plus lights on: ImageImageImage

Looks like they're bright for sure. So do you have brake lights and turn signals or is it one or the other?
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Dred wrote:Pics of LEDs rigged. These were shot on the trailer but stop/turn/run lights are powered by standard 4 pin flat.
That's a pretty slick setup. I probably could have done something similar with all 4 of my kayaks it would have been cheaper than my solution.

How well do the LED's stick to the kayak? What lead did you use between the truck and tail lights?
Dred

Post by Dred »

One pair (each side) running; one pair stop/turn. Stop/turn share bulbs like a trailer.

It's wired to a trailer side 4 pin flat connector which gets coiled and stowed when not connected.

No problems getting them to stick. Prep'd with rubbing alcohol. Only been on the water once but no problems so far.

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Well done! How are you liking that Pilot? Sorry Neumie not trying to hijack your post.
Dred

Re: RE: Re: Made a Light Rig when Hauling My Kayak in the Bed of a Truck

Post by Dred »

SWFinatic wrote:Well done! How are you liking that Pilot? Sorry Neumie not trying to hijack your post.
Loving the Pilot. It is my first yak so I don't have many points of comparison. I'm going to buy a second yak this year but undecided on using this as a buddy (gf actually) yak and upgrading or just grabbing an inexpensive yak and letting buddies paddle.

johnboat

Post by johnboat »

Those are great. I used my Harbor Freight Tailgate Extender one time in daylight when I picked up my PA14 from the guy who sold it to me north of Austin, and hauled it one-way to the coast where it lives. If time allowed I would use it again to evacuate for a hurricane. I was a little nervous at first but nobody seemed to run up too close from behind.

I may be too lazy to build a light system so I am going to buy some high quality reflective tape and apply it generously to the tailgate extender and figure out how much I can add to the stern of the kayak. Also might improve the red flag.
IMG_20160409_133826899 (1).jpg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

magnet tow lights work great on a bed extender - add a bicycle tail-light to the far back of your boat.
The tow lights that use trailer bulbs instead of LEDs are like $12.
I've replaced a pair of bulbs in 10 years.
I shortened the leads on the tow lights, and used 18" zip ties to make them permanent on my bed extender.
They make your bed extender look like a small trailer to closing traffic.
they have amber lenses facing forward that light up everything under your boats, similar to trailer running lights.
johnboat

Post by johnboat »

Nice! The idea about using a bicycle tail light is genius. I have a couple of those already that can flash red or stay on. In fact I have a spare in my truck already. It can strap onto the stern handle just like the bike seat tube. (The new generation of lights have internal batteries that charge anywhere with mini/std usb cord.) I will hold off on the extender lighting because with my single kayak in the center, the truck lights are not obstructed. And I don't regularly haul mine in darkness. Thanks.

I've already added red/white reflective tape to the entirety of the rear-facing T of the extender. It will shine for sure.
I'm also getting a proper red flag....Academy has them.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Thanks - I have cygo lights on my bikes, and while they certainly work for this, if you lose one, it's not cheap to replace.
When I was placing an order for spendy latex cyclocross tubes from blue sky cycling, I picked up a cheap battery tail-light on closeout for $3, and it has a nice rubber ring strap made for a seapost clamp that fits perfectly around a kayak lift handle. It also has a ramping glow mode that seems to work nicely for warning.
johnboat wrote:... I will hold off on the extender lighting because with my single kayak in the center, the truck lights are not obstructed. And I don't regularly haul mine in darkness. Thanks.....
If your boat is more than 4' behind your tail lights, you legally need lights on your bed extender to drive at night.
Only need the flag to drive in daytime, but it also seems to me the extended turn signals and brake lamps gain some respect on the road in daylight - they look official.

