Hauling Kayak

Kalait

Hauling Kayak

Post by Kalait »

I have an Ocean Prowler 13 which is roughly 10-years-old. I have been hauling it too and from lakes, rivers, and on vacation keel up on my Xterra. Should I be transporting it in another manner? Just asking as my last depth finder would only last about 2 years before I had to remount the shoot through the hull transducer, currently, I am using an over the side mount.
TexasJim

Re: Hauling Kayak

Post by TexasJim »

kalait: When I used to cartop(on my pickup topper, really) my Pescador 12, in order not to "point load" it, I used a couple of giant foam pool noodles, with a piece of pvc pipe run thru them. I used bungees with hooks from one end of the pvc to the other, across the bottom of the kayak, with the noodle across the top. I put the yak on the topper, keel up, and strapped it down. The noodles kept the kayak from getting a severe load on the gunwales.
Another important thing: At the front, if you run a strap from one side of the vehicle, over the hull to the far scupper and down, then up thru the near scupper and up and across to the other side of the vehicle, the strap will "cinch" the kayak and keep it from yawing side to side in crosswinds, without having to really honk down on the kayak and cause hull deformation. Worked great for me for years. YMMV.
As I'm now advanced in age, I carry the yak in my truck bed now, with a T-bar-style bed extender. Even a 60-pound kayak is heavy after a 5-mile paddle! Have fun! TexasJim
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Texas Jim, Thanks for the comment, I was wondering after years of transporting the yak if there were a better way to do it. Thus far I have no gunnel warp as I do not use ratchet straps, as ACK has suggested, many years ago.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Kalait wrote:I have an Ocean Prowler 13 which is roughly 10-years-old. I have been hauling it too and from lakes, rivers, and on vacation keel up on my Xterra. Should I be transporting it in another manner? Just asking as my last depth finder would only last about 2 years before I had to remount the shoot through the hull transducer, currently, I am using an over the side mount.
How did you have it mounted? Epoxy, ClearSeal, silicone, something else? There's a concurrent thread about mounting transducers...

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 3&t=251172

I see the OP posted up the question on that thread as well. But for other folks that find their way to this thread...