BTB LEADERS

Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: BTB LEADERS

Post by Mythman »

zovath wrote:So i got all of my stuff for the leaders and made about 30 and one problem i am having so far is rigidness in the 200lb mono, First part is where i connected the hook, it seems like the hook gets wedged and kind of caught, us not free hanging, solutions? Second is the leader, about 3-4ft, keeps its memory from the spool and stays slinky like, not hanging straight even with a large piece of cut mullet on it. Is this even a problem and if so, solution?

Last problem, for now..... With e 14size hooks, going for bull reds, i made some with the barb smashed so it was easier to unhook, but it seemed like the cut mullet and bait in general slipped off easily, didnt seem to do the same with the barb, worth it or solutions? Thanks again for the help
You may be making your loop on the hook to small or tight..........make it larger and the hook will be more free.

Never encountered the problem of 200 lb mono having memory. Most of my mono leaders are in 8 inch loops.

With your hook barbs removed, you got to hook your bait, just right. Run the hook through the thickest part of the back meat and make sure your hook point is well exposed. You will still loose some to slimers.................for the life of me I do not know how those pesky fish can get the bait off, with out a single click! :x
MONSTER
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by MONSTER »

Make your loops a little bit bigger, especially on the hook. The hook should be able to move freely and easily.

I recommned you don't make too many leaders at once, especially while you're still learning. You will improve your technique with time, but you'll be stuck with leaders you made before, or you'll spend more money buying more leader material. I've done it time and time again.
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

zovath wrote:So i got all of my stuff for the leaders and made about 30 and one problem i am having so far is rigidness in the 200lb mono, First part is where i connected the hook, it seems like the hook gets wedged and kind of caught, us not free hanging, solutions? Second is the leader, about 3-4ft, keeps its memory from the spool and stays slinky like, not hanging straight even with a large piece of cut mullet on it. Is this even a problem and if so, solution?

Last problem, for now..... With e 14size hooks, going for bull reds, i made some with the barb smashed so it was easier to unhook, but it seemed like the cut mullet and bait in general slipped off easily, didnt seem to do the same with the barb, worth it or solutions? Thanks again for the help
Don't worry about the kinky line, the current and / or weight of the bait will straighten enough.

In regards to the barbless hook and keeping your bait attached -- don't grind the barb completely down, leave a dull hump that will help keep the bait on. This is really only an issue when using Crab halves during the fall and winter months.
alwaysstuck

Post by alwaysstuck »

Do you have a picture of one of your leaders? i have a mental picture in my head but i dont know if it is what you are referring to actually. thanks for the help everyone!
Mythman wrote:

You may be making your loop on the hook to small or tight..........make it larger and the hook will be more free.

Never encountered the problem of 200 lb mono having memory. Most of my mono leaders are in 8 inch loops.

With your hook barbs removed, you got to hook your bait, just right. Run the hook through the thickest part of the back meat and make sure your hook point is well exposed. You will still loose some to slimers.................for the life of me I do not know how those pesky fish can get the bait off, with out a single click! :x
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

[quote="zovath"]Do you have a picture of one of your leaders? i have a mental picture in my head but i dont know if it is what you are referring to actually. thanks for the help everyone!

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

Should I grind the barb down on my hook a little or is that only preferred for shark fishing in attempt to retrieve your hook? I am using circle hooks so hopefully the hook stays near the corner of the mouth.
mmmooretx

Post by mmmooretx »

Got a bunch made with 14/0, biggest I could find, now anxious to try....
Razzorduck

Post by Razzorduck »

txp35 wrote:Should I grind the barb down on my hook a little or is that only preferred for shark fishing in attempt to retrieve your hook? I am using circle hooks so hopefully the hook stays near the corner of the mouth.
I go barbless for all my fishing these days. Easier on the fish and easier on me. I can't think of the last time I lost a fish while barbless. Only time I will have a barb is when fishing live baitfish or for violent jumpers like tarpon. Once I get a money shot of a tarpon/kayak I'll give them a break as well.
ripit
Location: DFW-Tarpon 160, Hobie AI x 2, PA12, ECC Lostman Scooter

Post by ripit »

Hey Razzorduck, are you back in working order now? I hope all went well with your issues with the Doc.
Razzorduck

Post by Razzorduck »

Hey Ripit, feeling much better and can start yaking again next week.
Thanks for asking.
diver388

