King? Report

rattlesnake68

King? Report

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Hello everyone. I was just wondering if the King Mackerel are still in the area? I'm taking my sister on her first King Mackerel fishing trip. We will be starting our road trip from Oklahoma on Sunday to Corpus, head offshore on Monday. I would like to try the helipad area, but if the surf is too rough then I'll go out through Packery Channel and head for the MP rigs. We will be in my Hobie TI sailing kayak so we will be moving fast if the wind is in our favor.
Yakety_Yak

Re: King? Report

Post by Yakety_Yak »

rattlesnake68 wrote:Hello everyone. I was just wondering if the King Mackerel are still in the area? I'm taking my sister on her first King Mackerel fishing trip. We will be starting our road trip from Oklahoma on Sunday to Corpus, head offshore on Monday. I would like to try the helipad area, but if the surf is too rough then I'll go out through Packery Channel and head for the MP rigs. We will be in my Hobie TI sailing kayak so we will be moving fast if the wind is in our favor.

Unfortunately, the offshore fishing is done for this year (unless you want to try your luck on bull reds and reef species). There is always a chance that you catch a straggler but more than likely, things are done this season for offshore.
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

The sea conditions just keep getting worse, so we are currently adjusting our time frame. Looks like we will be driving down there on Friday and go offshore Saturday. 10 hour drive and a long ways to go for a day of fishing, but it is what it is.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Kings are still here, but are few and scattered.

I fished down PINS for the last 3 days. Weather, surf, water, all brilliant conditions. Doesn't get much better than we had last few days.

Water temp was 84.5.

Caught a lot of nice sized snapper and a fair amount of kings and some spanish. All on artificials.

The big bait migration is over, so didn't see any bait balls or crazy bird action anywhere. Just a few straggler pelagics over structure. All kings were medium to small sized.

Hope you were able to come down and take advantage of the conditions.

rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Well we did make it down, just had to do a last minute schedule change and come down on a Friday Saturday due to flat sea conditions on those days and it going to pot on the early part of the following week . Friday evening my sister and I had about 2.5 hours to kill before sunset so we went out to the MP rigs trolling. Didn't get a bite. Spade fish were coming to the surface with their back out of the water a couple of inches. Not sure what that was all about, anyone know? The next morning we bought some mullet and ribbon fish and headed out to the helipad and pipe stem. Again spade fish were raising their backs out of the water. No kings at all, I did hook a cobia for a short time trolling out to the pipe stem. He wasn't all that big so I wasn't too upset. A kayaker that had been running shark bait out decided to paddle out to the helipad and ended up capsizing. We slid the Hobie TI up to him and had him transfer his gear over to us and out of his hands. He was then able to get the kayak back upright and after collecting his pole and paddle he was off headed for shore. We grew tired of trolling around so we use my rig hook to sit still for a while and took the ribbon fish rigs off. With cut bait I was able to pull up a keeper trigger fish and through shear determination and doggedness my sister and I were able to bring up three keeper snapper. My sister is obviously a more serious fisherperson than I. LOL. A few guides with $80,000 plus vessels came out with their clients and plugged lures a few times before heading out on the horizon. I've always wondered what clients think when they are on a huge guide vessel capable of traveling far offshore and their guide brings them to a place where a couple of okies are at in a kayak. Glad I didn't spend that money.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Yeah, I always shake my head when nice boats pull up to fish the same spot I'm in my kayak only 3-4 miles offshore. All those available spots further out and they go to the closest they can find to shore.

Spadefish popping fins out of the water is pretty common for them, in my experience.

impulse

Post by impulse »

Endo wrote:Yeah, I always shake my head when nice boats pull up to fish the same spot I'm in my kayak only 3-4 miles offshore. All those available spots further out and they go to the closest they can find to shore.
I don't know about you, but I've occasionally felt like an idiot when I went far afield, fished all day, then found out the fish were right near the ramp and I missed out. We used to call that Evinruding...

The extra $89,500 for that $90,000 boat instead of a $500 kayak is for the days when they aren't in range of an old fart with a paddle. Personally, if that's what it costs to get to the fish, I'll find something else to spend my time and money on. But to each his own. I wear $15 Casio watches, too.