since I lost my rod and reel in the surf yesterday

playsitright

since I lost my rod and reel in the surf yesterday

Post by playsitright »

any pointers on a good set up for BTB? I also got a fishndive yesterday and would like to fish past where all the waves start about 50-60 yards from the beach (never done this before). I have always waded as far out as I could and cast out then walked back in. would just a reg ol 7 foot pole and a baitcast work? didn't know since the water will be a little deeper and hopefully some bigger fish. any pointers and hints will be great thanks
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

Here's my setup. There are any number of discussion about rods and reels on this board.

playsitright

Post by playsitright »

:shock: what size is that shark? and how far off the beach were you? ive never caught a shark hopefully ill get one this year
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

Those were actually two different sharks, both around 6' and both caught around 3/4 mile off the beach.
redhead
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redhead »

DO NOT GO BY YOURSELF
DO NOT GO BY YOURSELF
DO NOT GO BY YOURSELF

WEAR A PFD

JUST BRING WHAT YOU NEED

TRY TO GO WITH SOMEONE THAT HAS DONE THIS BEFORE
redhead
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redhead »

playsitright

Post by playsitright »

redhead wrote:If you have chance check this out
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... hp?t=76743
yeah i plan on doing that on the 20th cant wait :D
MikeSSS

Post by MikeSSS »

I've only been out two trips but here's more or less what I've seen.

Line is 25 lb, 20 on up I guess. Berkely Big Game line comes in 25 lb. Level wind reels are not needed and they are subject to more problems and need more attention when used in salt water. You don't have to cast far from the kayak and you don't need hundreds of yards of line because the fish tows the yak. For the same reason, the sleigh ride, you don't need super drag. A clicker is good, it's fun to hear the fish take off with the bait. Cast out, don't set the drag, just turn on the clicker. When the fish is clicking off line for a second or two.... turn on the drag and start reeling, then cast off from the anchor line. You can turn off the clicker at this point if you want. Fish on...game on...sleigh ride on!!! A 7' pole is used so the line can be guided around the bow and stern when the fish goes under the yak or around it.

Fishing is from about 150 to 600 yards out, with the kayak hanging from the anchor line. The line needs a float so you can find it after turning the fish loose. A 2.2 lb Bruce style anchor from West Marine is a good choice. I use 2' of chain between my anchor and the hollow, plastic 3/8" floating line. Some bungie is used between the anchor line and the yak. Quick release at the yak is by bronze double end snap links. I use a loop of para cord on one of the yak's eyes back by the front of the tank well. The para cord makes it easier to cast off and easier to reattach the anchor line.

There are lots of Abu Garcia reels used, they have level wind and some don't have clickers. The 6500 C3 and the 7000 C3i come to mind, both have clickers. Academy has the 7000 C3i for $99, it's made in China not Sweden.

I used a Daiwa Sealine X30SHA and a X50SHA, they worked great. These reels don't have level wind but the line seems to 'level wind' anyway. They have a sealed drag so salt water doesn't get into the drag. Penn's GS series, 545GS, 555GS, etc. are very much like the Sealine X SHA reels. Any reel, that will work well with 25 lb line, should be OK, if it has a clicker that would be excellent. Fast gearing is a big plus for when a Bull Red runs toward the kayak, SHA's have 6:1 gearing. SHA's cost $119 at BassPro and $109 at Cabelas.

I use a 7' Ugly Stick Tiger Medium action and an Ugly Stick Custom 7' Medium. Both are rated for 50 lb line and both flex enough to keep tension on the fish easily. Ugly Stick Catfish white rods are said to work just fine and cost less. Any rod that is long enough and rated for 30 lb line should work well.

Hooks are 16/0 Mustad circle hooks. I mash the barb down to make it easy to get the hook out of me and out of the fish. Leader is 4' of 275 lb plastic coated stainless steel from BassPro. One end goes on the hook, the other end on a 4/0, 375 lb swivel, the swivel ties to the line. Crimp ferrules are 1.9mm, double barreled, made for 300 lb mono.

A half mullet works well on the hook, heads work better than tails. Joe's Crabs in Port Bolivar has 11" frozen mullet, 4 for $4. Fresh and bleeding, cast netted mullet work better.

Words and pictures can't do justice to the fish stripping line out, you reeling him 'in', the fish towing the yak around in circles, the power and endurance of the fish, his fighting spirit, his 'thumping' grunts when 'landed' and all that stuff. You are going to LOVE it.

Warning, paddling out through the surf and back in through it, feeling the fish take the line, closing the drag and reeling, the sleigh ride, landing the fish, being out there with the other yak fishermen and all that ........just fills up the mind....you will be able to see it in your imagination....and not see much else either. I may not be able to remember where I left my car but I can't forget the power of the fish as I watch the bent rod spinning the Drifter around.

You have been warned.

There is only BTB fishing and waiting for BTB fishing.