Post by diver388 »

well after a few tips from reading this post. i decide to jump on making me a few leaders. which i have never done before.. Luckily due to my job im pretty handy when tying knots. thought id see what you fellas think!

dont critize me to much first time messing with leader wire and doing a haywire twist.
also got my first experience how easy it is to shove in your thumb.. ouch :( lol

King fish leader

115# Swivel to
2ft 58# stainless steel wire to
12/0 Mustad circle hook to
6" trailer wire to
3/0 4x strong treble trailer!
Attachments
kingfish rig.JPG
kingfish rig.JPG (12.36 KiB) Viewed 76305 times
Razzorduck

Post by Razzorduck »

Hey diver, good job on that leader. I suggest going with a short shank #1 or 1/0 live bait hook up front and a #4 4x treble. Course may be varied depending on bait size. I use a 2/o bait hook with hardtail size baits.
diver388

Post by diver388 »

Thnks bud. Yeah figured I'd go somewhere in the middle on hook size. I've always been big on using circle hooks. That's why I went with that. Those sizes seem like they would be right for bait size we plan on using. Mullet, ribbon fish.
Pinfish I usually just free line with a decent size circle or octopus hook through the dorsal. With a wire or fluorocarbon leader
cbump

Post by cbump »

Anyone wanna sell any leaders similar to the ones in the first post and some for sharks?

PM me if so.
Newf88

Post by Newf88 »

I made some leaders tonight for the first time, 4' and 6' long 200lb mono. I put 7/0 circle hooks on two and 14/0 circle hooks on two.

I put a swivel on the end that I will tie my braid onto with a improved clinch knot.
Is there any problem using this knot with braid, or should I use something different?
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

I don't know knots so can't answer that question, I got 2 or 3 that work for me in different situations and just tie them, never really bothered with names. But what I would recommend is to take a pair of nail clippers and clip off the tag end of line hanging out of the crimps, they can actually be pretty sharp when a fish is flopping on the end of that line and you are trying to remove the hook from it's mouth and one less thing to tangle if your leader/line loops on itself.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

Whatever knot you use, be careful with braid..............be sure and wet the knot for top holding power. Braid is notorious for not holding unless wetted.
SharkBait >*)\\\><(
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by SharkBait >*)\\\><( »

Fish-N-Fool knot
it's a variation of an improved clinch knot...and all i tie with braid...(may still be the winner of knot wars)

http://www.fishingclub.com/video-tv2/ar ... -v-palomar

burn your tag end on braid...braid fails by slipping through the knot, by burning it you can save yourself from most unexpected break offs
fishinmachine

Post by fishinmachine »

Newf88 wrote:I put a swivel on the end that I will tie my braid onto with a improved clinch knot.
Is there any problem using this knot with braid, or should I use something different?
Newf88, the improved clinch knot is a very strong knot for mono and easy to tie, but it will not hold well with any size braided line. A better choice would be a Uni, a Palomar, or maybe the Fish-n-Fool knot. The latter looks like a good knot, but I haven't tied one yet. The first two are strong knots with braid.

FM
brian1570

Post by brian1570 »

cooked up a batch of leaders tonight to try with my new surf rod. going to be fishing tx city and jamaica beach this week and next.

using 1-2 oz weight on bottom and 6/0 to 7/0 circles in the middle and will be putting a barrel swivel up top. leaders are about 4' long and held together cinch knots and sleeve crimps all on 80lb mono going to 65lb braid.
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

Looks good, but with any current, you'd be better off using spider weights, those pyramids and bank sinkers will just roll on the bottom.
brian1570

Post by brian1570 »

brian1570 wrote:cooked up a batch of leaders tonight to try with my new surf rod. going to be fishing tx city and jamaica beach this week and next.

using 1-2 oz weight on bottom and 6/0 to 7/0 circles in the middle and will be putting a barrel swivel up top. leaders are about 4' long and held together cinch knots and sleeve crimps all on 80lb mono going to 65lb braid.
they didn't have any so i might just make my own.
fishing-guru

Post by fishing-guru »

For reds and sharks how does a carolina rig work?
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

fishing-guru wrote:For reds and sharks how does a carolina rig work?
I've only used Carolina Rigs for Bull Reds and Sharks fishing areas subject to tidal currents and deeper depths. The slip weight keeps the bait on the bottom assuming you have enough lead for the current. Fish weightless along the beachfront.
BigSerg10

Post by BigSerg10 »

What kind of crimpers should I look for for making shark leaders any help pls