'57 Raleigh Lenton with a modified lamp holder for the fork lamp boss - I used a speargun tip thread converter to match the fork boss thread
Imageand don't let it fool you, I place well in Sunday morning downtown sprints against carbon bikes - a guy asked me one morning if I had a motor in it.
Handles like a dream, rides like a cloud, and actually has the most aggressive riding position of any of my 4 bikes.
A Team Trek, rider a USAF officer 30 years my junior, came in right behind me yesterday morning, though I was riding my '98 Moser Forma.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc wrote:If your boat is more than 4' behind your tail lights, you legally need lights on your bed extender to drive at night.
Only need the flag to drive in daytime, but it also seems to me the extended turn signals and brake lamps gain some respect on the road in daylight - they look official.
If your load (kayak) extends more than 4 feet past the body of your vehicle (not including the tailgate in the down position) you have to mark the extremities (width and overhang) of the load. This means a red flag between sunrise and sunset, and red lights marking the width and overhang of the load. Just adding lights to the bed extender does not accomplish this nor does it meet the statute, unless your kayak ends right on the bed extender.
Transportation Code Sec. 547.382 wrote:LIGHTING EQUIPMENT ON PROJECTING LOADS.
(a) A vehicle transporting a load that extends to the rear at least four feet beyond the bed or body of the vehicle shall display on the extreme end of the load at the times specified in Section 547.302(a):
(1) two red lamps visible at a distance of at least 500 feet from the rear;
(2) two red reflectors that indicate the maximum width and are visible at nighttime at all distances from 100 to 600 feet from the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps; and
(3) two red lamps, one on each side, that indicate the maximum overhang and are visible at a distance of at least 500 feet from the side.

(b) At all other times, a vehicle transporting a load that extends beyond the vehicle's sides or more than four feet beyond the vehicle's rear shall display red flags that:
(1) are at least 12 inches square;
(2) mark the extremities of the load; and
(3) are placed where a lamp is required by this section.
Transportation Code Sec. 547.302 wrote: DUTY TO DISPLAY LIGHTS.
(a) A vehicle shall display each lighted lamp and illuminating device required by this chapter to be on the vehicle:
(1) at nighttime; and
(2) when light is insufficient or atmospheric conditions are unfavorable so that a person or vehicle on the highway is not clearly discernible at a distance of 1,000 feet ahead.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

hence bicycle tail- lights marking the overhang extremities
Josh, you did a great job of designing a device the meets the letter of the law.
I didn't post to take your good work to task, but to point out there are benefits to the magnet lights even in daytime.
I've also been rolling mine 10 years without incident.
Posting the reg fits the thread and belongs here.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc wrote:hence bicycle tail- lights marking the overhang extremities
I guess I'm hung up on the comment saying the bed extender is required to have lights, which isn't true.

Even then you need two rear facing red lights, two rear facing red reflectors, and two red lights (one facing the passenger side and the other facing the driver side). The rear and side red lights could be one red light unit which has rear and marker lights incorporated in one unit. My setup required separate lights to accomplish this.

Since most kayakers don't bother putting a red light at the end of their kayak when required having just one is leaps and bounds better than none. Doubtful you or anyone would be pulled over for making an attempt to illuminate the overhanging extremities.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc wrote:hence bicycle tail- lights marking the overhang extremities
Josh, you did a great job of designing a device the meets the letter of the law.
I didn't post to take your good work to task, but to point out there are benefits to the magnet lights even in daytime.
I've also been rolling mine 10 years without incident.
Posting the reg fits the thread and belongs here.
Crud, you must have added to your original comment when I was typing my response.

I agree the more lights you have mounted to warn of an overhanging kayak the better. Even more so if the incorporated lights have stop and turn. The more lights the better.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

how about that, and at the same time I was trying to post what I remembered Lefty Ray presented from his ancestor's journals that went back to France with LaSalle.

BTW, if you've ever noticed on a Malone trailer, you still need the flag/bicycle light because of the overhang
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnboat

Post by johnboat »

I'm thinking this will be pretty effective
20190729_094859.jpg
WC53

Post by WC53 »

I welded goal post style uprights on my HF extender. Purchased led strip trailer lights (14”) from e trailer and ran the wires inside the tubes, exiting about halfway back. Plug it into my trailer connector .

Makes an enormous difference as they are brighter than my truck and 4’ further back.