Slabs at Bolivar

Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Slabs at Bolivar

Post by Wolfman57 »

BigFost and I hit the slabs this week. Got a good clip of bull reds schooling and boiling bait on the surface. Check out 2:30 on the video it was pretty cool. This school would travel quick but work up and down the beach. I pitched a bait in and immediate hook up.

Epic fishing trip at 8 reds and 9 or 10 sharks.

WM
https://youtu.be/oQ6fI6JJZXA
mwatson71

Re: Slabs at Bolivar

Post by mwatson71 »

Man that looked like a great trip and some awesome conditions. I have never caught that many sharks in a single outing. Thanks for the report.
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

I need to get back out there soon. I was waiting to complete my van (to avoid sleeping with the skeeters) but now it's done and I have no excuse.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Weather looks like it’ll be messed up with the waves for a week or so. But the reds are spawning.

WM
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

Look forward to seeing you out there again Boomy. Been a long time.

Watson, the sharks have been thick the last few summers. It hasn't been unusual for an experienced person to catch them until you're worn out. There have been some monsters, too. I battled an 8ft blacktip for over an hour a couple of weeks ago. He towed me 2 miles from where I hooked him. Wolfman and others stayed in touch via radio so I didn't feel all alone out there.
mrkm1010
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mrkm1010 »

Have any of y'all fished the Sabine Pass marsh areas much. Do you guys post up when you're hitting Slabs. I came out of retirement again and working at Academy in the fishing department. Fun job but I usually only get off on weekdays.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Man I have to come on yalls next trip! Tired of setting on the sidelines! Great video Wolfman!
impulse

Post by impulse »

FYI for the weekend... Around Sea Isle in Galveston, the Gulf water still looks great to the beach, though the surf is 1-3'. Day before yesterday saw a huge commotion about 1/4 mile offshore- looked like a school of something, but I wasn't close enough to see what they were. It was too close to dusk to pedal home and come back with my kayak. Coup'la buddies fishing Isla del Sol claimed to be tearing up the trout in the surf.

If I didn't have other commitments, I'd be hauling the kayak down to the Sea Isle beach this evening. If the weather holds overnight, I'll probably try the surf or slightly BTB tomorrow first thing. I was going to go this morning, but we were having a much needed rain/lightning/thunder storm.

Catching lots of smaller trout in the canal lights at night, with a keeper thrown in every 4 or 5 fish. I'd suggest live shrimp if you're serious, but I throw a tiny plastic minnow on a fly rod off the docks and do okay. As usual this time of year, the best fishing is at the bay end of the canal, or just out into the bay if someone's got their lights on.

Caveat... Do keep an eye on the weather. It could go south in a hurry. Edit: And we got over 4" of rain this week, so I don't know if that will affect the bay or canals. I caught a few trout last night (Thursday) after the first rain (2.5" of rain), but who knows after last night's downpour.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Wow. That’s some nice local intel