Rudder cables - do not order from www.tgwatersports.com

bigred90gt

Rudder cables - do not order from www.tgwatersports.com

Post by bigred90gt »

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up about my lovely experience with www.tgwatersports.com. I took the yak out about a month ago and as soon as I left the launch site and dropped my rudder, the right side rudder cable snapped. When I got home, I went online and found them in stock on his site and bought a pair (along with replacement handles for my wilderness ride 135 since the originals had dry rotted and tore off).

Everything went smooth until my package showed up. It was supposed to be 2 cables with eye on one end, 2 crimps, and 2 heat shrinks. That was the description on the site as well as the description on the package. Unfortunately, someone either robbed one at his warehouse to use for something, or the manufacturer failed to put both in the bag. Either way, I know things happen, and I was ok waiting for a replacement since I don’t take the kayak out very often, so I emailed him with a picture of the package and a copy of the invoice that had the description. I got no response to the email, so the next day I called him. He tells me “I saw the email and I am shipping another cable out today”. That was on 6/6.

I waited a week and nothing ever showed up, so I emailed him again. A day went by with no response, so again, I emailed, and again no response. I went back to his website to get his phone number and call again, and the phone number was removed from the website and replaced with an email address that was different from the original email address I had for them. So, I sent another email to the new address and copied the old address. Still no response. I believe I sent 5-6 emails over a week and a half and got no response. Since the phone number is gone and it is out of my call log on my phone, my only option is to chalk it up to a lesson learned, or wait for my next phone billing cycle and pull the bill to look for the number and call again.

The last email I sent him was pretty much me telling them that if I did not have a response within 24 hours that I was going to contact my credit card and dispute the charge. I don’t think I can get away with a full refund from them, nor do I want a full refund since I got most of my order. I honestly just want my missing cable because that is what I paid for.

So, if you need any parts for your kayak and a google search turned up their website, beware. Customer service is pretty much non-existent with them. Once my billing cycle rolls over and I can get the phone number off the bill, I plan to call them again and see what they have to say. Seems a bit ridiculous to have to go to that trouble just because they won’t respond to anything. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

In the meantime, I’ll just order another set from someone else.
bigred90gt

Re: Rudder cables - do not order from www.tgwatersports.com

Post by bigred90gt »

Well, You know the saying, speak of the devil and he arrives. I made that post last night, and a new cable showed up today. Postage shows it was shipped 6/24, which is when I had to resort to threatening to dispute it on my credit card. Still not a single response to any of the multiple emails I sent.

Oh well, all I wanted was what I paid for, and I eventually got it.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Rudder cables

Post by Ron Mc »

I discovered with salt exposure, FEP-coated stainless cable lasts 5-7-times longer than bare stainless cable.
You can order coated cable from McMaster-Carr.

Since April, any outdoor-related business has been swamped. My friend who owns a bike shop isn't selling many bikes because he can't get them, but his service work is running 16 hours/day.
He's the #1 cyclist in TX, before April was riding 700 mi/wk, all in the morning before going into the shop. Now he has to go in and catch up service work before the shop opens.
bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

Ron Mc wrote:I discovered with salt exposure, FEP-coated stainless cable lasts 5-7-times longer than bare stainless cable.
You can order coated cable from McMaster-Carr.

Since April, any outdoor-related business has been swamped. My friend who owns a bike shop isn't selling many bikes because he can't get them, but his service work is running 16 hours/day.
He's the #1 cyclist in TX, before April was riding 700 mi/wk, all in the morning before going into the shop. Now he has to go in and catch up service work before the shop opens.
I get being swamped. It happens. But I called the guy on 6/6 and he said he saw the email and would send it out that day. I gave it a week and it never came, so I started emailing him and never got a single response to any of his emails. When I finally threatened to dispute the charge on 6/24, that is the day he shipped it, but still never responded to the emails. I really think that the notion of him being swamped is just an unacceptable excuse for that length of time and lack of communication over an order that was missing parts.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I'm not making excuses for anybody, but it does seem that he came through and finally delivered.

I think it's also important to make clear this thread and your complaint is about an Arizona business with a mail-order website, and not in any way related to TG Canoes & Kayaks in San Marcos.

bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

Ron Mc wrote:I'm not making excuses for anybody, but it does seem that he came through and finally delivered.

I think it's also important to make clear this thread and your complaint is about an Arizona business with a mail-order website, and not in any way related to TG Canoes & Kayaks in San Marcos.

It absolutely isn’t about TG Canoes & Kayaks. I’ve never even heard of them.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Duane doesn't run a mail order business, but a livery on the San Marcos River, and over the years has maintained the widest range in kayak inventory of any in Texas. And always with instant demos in his back yard - the San Marcos River.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

TackleDirect is so swamped, they've shut down their phone Customer Service - they ran CS remotely for two months before finally throwing up their hands - CS is their Really Good Thing.
I have a small order out for hooks, and haven't heard a word in 8 days other than payment accepted.
I also expect them to come through - they've never let me down, even hunting down a Crowder rod for me after the Crowder shop in FL closed down for the virus.

Since rudder cables Always break One, cannibalizing kits in inventory may be a norm.
My buddy, building a wooden kayak, received his gudgeon plate and rudder kit from Duckworks, and it was short a rudder cable. They're mailing him a replacement.