A great day on the water!

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

A great day on the water!

Post by Prof. Salt »

What a day! Fifteen kings came aboard (at least four were over 50"), two giants bit through the wire before I could grab their tails beside the kayak. I finally put the bait away and switched to lures. The Tsunami Slimwave got me a bobo, five strawberry grouper (only kept the one stud), two maybe legal gag grouper released, and a Halco Max 110 found two mid-20s snapper. Forphoto size comparison, the three kings kept were 47-52". They came to the boat hooked deep and wouldn't have survived. When it was time to head for shore, I was able to surf the ground swells, even with a hatch completely full of fish, and I maintained 6-8 mph for a good part of the way in. Camera batteries were dead by that point, but it was a great way to finish a fantastic morning on the water!
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: A great day on the water!

Post by shoffer »

Nice report, Professor. I am always impressed by your ability to always find the Kings. I saw your downwind surfing video and was also impressed by how you never seem to turtle, even with all that extra weight. I have turtled once, and I think it sucks. To me, it feels like one of the most demoralizing things that can happen (except not as bad as losing a trophy fish, or a first-time species, right at the boat or at the net).
Angler

Post by Angler »

Great day indeed! Nice haul and mix. Thanks for report.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Well done Glenn! Live bait is a pain to haul and hook up sometimes. Good job on a lure only offshore trip! :clap:
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

I don't know which would wear me out more, all that paddling or fighting all those fish. Either way it would be the best workout ever! Awesome trip Prof!!
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

kickingback wrote: Live bait is a pain to haul and hook up sometimes. Good job on a lure only offshore trip! :clap:
Thanks! I started with ribbonfish, then switched to a few live sand trout caught with lures. After that I tried not to catch kings so I could look for bottom fish. I'm impressed at how many types of fish will eat that Halco max 110 as it dangles below the boat. I kept it 5-10 feet off the bottom and both snapper ate that lure, along with several of the kings.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I love Halco lures! I have bought quite a few of those and do the same thing! They are awesome! The heavier the better too! I always use a 24" steel leader (80wire) with mine already pre-rigged to drop! Thanks Glen!
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Florida fish love those Halco 110s as well. Nice Prof!? Cant wait to see the video!
bones72

Post by bones72 »

That's a freezer full for certain
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

bones72 wrote:That's a freezer full for certain
My usual MO is to fish on Saturday and then give most of it away at church on Sunday. I did get some snapper and strawberry fillets tucked away in the freezer. This way there's still room for the next haul :D
bones72

Post by bones72 »

sounds good. I love doing stuff that way