Stadium seat in Heritage Redfish

imaoldmanyoungsalt

Stadium seat in Heritage Redfish

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

I added this seat to me 14 ft redfish and also to a 12 ft perception pescador sport. Basically the same installation for both.
I used an old stadium seat that the previous owners of our house left behind (that's why they say Alvord Bulldogs on them). I added a piece of aluminum stock that I had laying around my garage to attach the rear feet but any bar stock should work.

I made the feet using stainless bolts and rubber boat trailer rollers that I cut into halves. I had these already on hand so that's why the rear feet and the front feet are different. I like the front ones best
ImageImage

and they're actually the end caps from this type roller

https://images.app.goo.gl/prVx9Sj9BjF5uGXD7

I think someone can figure out my process from these pics.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I have seen some different ways that others have used to add seats like these but most used a rail of some sort bolted across the width of the kayak on top of the side beam. I didn't want to drill into mine (plus theres really not a flat area there to bolt to) and I wanted the seat to sit as low as possible to keep the center of gravity lower. I used the cut rollers because they are a wide base which distributes the weight better, and rubber so it's easier on the plastic boat. If anyone has any questions, just ask.

Oh, I also added these rubber grommets to the sides to keep the seat centered and keep the metal sides from damaging the boat
ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Last edited by imaoldmanyoungsalt on Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Stadium seat in Heritage Redfish

Post by Ron Mc »

that works - good photos
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Nicely done.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Update/warning!
After a couple years of use, one of the back rubber feet split the seat pan and made a crack about 8 inches long. It appears the repeated flexing back and forth of the plastic from the foot caused it to crack. I have welded the crack and made a new seat platform. I'll update with pics when I get a chance but wanted to advise others that this previous setup is no bueno!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Ok so here's my new fix. Sorry I didn't do an "in process" tutorial with pics but here's the finished product. It was pretty simple. Bending the aluminum bar was the most difficult part. I heated it with a propane torch and used a vise and hammer then an angle grinder with flap disc sanding wheel to take out the dings. Once I had the bends like I wanted them I placed them on the kayak then set the seat on them and marked where I want the holes, drilled them and added the bolts. Next I used some old bicycle innertube and heat shrink to pad the ends that contact the kayak. I cut sections of inner tube to stretch over the ends. I put 2 layers of inner tube on each end then placed some shrink tube over that to hold in place. I think this will be a much better platform now since the ridges have much more strength. I used 2 in x 1/4 in aluminum bar. It was about 20 bucks at Short Iron Store Steel and Supply in Haslet, Tx. and I had a few feet left over that I used to make rod holder on my new Hoodoo kayak (another thread on that later). Heres some pics.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
The crack after it was repaired. I melted ss screen into this weld for added strengthImage

Here's the shrink tube I used
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FVSVBD4/re ... UTF8&psc=1
It was a little tight and had to work/stretch to get it over the innertube but it worked. If I had to do it over again I would get a little larger size.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

That even gives you storage space beneath the seat.
Good stable boat for the high seat mod.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:I added this seat to me 14 ft redfish and also to a 12 ft perception pescador sport. Basically the same installation for both.
I used an old stadium seat that the previous owners of our house left behind (that's why they say Alvord Bulldogs on them). I added a piece of aluminum stock that I had laying around my garage to attach the rear feet but any bar stock should work.

I made the feet using stainless bolts and rubber boat trailer rollers that I cut into halves. I had these already on hand so that's why the rear feet and the front feet are different. I like the front ones best

and they're actually the end caps from this type roller

I think someone can figure out my process from these pics.

I have seen some different ways that others have used to add seats like these but most used a rail of some sort bolted across the width of the kayak on top of the side beam. I didn't want to drill into mine (plus theres really not a flat area there to bolt to) and I wanted the seat to sit as low as possible to keep the center of gravity lower. I used the cut rollers because they are a wide base which distributes the weight better, and rubber so it's easier on the plastic boat. If anyone has any questions, just ask.

Oh, I also added these rubber grommets to the sides to keep the seat centered and keep the metal sides from damaging the boat

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Will this work on an old Prowler 13 Ocean? My seat is super uncomfortable and could us an update, though the yak is still in good shape. Think I see the process, how much did this cost you? I am on a tight budget right now but really need a better seat.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

I already had everything but the aluminum bar so not sure on my total cost. The aluminum bar was about $15-$20. You can get the stadium seat at academy for around $25 I believe. You can buy a few feet of shrink tube for $6 or $7 on Amazon. A few SS screws, nuts, n washers and your all set. Around $50-$60 would probably get you there.

imaoldmanyoungsalt

I didn't have a pic showing how I secure the seat to the kayak but it's just a simple piece of bungee stretched around the seat frame and attached to pad eyes with carabiners. You can see the pad eyes in the pic of the seat pan. The seat pretty much stays put as is so the bungee just secures it in the even of a capsize.