I Freaking Turtled!!!

Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

I Freaking Turtled!!!

Post by Mythman »

Yes, I freaking turtled on my last fishing trip…………..damn, damn and more damn. I don’t believe I turtled last year but yesterday I sold the whole farm.

Equipment wise it just wasn’t my day. From the get go my eVolve motor acted funny and kept giving me “error 30” message which when I got home meant I probably need a new fuse in the battery. So I had to paddle my “aircraft carrier” Pro Anger in from about 1 mile offshore. Not too bad, even when half of the way I forgot to take the motor out…………..whew, sure paddle easier with it out. Thankfully the wind had laid and the water was smooth.

However, the swells were building.

As I neared the beach, I notice that there were sets of swells that looked challenging. However, there were also ample periods of complete calm between the sets. I kept paddling and thought I had it made as I seemed to be in one of those calm periods.

Then all of a sudden a swell picked me up and before I could do anything over I went. Naturally since I haven't turtle in a long time, I had nothing tied down but not to worry, everything I own has a float on it.

I was surprised to find I was in butt deep water and as I came up on my feet, I pushed my glasses back up on my nose and tried to flip my kayak back over………….and was hit by another swell that drove me and the yak back down. This time I think I lost the glasses ………….....well after it was all over I couldn’t find them. Thankfully, they were my fishing/work glasses ………the old pair with scratches on the lens.

I got the yak righted and all my rods and gear were not broken but saltwater and sand in all. I had quite a surf garage sale in progress. As I tried to get the yak to the beach, I found my anchor had fallen out and was holding me from going on. It must have been caught on a bar because it took breaking the zip tie to get it loose. I finally got the yak and myself to the beach. I had my frogg togg jacket on and had so much water in my sleeves, I could barely raise my arms. The elastic cuffs were holding the water in, I am sure my forearms looked like Popeye’s. I had to pull my hand back through the cuffs to get the water to drain.

I was exhausted. The paddler behind me came in ok but told me a big rouge swell had hit me……………..don’t if that is true or he was just trying to make me feel better.................there is always a certain amount of embarrassment and humility that accompanies a monster turtle. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I spend a whole day cleaning and drying my stuff out. I now know a Pro Angler (38" wide) can be flipped just like any other kayak.

Damn, I freaking turtled!!!

(My thanks to Longshotjames and btbrich for the use of their photos)
peterpan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: I Freaking Turtled!!!

Post by peterpan »

I saw that coming... From the last report you posted, but just couldn't conceive it yet...
Anyways, like we say back in Brazil: "these things happen even in the best families".
promark03

Post by promark03 »

It can happen to anyone, even the most experienced. It's a good thing you had floats on everything.
peterpan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by peterpan »

Somebody probably must have been trying to take a pic as you were coming for the re-entry... Every time I turtle I find someone taking pics from the beach, it is like a magnet!

Rodney just got a nice set of pics from myself turtling in very small waves... But still, I felt bad...

Anyways, this Friday Mike we are going to BTHO LSU! Stay warm and dry, well by dry I mean... Not wet in Gulf waters!
Whoop!
Living Waters
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: John 3:16, 1Corinthians 7:31, Proverbs 3:5-6, Matthew 4:19

Post by Living Waters »

Congrats? :clap:
MDKnight

Post by MDKnight »

An epic day! You won't forget it anytime soon! :clap:

Lesson of the day:

Beware of the "big rouge swell." It'll make you "blush" in humility. :oops: :oops: :oops:
goneYAKcrazy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: cypress, tx / coles crossing 2011 Hobie Pro Angler, fully customized by gYc Boatwerkz

Post by goneYAKcrazy »

mike do u not carry your mirage drive in that USS Hobie PA? just a question..id hate to have to paddle that beast any real amount of distance...congrats on turtling though, sounds like at least u had your crap together
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

I found it surprising you turtled your aircraft carrier in such small waves. I would never have thought you could since your yak is so wide. You must have got hit by a rogue wave.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

Mike, I won't even address the dreaded "T" for supersticious reasons, but I will address your equipment issues.

Now that you have evolved from a manually propelled craft to a motorized one, I'll offer you a word of advice that I learned from running power boats for decades. Test everything before you head out. Preferably, test everything the day before, so you have time to work on anything that acts up.

Our fishing time and efforts are too precious to have them foiled by something unexpectedly not working.

Even now, I check everything mechanical (reels, etc.) before I leave home. I don't want any last minute surprises.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Glad you were ok, although sounds like you were roughed up a little bit.

Gear needed a nice cleaning, as I recall you LOVE cleaning reels.

Nice post. I've turtled a few times coming in on the surf...does that really classify as a turtle?

Just don't start Paris Hiltoning on us :lol: :lol:
PoppyG

Post by PoppyG »

At the time I would have been worried about you but now that you made it through (No injuries or hypothermia) and did not loose any valuable gear (faithful glasses excluded) if have to laugh my arss off. (Popeye image just too funny to pass up) I just got my yak motorized. Tell me this, does it make it easier to come through the breakers or swells with the motor. I have not tried that yet. I would expect that going out through the breakers would be alot easier with the motor since you could motor and paddle like heck. Either way glad your OK. BUT where is the fishing report. :)
PoppyG
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

Well Done! (the report, not the swimming).

