This is a Russelure? Sweet!

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

This is a Russelure? Sweet!

Post by Prof. Salt »

As I was leaving the surgeon's office a friend (the assistant from my first neck fusion) stopped me and said he wanted to give me something. He has been seeing my fly tying posts and when he ran across this lure he wanted to get one for me. I trolled Russelures for years when I was young, and they are very effective. I had no idea they made them for fly fishing. Be still my heart! :lol:

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: This is a Russelure? Sweet!

Post by Ron Mc »

pretty trick - now you need a blue collar cane rod and enameled silk fly line to throw it. :mrgreen:

In my display curios, I have a mother-of-pearl fly rod spoon shaped like a fish, and of course the obligatory river runts.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Nice gift! I would have to think twice about fishing it as it is an old vintage lure in the original box that I would add to my collection of old lures! Gotta try it on the fly though is the next best option and I think you made the right choice!
I a couple of those without the box in my collection but have not tried to fish them. Let us know when you catch something and I may drag my lures out my next outing.
Thanks for sharing Glenn.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

no question the lure in the box (or on the card) is more valuable than one that has been taken out/off to fish
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I think this one is headed to a shelf near the tying bench, with the other old/valued lures.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I used to troll Russellures behind my powerboat in the Caribbean. But, they were at least six inches long, made of bent sheet aluminum. I'm not sure if I ever caught a fish with one. If I came home with what Glenn did, my wife would want to know why I just bought ONE earring! TexasJim
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

TexasJim wrote:I used to troll Russellures behind my powerboat in the Caribbean. But, they were at least six inches long, made of bent sheet aluminum. I'm not sure if I ever caught a fish with one. If I came home with what Glenn did, my wife would want to know why I just bought ONE earring! TexasJim
This one is also made of aluminum with the same hardware as the full sized lure but in miniature. At first I thought it was just a joke, but it really is made for casting on fly gear. This one won't see the water, but it's pretty cool that I've got the smallest possible model of a lure that caught hundreds of kings for me offshore when I was young.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Some people are selling some nice vintage antique lures on EBay they found at estate sales or other places and have no clue how much they are worth and you can get a good deal. I am always looking and have a saved search that sends me emails of new auctions. I have one "vintage lure", "Antique lure", "Estate find lure", or "Lot of lures". These give me some good choices to view and buy.
Right now I have been working on my fly tying addiction and have a collection of fly tying vises and tools that would dumfound some people at the amount of stuff I have in my collection. I will try to post someday.

You made the right choice to set it aside Glenn. Nice lure! :clap:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I don't think Glenn actually made a decision, it was kind of a no-brainer from the start.
The NFLCC has a giant national meet, state-wide/regional meets, and even local meets where large sums of money change hands for lures and sundries. Collectors will work long and hard or pay big to find the one color and size example of a lure that's missing from their collection.
Lang's national auction is always a fun one to check their catalog on-line, and if you connect with NFLCC, they have their own telephone auctions and mail out catalogs.
The (empty) box for a Civil-War era bass plug sold once in auction for $12,000.
It works out that right about 100 years, the packaging an item came in crosses and exceeds the value of the item itself.