So i built my boat before this index was here, but glad to see this forum thread added in!
Sides put together here
Full rub rail install. Had to bend these both at the same time together because i tried one at a time and almost had disaster. Heard a crack, stopped bending, and went to inspect. Didnt see any significant damange, so i changed tactics and bent both towards an end at once and clamped them. Then did the other end.
Letting the glue dry on the bottom piece here. In hindsight, and from advice from others, ice chests with water and other such methods work well for gluing
Routing off the bottom excess here to get a nice flush edge.
The filet work here. I never could get my hands on "official" wood flour being in san diego, so i took a mix of my sanding sawdust (sanding down the rubrails made a finer dust than the rest of the stuff, so thats what i used) It still had chunks i had to pick through, and it would have been nice to have clean stuff but it was my first build and this worked just fine. I also tried another method, of using flour. Worked pretty well too. The flour filet was lighter in color and the sawdust was the darker brown, but i was painting the boat so it wasnt an issue. If you're keeping it varnish color, obviously the single color is the way to go.
Putting in the wood blocks for the inside rub rail. Could have done this a little different, as far as epoxying the insides first, then putting these on while the epoxy was drying, or something to that effect. Nevertheless, it worked how i did it.
Inside rub rails clamped on
Glassing the inside. Lesson learned here was to go up further. I tried doing a "first coat" type approach, just getting enough on there to hold it in place. Well, i only went up as high as can be seen in the picture and once the stuff dries, the cloth is kinda stupid around the edges and you just have to cut and sand it down. If i wanted the cloth to be up higher, i should have put epoxy all over as high as i wanted it to go on the first application.
Bottom glassed up, and i went a little higher up the sides in this instance. Boat was going to be painted so it didnt need to go all the way up to prevent a "line" from showing, but maybe next time.
Here she is a sittin there with some coats of epoxy on her
And the final product.....
Fun little boat to build and cool to have!