I like this line:
I had quite a surf garage sale in progress.
thanks for confessing...
Reality Czech

Post by Reality Czech »

Just don't start Paris Hiltoning on us
Heck,....I'd wear a pink tu tu if it kept me from swimming with the fishies in cold water. :lol:
Brrrrr!
Mike, I hope you remembered to bring an extra set of dry clothes this time. :mrgreen:
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

To answer responses and add to the story:

Jim, I always check my motor and electronic out before launching.............this is something that just occurred while out on the water.

I carry my mirage drive only when going over 3/4 mile offshore..........which is seldom at High Island, in the winter. However, I will carry it more often now..........if I had been facing a stiff wind/waves it might have been a terrible paddle back in.

Yesterday, I had a lump and some pain from a place right above my temple (even hurt to chew food), a sore sprained thumb and a few other sore places. I got roughed up a little more than I thought.

I admit the swells didn't look that bad............one of the reasons I had no concerns or preparation for a rough surf. But paddling in, out in deeper water I would on occasionally get a swell that would really propel me forward. I should have taken the clue.

I normally(and that day) have everything tied down or on a float: tied - eVove motor and accompanying control unit, bait bags, crate, etc...............floats - pliers, knife, gaff, etc.....). Only thing lost was my glasses...........the last thing I wanted to lose..........even though they were my old pair. Now I got to figure out what to do about wearing glasses out there fishing..............not going to lose my new $550 pair! :roll:

As experienced as I am, yes it was a lesson learned................I will not be ill prepared again, no matter how ice cream things look! :dance:

And I just scratched my head and the knot up there is still sore! :horse: :)
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

The only way to ensure that you never turtle.............is never go out in your kayak! 8)

I think the calm weather days combined with plenty of people on the beach with cameras increases your chances of turtling!
MONSTER
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by MONSTER »

Even Muhammad Ali lost a couple of times. Glad you're ok.

$550 glasses?!??! :shock:
Redyaker

Post by Redyaker »

Night Wing wrote:I found it surprising you turtled your aircraft carrier in such small waves. I would never have thought you could since your yak is so wide. You must have got hit by a rogue wave.

OMG!!!! Even the "Master" turtles now and then.........I like that term "Rogue Wave".......now I know why I keep turtling on re entry........ha.......yeah......rogue wave......that's what has been doing it......ha
Reality Czech

Post by Reality Czech »

MM,.....you might want to czech out this site for low cost eyeglasses.
I've got 5 pair from them and been happy with them all.
I especially like the yellow tinted ones for hunting,....really brings out the contrast on cloudy days. I got a pair of anti-glares in each truck for driving.
All you need is a current prescription.

http://www.zennioptical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tradercj

Post by Tradercj »

I feel for your loss of glasses. Several years ago I turtled in a canoe and lost mine. I am nearsighted and could not see much past the end of the canoe. An indiana listed to my problem and stayed just ahead of me in his canoe and I played follow the leader while he read the river and got me back to my parked car and extra glasses. Three weeks later and a hundred miles away a want add was placed by a snokle diver who found my glasses. A friend of a relative read the add and knew about my story and the word got to me. I contacted the diver and the glasses were mine and I got them back.

Don't give up hope, strange things happen, meanwhile carry extra glasses.
RocknRolla

Post by RocknRolla »

Great report, fish or no fish. You’re a modest man and I’m glad to hear you’re ok!

IF THIS WAS EASY EVERYONE WOULD BE DOING IT!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

First of all I'm sorry to hear you were hurt. I'm sure it could have been worse but that's little comfort when you are the one suffering the pain!

Second, I think it was you who once told me ".. the only people who never turtle are the ones not fishing". To all of us who persue the passion IT IS SO WORTH IT! You caught some beautiful fish and got home safely.

No one likes to turtle, but everyone should be prepared for it.

Take comfort in knowing you probably won't turtle for another year at least! :lol:
It's a keeper

Post by It's a keeper »

I would want to soak in a hot tub after that "experience". Very colorful sunset pic.

Mike said:
As I tried to get the yak to the beach, I found my anchor had fallen out and was holding me from going on. It must have been caught on a bar because it took breaking the zip tie to get it loose.
I had that happen to me in Matagorda and since then I don't have my anchor line connected to my yak when I paddle to the beach. My Matagorda turtle had my anchor keeping my yak in a deep gut (swimming height).

It's a keeper
fiSh ZoMbiE

Post by fiSh ZoMbiE »

only funny cause your ok.
:lol: :clap: thanks for the laugh this morning.
FlounderPounder57

Post by FlounderPounder57 »

WOW Mike, that's some story. Glad you weren't banged up too bad only lost your glasses. Happened to me summer before last at BA 16. I didn't have anything stowed away. My anchor was still tied to the anchor trolley and of course stuck in the sand. I ended up between the 2nd and 3 rd bar in water over my head. I got beat up pretty bad by the breakers until a couple of yakkers came to my rescue and untied my anchor line so that I could get in. I've never re-entered again without stowing EVERYTHING in some way. Hard lessons learned.
Renfish
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Renfish »

Glad to hear all turned out okay, except for your bumped head. I know the feeling though. The year of Ike, when we were fishing Matty, I turtled more than ever. Something about that Matty surf just didn't agree with me and my yak. I learned my biggest lesson ever - something that Bryne always lectured me about and I just didn't do. NEVER LET YOUR YAK GET BETWEEN YOU AND THE WAVES. I wasn't paying attention while trying to gather my stuff (which was not secured) and a nice wave through my 65 pound yak into me. Result - bruised ribs that took about 6 weeks to heal.

Two lessons from that turtle - secure your equipment and pay attention :D