BTB basic setups

Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

BTB basic setups

Post by Alsatian »

Alrighty. I've been out of the loop for a few years with family and work. Now that my boy is getting older he's wanting to do more fishing. Specifically salt water fishing. This is what I currently have: Penn 309 (made in USA) on an 7' Ugly Stick with medium heavy action that I used for trolling. Daiwa Exceler 4000 on a 7' Ugly Stick with medium action I used to target snapper. I'm replacing the lines on both but don't remember what I have on there now. So what kind of line would you run on each reel and if I'm getting gear for my son what should I get him. I do have another 309 that I could use for trolling but need recommendations for snapper/jigging. I have had good luck with what I have and am comfortable using it but would like some suggestions. Also, are there any recommendations for a spinning set up for onshore?
SWFinatic

Re: BTB basic setups

Post by SWFinatic »

For inshore I bought a Okuma Epixor spinning reel for under $50. This is one solid spinning reel. I'm hoping I catch a king or something solid with it to really test it but so far I'm impressed.
Okuma EPXT-20 Epixor Spinning Reel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076QDPGTB/re ... qDbNC4XFE4
I like the Falcon inshore 7' for the rod. It's around $100 and has good sensitivity.
For line IMO 15 lb Power Pro braid with about a 3 foot 20 lb. Mono leader is hard to beat. I've always used Big Game for the mono and had good luck.
GregO722

Post by GregO722 »

Both of those are great setups. I would use 25 lb mono on the 309 and either 15 or 20 lb mono on the spinning reel. I currently have several conventional reels for trolling, one of which is a 209. It’s spooled with 25# (Big Game I think) and works just fine. I just moved it to a 7’ Tiger light rod, yet to be tested but seems to be a great combo. I also have several spinning rigs, smallest reel is a Penn Slammer 3 4500 loaded with 15# mono. I’m really thinking about changing this one to 20# mono. I will lose some line capacity, but that should be ok as I’m on a kayak.(I can follow a big fish if needed) I do not use braid on anything that will go offshore in a kayak. I’ve heard that braid can saw through a plastic kayak (think long hard King run), true or not, I’m not willing to make that gamble. Good luck and I hope to see you out there catching fish!
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

This one is sealed with brass gears and has a live liner which will be awesome for drifting or trolling as well. Match it up with a ugly stick tiger rod and your set. I'm a fishing tackle junkie but sealed reels are the way to go if your serious about btb.
15646879105208137644170612577098.jpg
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Longliner wrote:This one is sealed with brass gears and has a live liner which will be awesome for drifting or trolling as well. Match it up with a ugly stick tiger rod and your set. I'm a fishing tackle junkie but sealed reels are the way to go if your serious about btb.15646879105208137644170612577098.jpg

I have three of the 6500 LL. The problem is that even though the reel is sealed, the drag knob in the back isn't. I have to go and get those cleaned each year a few times (the cost adds up). The salt gets in there and corrodes it up making it very difficult to next to impossible to utilize that drag. Until PENN comes up with something better for that, I recommend going without the LL series and just using a PENN 6500. Don't get me wrong, I am pleased with this reel. I just don't like having to send it in every so often to get it fixed. PENN has offered me a nominal price to switch out my 6500 LL's for the PENN 6500. I will be doing that this fall after the season is over.

Currently the rear drag is frozen but my primary drag still works just fine. For now I am still in the game and able to catch fish!! :)
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

The rear cap is sealed on the VI brother actually it has 2 seals the O ring and inside where it presses up against the live liner adjustment
15647044652136164183913025073643.jpg
Last edited by Longliner on Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

I don't see how water could get inside from the cap end maybey somewheres else though but I doubt it. Yakety yak do you have the penn V or VI?
This was one of the upgrades on the new penn VI brother just bc of the reason you mentioned.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Ah, that's good to know. I have three of the PENN Spinfisher V 6500 LL combo. I was going to change to the 6500 but from what you are showing, that looks like PENN has fixed the problem finally. I really did love the design but the problem I was having didn't make sense to have the LL design. I will now talk to PENN to see if they can change my 6500 LL's to the newer version. Thanks for the heads up.