When and where, exactly, for a newbie...

niswanger

When and where, exactly, for a newbie...

Post by niswanger »

Hello TKF'ers :)

Two questions, in the form of a video below. When would your recommend BTB for the time-frame of June 15 to July 31 and where exactly, which area (question detailed in below video):

https://youtu.be/hE1TnybmAcI

Thank you,
Roy
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: When and where, exactly, for a newbie...

Post by Prof. Salt »

BTB is not about dates, it's about finding the weather that will allow you to get off and back onto the beach safely. Any date in your range could be great fishing times if the weather gives you a break. Surf conditions, winds that you can handle and thunderstorm likelihood are the three big things we watch closely. Some paddlers can go in pretty sketchy conditions, but don't let them encourage you to bite off more than you can chew.

That said, if the weather is good enough for you to get out then fish will be around the rigs to greet you. The best starter rigs are the Mayan Princess rigs or the Mustang Island state park rigs. Both locations offer several rigs to fish and plenty of action. If one rig doesn't hold fish just move to the next and you'll find them.
Volkswatson

Post by Volkswatson »

Yup. What Prof says..

Watch out on this forum for folks doing trips. Def wanna go with a buddy when you can.
Volkswatson

Post by Volkswatson »

To answer one question, if going to Mayan Rigs:

Turn on Beach access #2
To beach marker 80
That’s where most yakers hang out.
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Volkswatson wrote:To answer one question, if going to Mayan Rigs:

Turn on Beach access #2
To beach marker 80
That’s where most yakers hang out.
Thank you Prof Salt and Volkswatson. I posted here and on the fb page and it sure seems the fb page is more active.

I'm bringing both of my yaks and my fishing buddy. We are both new to this beach access. We are well prepared. Just hope we can get down there at the right time (4 hours trip).

I know there's some big BTB meet up but I really don't want to get too distracted. I think if I was a local and go more frequently then it would be a good time to meet folks.

There's a guy how replied from SA saying he's new too and wouldn't mind tagging along. It's not that I don't mind, but it's sort of like the blind leading the blind.

Finally, can you help me pin-point this marker 80? I've attached an image below.

Thank you,
Roy
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

The beach markers don't show on Google or other maps, but they are markings along the beach on posts beside the dune line. When you turn onto the sand at Access road 2, take a left and you'll start seeing the post markers. It's about a mile and a half if I remember correctly to marker 80. That happens to be the spot where it's a straight shot to get to the first rig. Access road 2 is South of Port Aransas, close to the fire station.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

niswanger wrote:Finally, can you help me pin-point this marker 80? I've attached an image below.

Thank you,
Roy
Here's a Google Map with the Mile markers on it for Mustang and Northern Padre Island: https://beachmarkers.com/portaransasbeachmarkermap.html
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Neumie wrote:
niswanger wrote:Finally, can you help me pin-point this marker 80? I've attached an image below.

Thank you,
Roy
Here's a Google Map with the Mile markers on it for Mustang and Northern Padre Island: https://beachmarkers.com/portaransasbeachmarkermap.html
Thank you Neumie, now I have some starting points and I don't have to run in circles. The Heart mark is Marker 80, you can see as Prof Salt said straight off shore about 2 miles is the first rig. And the two stars just south are the beach entrance.

Thank you,
Roy
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

niswanger wrote:Hello TKF'ers :)

Two questions, in the form of a video below. When would your recommend BTB for the time-frame of June 15 to July 31 and where exactly, which area (question detailed in below video):

Thank you,
Roy

I saw your video and sent you a PM. Hit me up anytime. :)
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Thank you,
Roy
Great Video, where did you find the transparency for the rigs and other navigational points? Sorry to answer two questions with a question, I have been trying to find the rigs for a few years and have already signed up for the June 6th trip, and plan to go the following Sunday if needed.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Kalait wrote:

Thank you,
Roy
Great Video, where did you find the transparency for the rigs and other navigational points? Sorry to answer two questions with a question, I have been trying to find the rigs for a few years and have already signed up for the June 6th trip, and plan to go the following Sunday if needed.
Here's a post I made awhile back showing how to overlay the nautical charts: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 1&t=251132
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Neumie,

I'm charting weather patterns (temp/percip/wind) along with lunar cycles and would finally like to tie it together with historical sea states (seas 1', 2', 3' etc.) but I can't find this historical data. Even NOAA buoys don't seem to have this "sea state" data. So far my data analysis is distilling some amount of prediction of when to travel 4 hours to the coast for a BTB trip but I feel the sea state data is the last piece of the puzzle.

Also, in general, what's the current like? Do the tides pull current up and and down the coast evenly or do the predominantly pull one direction?

Thanks,
Roy
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

All great info in here from the BTB experts.
I live in Cypress and I plan by looking at the weather in advance. Then I check the tides and see when they are up or down. The tides do not really effect you going to the rigs for me. Once I have a day to go I will drive 3.5 hours early in morning and park on beach. Make sure you buy a beach parking pass from any Stripes store. You can spend the night on the beach with the parking pass as well if you don't want to drive so long before you put in.
I can fish from sunup to when I am ready to return usually about 3-4 pm.
You cannot miss the markers on the beach next to the sand dunes.
I am not too tired when returning home following my plan usually.
Look forward to seeing you out there! I've seen more TKF people there than anywhere around here.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Agreed with all replies.
Cannot wait for a Weather break Window to enjoy the first BTB trip this Year.
CC folks, please post report if you go out and let us know when the kings return. Thank you very much.