King?

rattlesnake68

King?

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Good evening all. Does anyone know if the King Mackerel are still around the Surfside, Tx area. I was planning on coming down to Corpus early next week, but the conditions look WAY better at Surfside. I plan on taking my mom out on her first King Mackerel trip in my Hobie TI. I'm 51 and I really didn't want to smash her through some surf. Lol
Killerbee

Re: King?

Post by Killerbee »

There were some around pins last weekend still but surfside is a long ways from there. Sorry I am no help man.
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Thanks anyways. Just like the surf reports our plans change just a quickly. I'm pushing my trip off until later in the week and it looks like my Dad will be going with me instead of Mom. I'm hopeful that I can hit the Corpus area for Kings, but if the surf condition are too questionable then I'll hit Surfside and take on some Spanish Mackerel. I like eating them more than the Kings anyways. I just need to get in the salt.
YakMack

Post by YakMack »

Looking at the Bouy data, water is 84 F at surfside jetties. Another bouy further out and NE has temps at 78 F. I've caught Kings in 72 F down at PINS. So, for water temps, I'd say they are still around surfside. Not sure of the water clarity though. We plan to head to Matagorda tomorrow. Seas were calm today and we hope they hold up for tomorrow. Good luck!
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

That's a bit of good news I didn't know about. Thank you , I wasn't sure what temp made them turn tail and head south. Wednesday through Friday are looking really good. Thursday the winds are a little on the light side for my liking. I'll be on a Hobie TI. Thanks for the Information.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

North winds coming hard on Monday, sort of shuts things down offshore.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Kingfish usually hang around until after the Anchovy run winds down. After that, kings are usually hit-or-miss, with chances getting better as you move farther South. I have not seen any reports yet of the run kicking off, so kings should be around.
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Thanks Glenn. I just booked a motel not far from BHP. Looks like the game plan is a quick evening trip to the MPR Wednesday evening after checking in, Thursday will be the PINS a good part of the day, and Friday morning maybe the backwaters north of Packery Channel boat ramp for some flounder, trout and red fish. I've never fished the backwaters and Dad loves catching those three. I'll be sliding across the water in a Hobie Tandem Island if anyone is out cruising the beach. I'll post up a report when I get back.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Good luck! If the tide is dropping on the back side of Packery be sure to work those drains along the edge of the channel. All three of your target species hang around there to eat small fish swept out with the tide.