Getting back into shape

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Getting back into shape

Post by Prof. Salt »

I've been working hard to get back into shape for the upcoming "Covid19-sponsored" offshore season. I didn't paddle at all for 10 weeks and the previous three months featured minimal paddling in the flats, so I found myself with visibly smaller shoulders and in real need of a rebuilding program. I'm making good progress, and yesterday was a new high mark for me. Winds were sustained at 24 with gusts as high as 39 when I arrived at the bay front, but I headed out and put in almost 4 1/2 miles. Paddling the Stealth was the only option in winds that high, but I was astounded when I checked the GPS and had completed 4.4 miles in one hour. Much of that was within the harbor, but at least a mile was out in more open water with big chop and nasty head winds.

The jacks and Spanish have arrived at local jetties, so now I am shopping for a good window to get back offshore.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Getting back into shape

Post by Ron Mc »

good for you Glenn.
Last weekend's paddle left all of us with sore core muscles, thigh muscles, and Lou complained about his feet.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Good to hear it, I would love to fill the smoker with some mackerel. I'm hoping for a window next week
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

The Prof is back!!!!! So glad to hear man!
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Yes, yes! Glad to see Glenn back out there.
As soon as Glenn pulls the first king off water then we will head south to join in.
This covid thing is hurting the community bad.
Everyone needs to follow Glenn getting back to the BTB soon.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

If I see a window, I maybe down there as well. If I can't go then I'll be waiting to hear about your report when you do head offshore. I heard a report that the jacks and smacks were back. I'm taking my son to fish the jettys tomorrow. Hopefully we will be able to slay them from there.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Good to hear! I went out last Sunday in attempt to get into offshore shape. The fishing I've been doing since last summer (flats and a few short lake trips) doesn't get me ready for offshore. I put 2 rods out trolling 3/4 oz Rat-L-Trap and a went about 6 miles with the peddles. This isn't where I need to be but I was sore afterwards so as long as I keep this up I should be good to go when an opportunity comes up.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Paddling in 24 to 39 winds is remarkable Glenn! Well done on getting back into shape for offshore. Can't wait to meet up with you again this year. Last year was fun on the couple of times I was on the water the same time as you. Good luck on the rehabilitation.