Port Mansfield Jetties?

Tagdog

Port Mansfield Jetties?

Post by Tagdog »

My wife and I are going to SPI this Mid October. She said I could take the kayak and we might drive the 20 miles north to the Port Mansfield Jetties. I have never fished there. Any advice would be great. I am guessing Reds, Trout and Spanish will be hanging around. What about Kings? Should I troll a Ribbon? Throw lures? Drop Cut bait to the bottom? All the above?
Any type of artificial bait that that works well? Hopefully we will have good weather and small breaks.

Thanks
YakMack

Re: Port Mansfield Jetties?

Post by YakMack »

Kings and Smacks should still be there. You can do a variety of things depending on weather/seas and what you are targeting. I would bring a wide variety of things to increase your opportunities in case you get down there (up there from SPI) and the seas are crap. If you find a reef off shore, there might be some snapper and grouper, depending where you go. You can also surf fish for trout, reds and pompano - from the shore or from your kayak. I think the anchovies move around that time, too?

Here's an article on the pompano:
https://www.texassaltwaterfishingmagazi ... da-pompano

Good luck.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I've caught many kings and many more smacks bobbing off the South Padre jetties in November.
The schools of smacks do a sine-wave through the full water column.
We caught kings sipping anchovies, small matching lures and even flies six feet below the boat.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Before you head down there, you should be aware:

PARK CLOSURES
Mansfield Channel Dredging Operation Construction Zone Closed Last 1/2 Mile of South Beach
US Army Corps of Engineers will be pipeline dredging Mansfield Channel beginning Oct. 1, 2020. The beach construction zone will be closed from mile marker 59.5 south to the channel during dredging. The project is expected to last until March 2021.

https://www.nps.gov/pais/index.htm

Looks like you might be coming up from the south side, so not in the park, but there might be activity and closures on that side also.

Might also mess with water clarity, etc...