VHF?

Kalait

Re: VHF?

Post by Kalait »

Ron Mc thanks for your assistance in getting started. Finally got my MMSI number and radio programmed with it. For vessel name, I used the company and boat name. For the wireless number, I used my cell phone. Vessel flag State: the state in which I live. Ship Classification: Paddle (Canoe/kayak) way down on the list. Used N/A on everything down to Primary Emergency Contact: I used the wife's name cell phone and home number. Vessel Capacity: the max weight of the kayak (naked number).

Good luck and tight lines
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: VHF?

Post by Ron Mc »

you got it - congrats - I'm thinking about buying a second radio and registering the MMSI to my dad's power boat.
That way in November when we mothership two kayaks around Arroyo City, we can talk on private channel, so the only radio traffic we hear will be us, and locate each other on GPS.
A lot of that registration info is optional, but the Coast Guard will have immediate computer access to all of it if needed.

Also not a bad idea to emboss your registration certificate and hang it like a luggage tag inside one of your hatches - or stash it in a dry box. That way if your boat ever floats away, they can find you. Another good idea would be to take heated metal punches and emboss MMSI number on a boat hull like a serial number - if your boat ever gets stolen, and recovered, there's a CG/FCC database to identify it.