2009 TKFBBR (Boat Builder Roundup) Recap

gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

2009 TKFBBR (Boat Builder Roundup) Recap

Post by gerald »

Ok...the 2009 Boat Builder Roundup is in the books and was a great success. Next year we'll have even more time to prepare and plan. I want to move the Roundup around each year to allow more people easier access to this great gathering. Right now I'm leaning toward some place in east or southeast Texas for 2010. I will leave this thread up for awhile. Later on I'll start a new one for next year's Roundup.
Thanks to everybody.

Since we now have a Boat Builder Forum I'm adding this post. The Boat Builder Roundup will be at Inks Lake on, Saturday, May 16. The actual gathering of boats, builders, owners, and interested people will be from 10:00am until 12:00 noon at the day use area. Many people will be spending the entire weekend, but during those two hours you should be able to get a close up look at some of the boats and, certainly in my case, try some out. This will be a new gathering that I'm seriously considering make an annual event--especially since we now have this great new forum.

The original link started on the freshwater forum:

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 2&t=115253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Come out, have some fun, get a look and a feel. This will be a very informal gathering this year...probably totally disorganized...
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Boat Builder Roundup--The TKFBBR--at Inks Lake

Post by gerald »

Ok! Just got word on the freshwater board that a couple of skerrys (skerries?) will be making it to the Roundup. One of them showed up at the Inks Lake Texas Kayak Builder's Bash back when we had it there. Great looking boat. You guys are in for a treat.
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

:?: Coat and tie are optional, right :?: :?: :lol: :lol:
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Very optional. I'll look like a broken down old man--but that will be a disguise...
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

By reading all the posts, it sounds as if everyone is excited. I know I am.
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

Thanx Gerald for putting this deal togeter. We really enjoyed meeting the guys and checking out the fine craftsmanship. I can now say that I have rubbed rain soaked elbows with the TKF upper crust. :D
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Despite the rain it was a great show with a variety of beautiful craft. Guess next year we should plan July so its not so cold! :D

Thanks to everyone who put it together.
TexasZeke

Post by TexasZeke »

I would have to deem the first event a success, a soggy success, but a success all the same. To those I got a chance to meet and visit with, it was great to finally meet you, to those that I missed, sorry but I had limited time to be there. Hopefully I'll get to meet the rest next time. There was a varied and wide selection of boats to be seen, and paddled during the breaks in the storm. I thought I had pics of all the boats that were there but after downloading them remembered, I took pics of all that were on the bank, put the camera up and went paddling myself. Then got to talking and forgot to take pictures of the ones I missed. Still kicking myself for that mistake, but I'm sure in the next few days somebody will post the rest.

I personally want to thank the organizers and everybody who showed up. We have some definite craftsmen on this site and I left the event with a lot of ideas

One other thing I wish I had gotten pictures of was Pogo's paddles. I couldn't get over how light they were. Pogo when you read this if possible please post up or send me some info or link on how to build one. Seems like it would be nothing to adapt it to a double blade and man that thing was light.

anyway, to all, thanks again
kevin
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

It was great to meet you also,Zeke. We need we get together and go fish sometime.
CoolfinIE

Post by CoolfinIE »

Unfortunately I am to distant to make it. However the photo gallery makes up for much.

Can somebody please identify for me the design of the first photo in zeke's post above? I'm looking to build something similar this year. Is it a Sabalo or Wadefish or another design?

Norm
cheapsk8
Location: Houston - In life as in baseball, it is the number of times you reach home safely that count.

Post by cheapsk8 »

CoolfinIE wrote:Unfortunately I am to distant to make it. However the photo gallery makes up for much.

Can somebody please identify for me the design of the first photo in zeke's post above? I'm looking to build something similar this year. Is it a Sabalo or Wadefish or another design?

Norm
here is a link to his build along for that boat. I believe he stated it was a Wadefish

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 87&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

CoolfinIE wrote:Unfortunately I am to distant to make it. However the photo gallery makes up for much.

Norm
:D There's also an additional recent thread, maybe 8-10 lines below this one, entitled "Wadefish Maiden Voyage" that gives you an idea of what it looks like n the water and the owner/builder's initial paddling thoughts. Sounds like a winner to me!! Enjoy!
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

There were other threads with more Roundup photos posted elsewhere on TKF; wonder if they can be reposted here, or links provided? -- Thanks!
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Pogo here is mine:

I had a great time amongst good people and am looking forward to next year. Thank You for putting this on Gerald. There is some great scenery in that park.

The morning started off nice but sone the weather detoriated. As we gathered the rain soon started and put us all back in our vehicles.

HirschHunter riding the strom out.

The rain finally settled down and everyone started gathering to meet and look all the boats over.

The weather did little to dampen everyone's spirits. Even though it was the first time for alot of us to meet face to face, it seemed as if this was a gathering of old friends. Seashell paddled her new boat and seemed to take right to it.

She also showed her Dad (Strider) how to paddle with a little race. (Sorry but I had to post this Kim) :D

It was nice to be able to a face with some names. ( if I screw any names up. I am Sorry)

L to R: Gerald, Pogo, Hirschhunter, rodloos, hannah

Pogo's new and nice canoe.

One of Geralds very nice creations

Another of gerald's great boats

And Seashells new Pirogue.

My tub

I had eagerly been anticipateing Strider's cooking skills all day, so when it was time to head over to Gerald's campsite I went with great enthusiasim. Sorry but I did not get a picture of the meal, but I was too busy eating it. After enjoying a great meal we all settled in around the fire to enjoy some conversation about building,paddling fishing and camping.

(L to R) Strider, Gerald, Pogo, Turner, Rodloos

You can take fisherman to a boat show, but you can't keep'em from fishing. Turner and Stider with a couple of nice Sunfish.

Seashell and Hannah seemed to hit it off pretty well and were gone exploring most of the time but keet us entertained while around. Those S'Mores can real messy.

All too soon it was time for everyone to start heading for their own camps a little shut eye. Seashell called this morning with a invite for breakfast Tacos. Here is Strider working his majic with Breakfast.

After a long Breakfast it was time to break camps and head for home. Hannah's boat (soon to be replaced with a wooden craft), Seashell's new boat and my old tub loaded for the ride South.

Again I had an extremely good time, despite the weather and I am eagerly looking forward to the next TKFBBR. Thanks again Gerald for sponsoring this event and this forum.

One more thing. Gerlad and I figured out what I am going to build for my daughter. Stay tuned.........