Igloo cooler bait tank for my Hobie PA

goofiefoot

Igloo cooler bait tank for my Hobie PA

Post by goofiefoot »

I wanted a live bait tank that fit under the seat of my Hobie, so I built one! I can’t wait to put some mud minnows or shrimp in this thing and run it through it’s paces!

https://youtu.be/gXW7usUCO4M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Igloo cooler bait tank for my Hobie PA

Post by Neumie »

Nicely down, and well documented. I would a mesh/net liner to the inside. That'll give the shrimp something to hang on to so they're not just constantly swimming around.
goofiefoot

Post by goofiefoot »

Neumie wrote:Nicely down, and well documented. I would a mesh/net liner to the inside. That'll give the shrimp something to hang on to so they're not just constantly swimming around.
Good call. On my last version, I'd drop a frozen water bottle in there, wrapped in some mesh, for just this purpose, and to keep things reasonably cool.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

That's an effective way to replicate an Engel bait cooler. I have one of those that costs $88.00 from ACK.

I bought some shrimp one day, and it was hot out, so I stuck a frozen water bottle in the box. When I got to the fishing spot, I opened the bait box, and all the shrimp were laying on the bottom, toes up! I pulled the frozen bottle out, changed out the cold water with sea water, and in about five minutes, all the shrimp were swimming around happily in the warm water! I guess they went into suspended animation to deal with the cold. Funny learning experience.

I usually use a Frabill bucket, with the styro liner, and bubbler. The styro liner has a plastic mesh, for the shrimp to cling to. If I buy mullet and don't remember to take the mesh out, when I start to bait out, the mullet have bloody noses, from the mesh! Another learning experience.

My Engel has a nylon mesh "basket", which is easier on the bait. Like Neumie's recommendation.

Tight lines, TexasJim
goofiefoot

Post by goofiefoot »

TexasJim wrote:That's an effective way to replicate an Engel bait cooler. I have one of those that costs $88.00 from ACK.

I bought some shrimp one day, and it was hot out, so I stuck a frozen water bottle in the box. When I got to the fishing spot, I opened the bait box, and all the shrimp were laying on the bottom, toes up! I pulled the frozen bottle out, changed out the cold water with sea water, and in about five minutes, all the shrimp were swimming around happily in the warm water! I guess they went into suspended animation to deal with the cold. Funny learning experience.

I usually use a Frabill bucket, with the styro liner, and bubbler. The styro liner has a plastic mesh, for the shrimp to cling to. If I buy mullet and don't remember to take the mesh out, when I start to bait out, the mullet have bloody noses, from the mesh! Another learning experience.

My Engel has a nylon mesh "basket", which is easier on the bait. Like Neumie's recommendation.

Tight lines, TexasJim
Thanks, Jim! I, too, have had the "suspended animation" effect with shrimp and cold water. I almost think they become a bit livelier once they're back in warmer water that way - maybe it's just the hook through their head! :D