Getting through the breakers

Addisonsmithdt2016

Getting through the breakers

Post by Addisonsmithdt2016 »

Has anyone ever though of (or done) getting a long rope for someone on a pier to hold and pull the kayak to the end of the pier while you swim along side the kayak and hold it from flipping over?
Endo

Re: Getting through the breakers

Post by Endo »

If you would have a need to rely on such a method either due to weather and/or your own skill level, then you shouldn't be going out BTB.

Sorry to be blunt.

I can also think of a number of reasons why this would be more dangerous and accident prone than just paddling through the surf on your own in the normal fashion.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Hard to understand what you are asking? Breakers and pier do not go well to together in my personal opinion! I would stay as far from a pier in breaking water or you will get in the pylons and get hurt real bad.
And why would it flip over? Who is pulling the yak and why?
Like said, if you cannot make it past the breakers you shouldn't go out further than a few hundred yards from shore for your and others safety.
And you never want to put two kayakers in a safety situation instead of one. Towing someone should be used as a resort when the other cannot maneuver on their own.
Boxermaniac98

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

turtle, right it, get back in, do it all over and over and over and over. you will finally figure it out.
Addisonsmithdt2016

I've been offshore kayak many times and the breakers have always been challenging for me even on calmer days. Just trying to find easier ways to get it past the breakers. Maybe if I had someone swim out past them with me and help hold on/getting it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

I'm going out on a limb here, but most kayakers would suggest you stick with pier fishing. The person you find foolish enough to swim out for you, I suggest you buy their pass onto the pier and you both sit down and fish. :wink:
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Addisonsmithdt2016 wrote:I've been offshore kayak many times and the breakers have always been challenging for me even on calmer days. Just trying to find easier ways to get it past the breakers. Maybe if I had someone swim out past them with me and help hold on/getting it out?

Check out these videos and go out and practice WITHOUT any gear in 10 mph or less winds and 2 ft or less waves. The ONLY way you will get past the breakers is to "judge" your strokes and the waves and get your upper body stronger to paddle harder out through the waves.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ng+in+surf
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: RE: Re: Getting through the breakers

Post by Boomy »

Addisonsmithdt2016 wrote:I've been offshore kayak many times and the breakers have always been challenging for me even on calmer days. Just trying to find easier ways to get it past the breakers. Maybe if I had someone swim out past them with me and help hold on/getting it out?

I have to ask, what kind of kayak do you have?
The trick to the surf is straight into the wave, preferably before it crests.
Between them go all balls to the next one.
If that isn't working, it might be the kayak design or the volume of gear?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Addisonsmithdt2016

Boomy wrote:

I have to ask, what kind of kayak do you have?
The trick to the surf is straight into the wave, preferably before it crests.
Between them go all balls to the next one.
If that isn't working, it might be the kayak design or the volume of gear?

I don't own one but I always rent a hobie pro angler 12. They're pretty beaver so that probably has an impact on me.

Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

Ya, PA's aren't very surf friendly.

Addisonsmithdt2016

Boomy wrote:Ya, PA's aren't very surf friendly.

They're so nice though with all the storage and everything.

Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

Happy with my storage and last weekend I was in Florida surfing the waves all the way in. Hobies have their fans, but surf is not their strength.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Crashing thru the waves just sounds like fun to me. Never done it before but been out in 5' and 6' waves just screwing around. No one was born with the gift of crashing thru the waves with a kayak with perfection it's all trial and error. Eventually you'll get good at it but more than likely in the beginning a wave will come crashing down on you but that's how u learn. Just Have fun
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

If you are renting a Hobie PA 12 you can use the peddles to help you get out. Watch those videos I posted. It is easy to put your drive in and put it in the "up" position andlock in place and then walk you kayak out to 2' deep in surf and wait for opening. Jump in lower the blades of the drive and start peddling like a mad man! Have your paddle in your hands as well and use for myore leverage to get out. You have to move fast after the wave go past.
I have a PA 14 and it is no problem for me.
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Kickingback has the best suggestion for you. I practiced that way and had my kids practice like that over and over. Just made a game of it. On occasion there will still be that wave that overpowers you or catches you at an angle you weren't predicting, but with the practice you will know how to quickly recover.
ChrisCastro

Post by ChrisCastro »

Just practice brotha, every kayak has it's own personality with the water. Punching through waves effectively does have a lot to do with how the kayak is designed. I had recently posted this video of me running through my practice reps, perhaps you will see the difference from other videos between different styles of kayaks.
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: RE: Re: Getting through the breakers

Post by Boomy »

ChrisCastro wrote:

Just practice brotha, every kayak has it's own personality with the water. Punching through waves effectively does have a lot to do with how the kayak is designed. I had recently posted this video of me running through my practice reps, perhaps you will see the difference from other videos between different styles of kayaks.
I was going to post my video from EKFT, but didn't want it to look like I was picking on a certain brand.

Duweezy

Post by Duweezy »

I have a PA14 that I take offshore and I agree it is one of the least performing boats for the surf, also when turtled, it is one of the hardest to right over. Where it shines is after the breakers, it is an awesome fishing platform with tons of storage/space. Make sure you are able to self rescue on the PA before going offshore.

I've been fishing in the PA a few years now and I usually stick to 2 ft waves max when I go out, although I have gone out in worse (tourney day maybe 3-4 ft). What I do is paddle till the mirage drive clears without hitting bottom and haul ass out. On calm days coming back in, I will go in backwards (paddling) with the fins tucked against the hull. On rough days coming back in, I will jump out before the breakers and just swim the boat in.

Just practice going out and in till you get it. If you can't, then the PA is not for you and I suggest you practice on a different kayak. Good luck.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

Addison, weren't you the young man I swam out to rescue at last BWKC who swamped and capsized on the 5th bar? I believe that event was one of your first trips. Practice, patience, and perseverence combined with the right equipment and proper supervision will help you get where you need to go.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I just keep it simple. All my trips I was using a Hobie, Pro Angler 12 and 14, Revolution 16 and Revolution 11. I just use the paddle initially to straighten out the kayak, time the waves at each sand bar and go for it using the Mirage drive.
If the surf is in the 3-4 foot range, good luck getting out. Coming back in is another story.