8" hatch with hobie insert

dmanars

8" hatch with hobie insert

Post by dmanars »

Does anyone know if almost any round 8" hatch will work with the hobie inserts? I want to install a generic 8 inch hatch on another yak and be able to have the inserts interchangeable.
SWFinatic

Re: 8" hatch with hobie insert

Post by SWFinatic »

dmanars wrote:Does anyone know if almost any round 8" hatch will work with the hobie inserts? I want to install a generic 8 inch hatch on another yak and be able to have the inserts interchangeable.
The screw hole pattern is what will be different. On many generic round hatches you'll find they have 6 screw holes for attaching the hatch. Hobie has 8. Some I've seen have more than 8.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

my buddy Steve added the Hobie hatch to the sternwell of his new Outback, and it's very nice.
dmanars

Post by dmanars »

SWFinatic wrote:
dmanars wrote:Does anyone know if almost any round 8" hatch will work with the hobie inserts? I want to install a generic 8 inch hatch on another yak and be able to have the inserts interchangeable.
The screw hole pattern is what will be different. On many generic round hatches you'll find they have 6 screw holes for attaching the hatch. Hobie has 8. Some I've seen have more than 8.
I plan to add a hatch to my solo skiff. But I want the hobie bucket insert to be interchangeable with my outback. If the only thing different is the screw pattern then the bucket insert should work. It's not that I dont want to buy the hobie hatch, but $65 hobie compared to $16 for a generic hatch to do the same thing . I'm leaning to the generic hatch.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Didn't know that's what you were looking to do. The Hobie hatch bucket could be an issue. I'm not sure if other generic hatches have the same recessed lip to hold the bucket as Hobie's does. The Hobie hatch is also twist lock where the generic ones will not be. I hear what you're saying on the cost difference. Worse case you may have to send the generic hatch back if the bucket doesn't fit.