First build- TV 15/32 Strip, Stitch & Glue

Homegrown

First build- TV 15/32 Strip, Stitch & Glue

Post by Homegrown »

Got my plans from Matt back on the 7 th of this month and couldn't wait to get started. Was a slow start but it's coming along now. Got my plywood templates cut out and strips ripped up in a couple of nights after work. Started making my strip panels Wednesday night and am getting more anxious by the day to get it wet. I'm hoping to be able to stand up in this boat to fish/bowfish and it should hold more than enough weight for river camping trips. :dance: I'll try to get some pics up ASAP. Thanks again guys. HG
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: First build- TV 15/32 Strip, Stitch & Glue

Post by bowgarguide »

We will be waiting for the build :dance:
Ron
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Pics can be seen here… hopefully.
http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... s/?src=wap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone

Made a little more progress tonite until I ran out of glue. Back at it tomorrow.

HG
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Looking good. It wont be long and you'll be as addicted to building as the rest of us.
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Back in the shop tonite trying to get the rest of my strip panels glued up. If all goes well I will run them thru the planer tomorrow and drill stitch holes and start stitching her together. Sitting here now trying to decide how to make the tumble home panels. It's either use straight short pieces or try to make the bend with the long pieces and hope it keeps it's shape once it's all glued up. I'm thinking it would look better to make the long pieces follow the shape of the pattern but if it's gonna straighten itself back out and not fit the sides like it should then they will have to be re-made. Any suggestions? HG

http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... s/?src=wap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

If your using 1/4 by 3/4 strips they will hold there bend ,thats the way I build all my panels. The northwind had a bunch that were narrow and over 17 ft long they worked great.
Ron
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Thanks Ron. That's the way I did it and am about to pull the nails and see if it holds shape. One more panel to build and I'll be ready to stitch it together.

HG
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Well… it didn't hold like I hoped it would. When I got all of the temp nails out of it I didn't notice it trying to straighten out but came back out after lunch and some time in the pool with the kids and it had moved several inches on the table. Got it tacked back down where it goes and soaked it down with a rag. Will leave it like this for a few days I guess before I build the other side like it. Or just go ahead and build the other side the same way and let em sit until they behave like I need em to. ???? It's a learning experience for sure.

HG
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

What are you using for glue?
Ron
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Waterproof Titebond so far. And a leftover bottle of water resistant from Brazos Forest Products. Everything seems to be glued tight still and when I re-attached it to the table I hit the spots where it looked like it had shrunk and left voids with more glue. Just needs more time to cure fully I hope. Gonna hold off on building the other side until i know for sure whether or not it's gonna maintain it's shape. Too dang hot to be in the shop anyways. I'm getting back in the pool!

HG
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

that suprises me, having used this method for a number of arched panels without seeing this.

MM

[urlImage][/url]
Last edited by makenmend on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

I have used titebond 11 with no problem.
Ron
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

The TV and the strip panel S&G has had some real success on this forum. This one is already looking great.
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Thanks preacher. I went ahead and built the other tumble home panel like I did the first one and got em nailed to the table still. Prob gonna let em sit for a few days. Gotta run my sides thru the planer and start sanding on the bottom panels tonite. I didn't think of it at the time but my bottom panels are too wide to fit thru my planer. Should have left off a few strips, planed, and then finished stripping and could have saved a little time but, oh well. What's done is done and I'm not goin backwards unless I have to. Wanna get some use out of this boat this summer. May even get some holes drilled and get her partially stitched up. I'll throw up some pics later.

HG
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Well… I'm addicted. What can I say. Once you start you can't stop. I did take a few evenings off cuz of this heat. Hard to make yourself go back to work after all day in it. Got back to it tonite and got her partially stitched up. Hoping to finish up tomorrow and get to filleting. Here's a few more pics of the "Sarah Anne". Convincing my wife that this boat is for her hasn't been easy!

HG
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Looks good...check for level down the length of the boat before adding the little tack fillets...sure don't want a twist in the hull of that sweet looking boat...
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Thanks Awoodman. I've got it sittin on a level table- both ways- blocked up on 2x4's cuz the bow and stern are higher than the sides and it's sitting on the blocks everywhere. This should make it level shouldn't it? No easy way to put a level on the boat itself without having to measure up off the boat itself at each end???? Looking down the lines it seems to be pretty consistent and it stitched together easier than I expected. Any other ways to check it for twist? And has anyone ever used wood glue instead of epoxy for the fillet material? I can see how it would not dry as hard as the epoxy therefore making it harder to sand but if the seams were all taped off and I could do a clean job filling them then there wouldn't be much sanding to it. Just curious as I am now ready for the fillets. Another question I came up with was how to figure the location of the cockpit. Is there a recommended/ideal seating location in the boat? The bulkhead locations on this boat don't allow enough room for the cockpit to fit between them. Need to do more research I guess before I get to that point. Gonna try to weigh it today and get my glass/epoxy ordered. Can't wait to get this sucker wet!

http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... 20Uploads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HG
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Looking great! This will be a nice ride.
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Well.. you could flip it over and rest it on the sides and tack weld using an epoxy syringe...
And.... put pcs. of masking tape on the opposite side where ever you plan to tack it to prevent big sags of epoxy seeping through the joint..saves sanding...
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Homegrown wrote: Any other ways to check it for twist?HG
if your level fore and aft and side to side,just measure diagonley from corner of a couple of forms, if the measurements are equal then your good to go. stay with the epoxt fillets, the glue isn't flexible as is epoxy, tape off either side of your seams to keep things clean and remove while the goopie is still green.

Lookin real good.

MM
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

What do you guys use for fillet material with the epoxy? I was on the US Composites website earlier and looks like there are several choices but kinda confusing and I don't want to buy something that I don't need/want. Just use sanding dust from the palm sander or is there a better alternative? Thx

HG
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Wood powder from the collector bag on an orbital sander or belt sander...
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

awoodman wrote:Wood powder from the collector bag on an orbital sander or belt sander...

X2. plus if you time it right, when the fillets are almost cured, you can smooth them with a wetted finger and save hours of sanding,I do all my fillets in the mornings so I cam catch them at the right time and not loose any sleep. :wink:

MM
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Spent some dough tonight on a few rigging basics for the TV and waiting on my epoxy and glass to come in. Didn't want y'all to think I had given up! More pics to come soon.

HG
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Hadn't had much time to spend on the TV lately but still waiting on epoxy and glass anyways so guess its working itself out. I'm thinking on building a box to mount this seat to that will pin onto rails in different locations and be able to fold down and slide forward to accommodate standing. Will have to determine how tall to build it after paddling it first. The front deck will be the same shape as the bow and will be able to be removed completely. I will probably put another access hatch in the front bulkhead to be able to access my dry storage without having to remove the entire deck while on the water. I bought an anchor trolley kit also but don't know for sure yet that I will use it. Thinking on running some 1/4" PVC along the inside of the tumble home panels to the now and stern and using it to contain my anchor line. Just unsure about having all that rope running the length of the boat. Also want to build about a 10" wide bait box that will go directly behind the cockpit that will serve as bait well and a place to mount rod holders. The rear storage will house my battery boxes for lights and fish finder. Still got a lot of work to do but hoping to be paddling soon.

http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... 20Uploads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HG