Flipping PA/Outback right side up

Yakety_Yak

Flipping PA/Outback right side up

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Gday folks! I've been hearing from people while out fishing for a long time now on how you can't flip a PA 12 or PA 14 back over once you turtle. If you are in the surf, I wouldn't recommend right siding a kayak due to the obvious reasons. However, when you are past the surf, in the bay, lakes, etc... you are not dealing with conditions of the surf and then why is it not possible? I constantly hear that the PA is such a huge kayak and it is impossible to next to impossible to flip it back over once you have capsized. In the video I am posting, I will show how to flip an Outback and a PA 14 back over. I am not a light person by any means. In fact, I am on the heavy side. If someone like me can do it, then many of you can as well.

The same thing I have done on the PA in this video you can apply to just about any kayak out there. If you don't have a place to strap up to on a kayak, you can always add some hardware to help for the situation I will be talking about on the video. I hope you enjoy!

Last edited by Yakety_Yak on Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Flipping PA/Outback right side up

Post by kickingback »

Great post Blake! Thanks for taking the time to fully illustrate that for everyone! Awesome. I will make my own "righting line". I bought a 50' spool of 1" webbing and can rig one up effectively. I never knew about the strap method and will carry one all the time on my PA14 now!
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

kickingback wrote:Great post Blake! Thanks for taking the time to fully illustrate that for everyone! Awesome. I will make my own "righting line". I bought a 50' spool of 1" webbing and can rig one up effectively. I never knew about the strap method and will carry one all the time on my PA14 now!

Thanks Charlie!! The only line I wouldn't recommend using is something that will give you possible rope burn or something of that nature while pulling yourself up. When your hands are wet, it doesn't take much to get rope burn. This is why I looked at the strap. I'm sure there are other things to use but for demonstration purposes, I chose the strap and it can be bought at ACK.
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

Great vid, I still have to practice with my kayak. But now I want to see you you upright a hobie 17T. :lol:
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

can you upright that adventure island? kust kidding nice vid
Living Waters
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: John 3:16, 1Corinthians 7:31, Proverbs 3:5-6, Matthew 4:19

Post by Living Waters »

Nice 8)
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Great video Blake! I did not realize that a PA could be flipped back over so efficiently. Using a strap was easy and effective so will make sure to keep one handy in my PA.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Glad ya like, Drifting Yak. Thanks for the use of your pool to film the video at.
hookd

Post by hookd »

Thank you for the video. Gonna be practicing more on re entry on a outback. I tried but couldnt due to pfd. I am gonna adjust an try again soon.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

hookd wrote:Thank you for the video. Gonna be practicing more on re entry on a outback. I tried but couldnt due to pfd. I am gonna adjust an try again soon.

If re entry is still not working for you, try the strap method that I showed on the PA for the Outback. You can use the strap to not only flip the Outback back up but also to get back into the yak. Tight lines! :)
King flounder

Post by King flounder »

What's up Blake, great video! I wished of known how to flip my PA 12 at the time I turtled at Texas City. LOl That was three years ago, now I know better. :D
on a mission
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by on a mission »

With all due respect Blake, I will be negative nancy. Just cant see that happening with a panicked yakker offshore with waves and current. And especially with a shark hookup or presence. Justify the boats, I understand. Hate on me , fine. I want a safer yak offshore that I can flip over with ease. Sorry I missed your call when down here later in the evening, but my weekender neighbor put on the shrimp and most importantly, the keg. :D
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

You don't have to be offshore to flip a kayak. And besides, this video offers a great way to remedy the situation, no matter which kayak you're in. Be safe out there folks!
quibbly

Post by quibbly »

on a mission wrote:With all due respect Blake, I will be negative nancy. Just cant see that happening with a panicked yakker offshore with waves and current. And especially with a shark hookup or presence. Justify the boats, I understand. Hate on me , fine. I want a safer yak offshore that I can flip over with ease. Sorry I missed your call when down here later in the evening, but my weekender neighbor put on the shrimp and most importantly, the keg. :D
I can simply say that I flipped at the Extreme in the Bahamas in 10 ft swells, strong current , wind and with a shark around me. Add in a hook in my left hip.

It's amazing how fast you can flip a kayak over with a live well full of water and bait, three fishing rods and being a little concerned because the weather and water were not compliant.

Flipping is part of the game, especially in bad conditions. The secret is to realize when you panic at first is to stop panicking and evaluate the situation then react.
deputydog21875

Post by deputydog21875 »

Blake, Thank you for this video. I just bought my PA 14 today and my first question is how would I get my fat ass back that yak. Your video has eased those fears. Thanks again
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

deputydog21875 wrote:Blake, Thank you for this video. I just bought my PA 14 today and my first question is how would I get my fat ass back that yak. Your video has eased those fears. Thanks again

Glad to help!! Whenever you are ready to take that PA out, hit me up. I'll be glad to fish with ya. 832-588-7091
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I flipped a PA 14 in the surf. I wound up between sand bars and could not reach the bottom. Was not possible to upright this kayak until I could stand up. If I had a strap or rope attached like you did, would have saved me a lot of energy and frustration.
Another kayaker swam out to help me in the deep gut. Two of us could not upright the PA 14.
Michael Meyer

Post by Michael Meyer »

Tombo wrote:I flipped a PA 14 in the surf. I wound up between sand bars and could not reach the bottom. Was not possible to upright this kayak until I could stand up. If I had a strap or rope attached like you did, would have saved me a lot of energy and frustration.
Another kayaker swam out to help me in the deep gut. Two of us could not upright the PA 14.
Is there any way I can send you a PM on this site? I live in the CC area and wanted to talk to you about fishing.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Michael Meyer wrote:
Tombo wrote:I flipped a PA 14 in the surf. I wound up between sand bars and could not reach the bottom. Was not possible to upright this kayak until I could stand up. If I had a strap or rope attached like you did, would have saved me a lot of energy and frustration.
Is there any way I can send you a PM on this site? I live in the CC area and wanted to talk to you about fishing.
You can send me a PM by clicking on my name. Gives your my history and among other things such as send me a PM.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I even use this strap on the Hobie Tandem Island. The strap really makes a difference.