PA14 not so obvious places for water intrusion into the hull

Longliner

PA14 not so obvious places for water intrusion into the hull

Post by Longliner »

The obvious intrusion areas would be all hatches and drain plugs but where else can water sneak in?
Longliner

Re: PA14 not so obvious places for water intrusion into the hull

Post by Longliner »

If I roll the pa14 3times in the surf it's a guaranteed 2gallons in the hull. A semi windy choppy day on a lake might result in 1cup in 2hrs
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Need to know if you're in choppy water with water coming over the top of your hatch in front and also is it so choppy you get splashes in the back? Take it out without any weight and see where the water is coming over the sides or the front and back. if you load heavy then the hull sits lower to let more waves splash over the sides.
My guess, which is the biggest issue with the Hobie's, is the front hatch seal. You can put a go pro with a light in the front hatch or out in the sun and close it and soak it with a water hose. See if the video shows water coming in either front or back or middle hatches. If no leaks then open the hatches and fill with water with the kayak up off the ground and see if any water is dripping or flowing out.
Buy the seal from Hobie or a Home Depot and YouTube has many videos on adding seals. Good luck!
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Yeah I can't say I've been in such calm water yet that it hasn't come over the front hatch. its sealed with rubber from the factory. I like the gopro idea for sure.
So other then the hatches and drain plugs where else can water get in if the hull isn't cracked or worn?
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

I think if I can apply enough down pressure on the front hatch I might get a better seal.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I had the same issue with mine. I took the water hose with the spray nozzle and sprayed around the nose the stopped and checked for water in the hull. I did this in one foot increments all around the kayak until I got to the back. Most of the water was coming in through the front hatch. My center hatch does leak a little.

Another way to check is to through a few 5 gallon buckets of water on the front hatch.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Also I'm not sure the bungees alone for the front hatch will hold once it's flipped. I added some latches to my front hatch just to be safe.
Attachments
IMG_20190514_154353.jpg
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

I have rolled several times in the surf but I have a fishbag attached securely sitting on the front hatch. Its tied down to the front handle and back to rails on the yak. I think the hatch would have opened completely otherwise. The rubber latches you installed for extra security is a good idea and I wouldn't go through the breakers without something extra holding it down.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Here's what I used

COOLOGIN Rubber Flexible T-Handle Hasp Draw Latch for Tool Box, Cooler, Golf Cart or Engineering Machine Hood (2 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075KGNN8K/re ... mDbG5BNVNB
Brucell

Post by Brucell »

kickingback wrote:Need to know if you're in choppy water with water coming over the top of your hatch in front and also is it so choppy you get splashes in the back? Take it out without any weight and see where the water is coming over the sides or the front and back. if you load heavy then the hull sits lower to let more waves splash over the sides.
My guess, which is the biggest issue with the Hobie's, is the front hatch seal. You can put a go pro with a light in the front hatch or out in the sun and close it and soak it with a water hose. See if the video shows water coming in either front or back or middle hatches. If no leaks then open the hatches and fill with water with the kayak up off the ground and see if any water is dripping or flowing out.
Buy the seal from Hobie or a Home Depot and YouTube has many videos on adding seals. Good luck!
In fact Hobie does sell a gasket that is specifically for the PA14. It is a gasket much like the one on your fridge. It mounts on your lid with a strong double sided tape. I believe, on certain year models, this is an issue (it certainly is an issue on the 2019 Outback, they now come with a gasket on the lid itself as well as the hull opening). Talk to ACK, FTU , but I would call Hobie 760-758-9100.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

The leaking issue I had on my PA14 wasn't because I didn't have the gasket installed on the lid it was because the gasket didn't follow the exact pattern of the gasket on the base of the hatch. If the lid gasket is off 1/4" one of the other it's going to leak. Hobie needs to provide a pattern for this gasket like they've done with gasket kit for the 2019 Outback. I've reached out to Hobie about this and they quickly brushed it away. Hobie does listen tho so if more people ask about it they will react.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

There is no doubt Hobie could do a better job with making the front hatch more water tight.
I see what looks like weather stripping on the front hatch to keep water out of the hull and two small bungees to keep the lid closed. Its rather disappointing but fixable.