First build- TV 15/32 Strip, Stitch & Glue

Homegrown

Re: First build- TV 15/32 Strip, Stitch & Glue

Post by Homegrown »

More progress…with pics.

http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... 20Uploads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HG
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Wow
Your doing a great job.
Ron
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Thanks Ron. I wasn't planning on building the decks like I did but I think they turned out ok. The cedar was some old aromatic closet liner that I've had sittin around for a few years. I wish that there would have been more of it that had both colors in each board like what is on the stern deck. I don't plan on cutting any hatches in these until I'm convinced that it is needed. The bow will remove completely and have an access in the bulkhead and the stern will be permanently attached with access thru the bulkhead as well. Prob gonna go ahead and use the anchor trolley kit as it seems to be the quickest and easiest way. Hoping to get my glass and epoxy this week and if so gonna do my best to get it on the water next wend.

HG
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

I was just sent confirmation of my order from US Composites and the total came to almost 300 bucks! Does that sound right? The plan says to expect to spend around 150. All I ordered was the 2 gallon epoxy kit, 12 yds of glass, and the pump kit for the epoxy. I don't have the price list in front of me but it just sounds higher than I was expecting.

HG
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Man, HG! That TV wil be a poster child when you're through. Great build.
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Thanks Preacher. I didn't want to build an "ugly" boat but my intent originally was to make a solid multi-use work horse that I wasn't gonna spend a lot of time trying to decorate to showroom quality and then be dragging across logs and gravel bars. What I've come to realize though is that I may only do this a hand full of times at most so why not spend a little extra effort and make it something you can be proud to show off. I just noticed on the email that UPS sent that my total package weight was 42 lbs. I hope not all of that winds up in my boat. The hull weighs around 20lbs as of now. Gonna try to get started on my seat box tonite. More to come…

HG
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Looking spectacular! That price seems a little high to me but that stuff adds up. Epoxy and fiberglass is heavy and expensive. Luckily you are not going to use all of it. Some of it will get wasted. Look at it this way, every bit you dont use is expensive saved weight :lol:
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Thanks Neon. Got started on my seat tonite but now I'm second guessing myself. I'm planning on putting a piece of 3/4" plywood in between the frame I welded up and the seat frame. Both will screw to the plywood and the whole thing can be moved forward. Got to add a couple of braces and cut up the plywood, a little paint and screw it all together. What do yall think?

http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... 20Uploads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HG
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Homegrown wrote:Thanks Preacher. I didn't want to build an "ugly" boat but my intent originally was to make a solid multi-use work horse that I wasn't gonna spend a lot of time trying to decorate to showroom quality and then be dragging across logs and gravel bars. What I've come to realize though is that I may only do this a hand full of times at most so why not spend a little extra effort and make it something you can be proud to show off. I just noticed on the email that UPS sent that my total package weight was 42 lbs. I hope not all of that winds up in my boat. The hull weighs around 20lbs as of now. Gonna try to get started on my seat box tonite. More to come…

HG
Yeah, Gerald once wrote me, "are you building a fishing boat or something to put on the coffee table to look at?" and I said, "YES."
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Got started on the exterior fillets last night. Gotta cut my stitches out of the way and finish up tonight. Got my seat all put together too.

HG

Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

How quick can I go back on top of the glass with the fill coat(s) after getting it applied to the exterior of the hull? I'm thinking that this evening when I get home I can start sanding first then fillet the stitches and apply the glass while the stitch fillets are still "wet". If I can start putting a fill coat(s) on soon after it could save me some time Saturday. First thing Saturday morning flip it over and fillet inside. Then flip it back over and continue applying fill coats to the exterior. My wife and kids are out of town until Saturday night so I'm trying to use my time wisely. Thx

HG
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

HG doing fill coats before a full cure is a benifit, chemical bonding, no need to sand for mechanical bond.But it has to have set up some before you apply fill coats, same with fillets, let them set up some 1st then glass over for good bonding and nice smooth joints.

MM
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Thanks MM. Got it filleted but decided to wait on the glass until I had more time. Gotta finish sanding my fillets tonight and maybe I can get some glass on it tomorrow. I did get the stern deck glassed and like the way it turned out. Prob gonna just glue the decks on instead of trying to keep the bow removable like I had planned. Ready to get it slimed!

HG
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Looks like you are going to be spending some time at the boat ramp with this thing. Looking really good!
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Yea trust me this boat will be used for anything and everything I can think of to use it for and then some. Hopefully not spending any more time at the ramp than i have to! Got her all sanded and washed down tonight with some help from Archer4Life. Ready for glass mañana. Bout to put a fill coat on my stern deck and glass the under side of the bow deck. More to come…

HG

neon14

Post by neon14 »

Two people sanding on one boat! Thats against the rules :lol:

Oh, by the way. Nice chair!
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Got the exterior of the hull glassed. Was definitely the hardest part of this build so far. Got one small area that will have to be sanded out and patched but overall I thought it went well. Got the bow deck glassed also. Gonna start putting fill coats on em both tomorrow evening and get the bulkheads stripped up. Hopefully ready by this next weekend. Planning a trip to Destin, Florida at the end of this month and gotta get this thing fresh water slimed first so I can work out the kinks in my rigging. Can't wait to paddle this thing!

HG

awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Beautiful boat...It'll turn heads...
Be nice to have a TV gathering
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

awoodman wrote:Beautiful boat...It'll turn heads...
I'd definitly be up for that, though my old workhorse would be the ugly duckling with all the beauties that have come through this forum of late.

MM
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

awoodman wrote:Beautiful boat...It'll turn heads...

Thanks Awoodman. Hoping to turn a few fish heads when I set that hook! I'd be up for a gathering if I could fit it into my schedule. Would like to see some of you guys work and shake a few hands. This is just my first build but def not my last. More still to come…

HG
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

This is just my first build but def not my last. More still to come…

HG[/quote]
Like the old potato-chip commercial "you can't eat (build) just one"....
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Another question came to mind. When y'all put the bulkheads back in the hull for the cockpit, storage areas, etc do they get filleted to the hull or just glassed in? Planning on trying to get the inside of the hull glassed tonight. Should I put all of the fill coats on the exterior first or does it matter? I was thinking on waiting on fill coats until after inside of hull is glassed and decks are attached so that everything gets filled more uniformly. Do the decks get glassed to the hull or glassed separately and just glued on? I'm sure there's more than one way to do it just curious as to how y'all go about it. Thx

HG

bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

You will need to run filets around the bulkheads so the glass will lay right. I glass my decks inside and then glue them down and run glass on top of them lapping down the sides a couple inches.
Ron
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Gotcha. Thanks Ron. Got the inside of the hull glassed tonight. Even harder than I thought but done. Just about out of hardner do guess I gotta order more. I'm planning on leaving the excess glass from the inside and will stick it as best as I can to the underside of the decks after I glue em on. Not as easy as on the outside but I've got a lot of filling to do already and was trying to avoid having another seam to feather and make go away. If need be I've still got plenty of glass to tape it outside as well. Will just take more epoxy. Gonna get her back on a scale tomorrow and see where we stand but I think we're still well under 40.

HG
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

Great job! Beautiful! :clap: