RBR

bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

RBR

Post by bowgarguide »

RBR
how about a report on how your foam boat is standing up ,any repair ,anything you would have done differently
Ron
RealBigReel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: RBR

Post by RealBigReel »

Sorry for the late answer. SANDY has been out several times and have let several people try it. It was out yesterday and an 11 year old scout collected 2 Sandies from it.
In spite of request to the contrary it has been run up on serious rocks and generally abused, but there as been no serious damage to date. It has seen the normal bottom scratches that any boat sees. As you can see from the original SANDY post I converted her to SOT and still kept her under 30 lbs with a high end seat. The area under the seat is hollow. I did not see any way water could get in there but it has. Should have learned that lesson with GAR. Had to drill a hole to get the water out. I think I need to redo the seat scupper. And the next kayak will be started later this year, and it will be a sheet Styrofoam SOT build, but will not have any hollow areas.
While I fish all sorts of water my fishing has evolved to handle bigger and rougher water so this next kayak will have a hull shape to handle waves better.
One thing I will do different on this next build is I will coat the hull with a soupy mix Epoxy/Microballoons and while still wet apply 4 oz cloth and then make sure it is thoroughly wetted with plain epoxy. Once that is cured I will sand and fill for a second layer of 4 oz. That will make for a tougher build. The bottom will get the epoxy/graphite treatment and the uppers will be coated to a smooth finish. Cockpit area will also get 2 layers of 4 oz. Of course areas of nominal abuse will get even more.
Rod holders will be open bottomed to avoid water stagnating in them same as SANDY
I am thinking now I want to paint this next one with a serious marine paint. The yellow paint on SANDY was a good quality exterior house paint but it has not held up well at all.
The seat will be hard back with a Thermarest Pad for a seat bottom like HYBRID. No more 200 dollar seats that are not all that comfortable.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: RBR

Post by bowgarguide »

Thanks RBR
That answers a lot of questions for me.
Ron