Paddling out

Kalait

Paddling out

Post by Kalait »

How long does it generally take the paddlers to get to the rigs from Bob Hall pier? Looking at the 5-mile rigs.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Paddling out

Post by Prof. Salt »

For the shortest paddle, drive down to the bowl (high dunes without grass/plant cover. It takes me about an hour to get there ...but I have a pretty zippy kayak.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

yeah, holding 5 kts for an hour is not possible for most kayaks.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

That's why I mentioned the zippy kayak.

It completely depends on what you and your yak can do. At 2.5 mph it would take two hours. At 4 mph it would take an hour and 15 minutes. At 3 mph it would take 1 hour and 40 minutes. At 1 mph it would take 5 hours. Paddling at 2 mph it would take 2.5 hours. These times are one way, so plan accordingly.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Kalait if you're practicing or conditioning try to do it in some windy conditions. Going through 2-3 foot swells not only adds distance to your paddle but requires more effort. And once your out there you'll likely put in another couple miles trolling. But it's well worth it!!
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

At this point, I can paddle at .75 to 2.5 mph most of the time during a 6-mile paddle on a lake. I am going out in wind and with the chop of PB and personal watercraft. Learning to handle the chop without turning into the wave.