Getting Some Surf Practice In

hydroman19

Getting Some Surf Practice In

Post by hydroman19 »

Hey everyone,

New to the forums here, and I plan to get out for some BTB practice tomorrow launching/surfing in the Viking. First time in this boat so I want to get used to how it handles and so I don't go dump all the gear (as often...). I typically fish the Surfside/Galveston area; any recommended spots around there? I saw the wind is going to be up a bit tomorrow so should be some good times. Thanks!
Longliner

Re: Getting Some Surf Practice In

Post by Longliner »

Nothing like a good turtling in the surf in the wee morning hours to wake you up.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

The best part is after you turtle and that next wave crashes down and slams the kayak into your skull then you really know you're awake.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

The breakers are going to be small for the next two weeks so it is a good time to practice. Check out surf report for where you want to go and check the weather and wind. Plan and have fun!
Angler

Post by Angler »

What KB said.

Tethering is more than a good idea since Boga Grips don’t float really well (or float away on a float too fast before you realize its gone). The worst part of turtle game, at least for me, is sand in my reels.

GL
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

This is the reason we practice these skills before loading the boat down. I plan to take a couple of kayaks to the surf this afternoon too. My daughter can play, my wife can look for seashells and I can practice ...win-win-win!
Fishinganywhere

Post by Fishinganywhere »

That was what i ended up doing wednesday, all the way down pins in front of some snapper rocks just not quite crazy enough to take my gear with me in that surf
hydroman19

Post by hydroman19 »

Thanks for all of the tips! I went out to Surfside this morning... awesome day on the water. I spent a few hours launching and surfing back in (OK mostly rolling back in- gotta keep practicing that side-brace!). I also got some practice flipping the boat and crawling back on deck in deeper water. Yes sir, definitely have tethers for the paddle+gear; a buddy told those are must-haves. Ha, yes that first roll was better than coffee; thankfully no sucker punches from the kayak today!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:clap: Well done! Try practicing coming in backwards when your loaded to help you NOT wipe out. Nothing wrong with coming in backward to protect your gear. Try it. Much easier.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Practicing and regearing on my Ocean Prowler 13, how do you keep your storage box closed when you turtle, I have been using bungee cords however, they are about to break. Needing something else to keep the box closed. :( :? :oops:
hydroman19

Post by hydroman19 »

Kalait, I've seen some videos on the backwards paddling; I'll try that out next!

On the storage box.... 550 cord is always good to have; I guess you'd have to rig some knots to keep it tied down though.
impulse

Post by impulse »

I have discovered the beauty of waterproof, sealed boxes for kayaking where I may take a spill. Plano has a series, as do most of the other main players. Academy has a good selection, though they're often out of stock in the stores and then it's online shopping and pretty quick delivery. I've stayed with the PE plastic ones as opposed to the much more expensive polycarbonate ones. Even when I do take a spill, they float and keep the contents dry.

I also have some big (think bulk peanut butter) plastic jars to hold my wallet, cell phone and keys. Cheap and very handy.

Not as common in the USA as in Asia, I also use a lot of Lock-Lock Brand (or equivalent) Tupperwear style kitchen boxes. Make sure to get the ones that lock and not typical Tupperware. Here's an example of a good value from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C3VDS13

Lots of different sizes and lots of different uses around all kinds of boats where goodies get ruined in the salt and sand. But I'm having a hard time keeping the family from swiping them all for the kitchen.

In addition to paddling backwards, I have found no shame in jumping out of the kayak and walking it in once I'm about waist deep. Most of my tumbles have been in very shallow water where the wave energy is the most focused. Last time I was out, I bent my aluminum paddle in half staying straight in a wave that caught me by surprise in knee deep water. I stayed upright, but it was a hollow victory given the cost of even a cheap aluminum paddle.

Edit: BTW, the surf at Sea Isle in Galveston this morning was around 6 inches. Great day for kayaking the beach.