Port Aransas 7/10/2020 & 7/11/2020 – Ocean Kayak – Trident 13 Angler Maiden Voyage

TexasDrew

Port Aransas 7/10/2020 & 7/11/2020 – Ocean Kayak – Trident 13 Angler Maiden Voyage

Post by TexasDrew »

I’m new to ocean kayaking and I took my new Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler off the beach in Port Aransas (near Casa Condominiums/mile marker 39) on it's maiden Voyage 7/10/2020. The wave report at https://www.surf-forecast. com reported 3-4 foot waves. Here is my observation:
- Kayak handled the waves OK
- Adjustable Foot brace (red latch on the right side) BROKE when I needed it most!?! The Red adjustment latch appears poorly made, designed and disconnected many times until it finally dislodged completely allowing the foot pedal to slide out of the track and on the floor of the kayak; I was able to save the foot brace (peg) from floating off but the red latch arm is gone…
- It flipped a few times and was unstable but again there were the 4 foot waves on the beach/breakers and it was my first time.
- The bow and cockpit hatches leaked a little but only a total of about three cups of water (cumulatively) managed to get into the cockpit and bow hatch but again there were some 3-4 foot waves crashing right on top of it.
Once I got out past the breakers (about a mile) it was smoother but you still had to watch out for large swells and the Drift Sock (anchor) was a must.
I took it out again on Saturday 7/11/2020 with around 3 foot waves reported, much easier, didn’t flip on the way in.
In general was fast but a little unstable in swells of 3-5 feet, perhaps experience will help. The map below shows my route about 1.5 miles off shore and the broken latch.
Attachments
Foot Brace Latch.png
Kayak Route.PNG
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Port Aransas 7/10/2020 & 7/11/2020 – Ocean Kayak – Trident 13 Angler Maiden Voyage

Post by kickingback »

Hard core learning! Way to go. Look at the weather channels and get tide forecasts to help you go out easier and with rods and gear. I only go if the forecast is for 0-2 foot waves breaking at shore. Much easier to not get swamped and turned over and lose your gear. Watch the sets and plan your outing before just getting into the yak and take off. The sets get openings if you watch them. And launch where there is less wave action which is usually deeper areas to get out.
Hope to see you offshore someday! I hit Corpus each year and fish the rigs down there.
Last edited by kickingback on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TexasDrew

Re: Port Aransas 7/10/2020 & 7/11/2020 – Ocean Kayak – Trident 13 Angler Maiden Voyage

Post by TexasDrew »

kickingback wrote:Hard core learning! Wat to go. Look at the weather channels and get tide forecasts to help you go out easier and with rods and gear. I only go if the forecast is for 0-2 foot waves breaking at shore. Much easier to not get swamped and turned over and lose your gear. Watch the sets and plan your outing before just getting into the yak and take off. The sets get openings if you watch them. And launch where there is less wave action which is usually deeper areas to get out.
Hope to see you offshore someday! I hit Corpus each year and fish the rigs down there.
Thanks Kickingback, yes I was already renting a house on the beach with a ton of people and thought I would use the opportunity to try out something new. Thanks again for the great advice on tracking tides (never thought to use the weather channel.com), I look forward to joining the next kayak armada going out to the rigs. Also, not sure if anyone else has come upon the "Dredge Buoy" (per the USCG) that is just offshore at that location.