Newbie from DFW wants to go BTB!

Berzerk

Newbie from DFW wants to go BTB!

Post by Berzerk »

Hey, I'm looking at making a trip to HI this weekend 10/13. From other post I've read, it looks like Rollover Pass is good fishing in Oct'. Maybe start around there and then headover to HI. What area of the beach would be ideal to launch from?(ie. GPS coor. or land marks). Are parking permits required on the beach? Also, I was wondering if any seasoned pros would be out to give a few pointers and good advice to go BTB this weekend.
Last edited by Berzerk on Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

good chance there will be a group fishing the High Isladn area. I know I will be down sunday, but may have to work saturday.

Watch for the post, I am sure somone will get them going as we get closer to the weekend.
Berzerk

Post by Berzerk »

Thanks for the response. I've read about the session your putting on 10/20, unfortunately I can't make that one. Hope you will do another one around the first of the year or early spring.
MikeSSS

Post by MikeSSS »

Hwy from Winnie to High Island ends at Hwy 87, go right on 87.

From the point where the road turns on to hwy 87 it is 2.2 miles to the beach access cut, it will be on your left. You will pass a pier and some RV's on the left, then pass a cell tower on the right, there is a short breaker box pole or something on the right opposite the beach access cut.

People get stuck after going through the access cut so watch out for soft sand.

First time I went the yakkers turned right on the beach and drove about a mile down the beach. Second time we just yakked out about 50 yards right of the access cut.

29.5361*N and -94.4233*W are the Google Earth coordinates for the beach access cut, they might not agree with GPS coords.

Don't know of beach parking permits but there might be.

I've spent the night sleeping/fishing at Rollover Pass twice. Saw a lot of fishing but no catching there. Volyak said he cast netted plenty of mullet at Rollover, near the bay side, at night.

The bait place in Winnie is just past the third red light (there are only 3), on the right, on hwy 124, on the way to High Island. Mullet were 4 for $6 the other day. If you're not sure it's the right place then it probably is the right place.

A good bait place is Joe's in Port Bolivar on Nelson ave. Joe's is a 24 mile drive from the beach access cut and 24 back. Mullet were 4 for $4 last saturday.

Fishing has been good at HI in the afternoon for me.

The photos posted are great but pics just can't capture the hook-up, sleigh-ride and landing the fish. Words fail here too.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

No beach parking permits needed for the above location, which is referred to as "between the piers".

However, should you go West of the most West pier (Old Dirty Pelican Pier- not operating and has an old house on it)......you will need a beach parking permit.

If the weather is decent, a chance I might be there Sat.
Berzerk

Post by Berzerk »

Thanks for all the great info. Hope to see ya on the water!